EFE LSWR Cross-country coach sets

AY Mod

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Well, I decided to sell off my SR stuff and focus on the SR pregrouping companies, so …

IMG_2228.jpeg

Edited by MattR
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here. Would these LSWR cross country sets have been used on the Waterloo - Reading line?

Looking to model something inspired by Reading 1960s - 1980s, but already have some big four rolling stock and like the idea of running LSWR, SECR and GWR together on high days and holy days.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Sean Emmett said:

Looking to model something inspired by Reading 1960s - 1980s, but already have some big four rolling stock and like the idea of running LSWR, SECR and GWR together on high days and holy days.

The Western and Southern lines at Reading were quite separate, so if one wants elements of both one is really looking at two layouts! The period you mention was of course one of great change - including the closure of Reading Southern in 1965.

The Reading - Waterloo services were electrified in 1939 and the Reading - Guildford etc. route was worked by DMUs from 1965, at which point the ex-Southern locomotive depot closed.

I think you probably want to look further west and a decade or two earlier for the bucolic delights you have in mind.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The Reading to Redhill line saw plenty of variety in BR days, including ex-GWR locos, worth a look at.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The Western and Southern lines at Reading were quite separate, so if one wants elements of both one is really looking at two layouts! The period you mention was of course one of great change - including the closure of Reading Southern in 1965.

The Reading - Waterloo services were electrified in 1939 and the Reading - Guildford etc. route was worked by DMUs from 1965, at which point the ex-Southern locomotive depot closed.

I think you probably want to look further west and a decade or two earlier for the bucolic delights you have in mind.

Edited by Sean Emmett
Sorry, wanted to reply generally rather than this specific post.

Thx for the replies. Yes I'm very familiar with Reading and I did say inspired by! My own experience of changing trains there goes back to 1975.

I have seen the vids of John Southern's layout and I'm sorry to hear the reasons why it had to be broken up.

Layout will be in the loft, but I clearly don't have space for all that. So I'm looking for 4 track main line with main station as a focal point, SE bay for Waterloo / Redhill trains and SW bay for Basingstoke / Newbury locals. Bay on N side ('p10') for PAD terminators and parcels etc.

No room for bays in the middle island, and its unlikely I can fit the centre roads in.

But I want of a feel of Southern as well as Western.

Appreciate during the steam era most inter-regionals from Basingstoke avoided the main station, but I'll find a place for them. 

Reading supposedly the 3 Bs - beer, biscuits and bulbs. Got some Dapol Simonds wagons so I'll have a brewery. Would like that Hornby Huntley & Palmer pack to serve a biscuit factory. Will have to sort something for Suttons seeds.

Then there's a gasworks and gaol to fit in. Maybe even a power station!

Lots of Victorian terraces on approach to Reading, so they can do for all eras. Looking at some 1960s - 1970s era office blocks which could be swapped around for something more traditional when running pre-grouping or grouping, or plate glass for contemporay.

For me it's about feel not absolute accuracy. Flying Scotsman will appear on an excursion from time to time.

But coming back to the thread I would like to know whether the Hornby LSWR cross country sets would have appeared at Reading, esp on the Waterloo services pre-grouping up to electrification  1939. I assume they did, but searching through my many books and online I can't find a definitive answer. It would be nice to know!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Sean Emmett said:

But coming back to the thread I would like to know whether the Hornby LSWR cross country sets would have appeared at Reading, esp on the Waterloo services pre-grouping up to electrification  1939. I assume they did, but searching through my many books and online I can't find a definitive answer. It would be nice to know!

From a photograph I have seen of a LSWR train leaving Earley, probably pre-Great War, I thing at that time the four-and-a-half sets were being used.

But certainly the EFE LSWR sets could act as a stand-in - one is unlikely ever to see anything closer, RTR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The Waterloo-Reading services in the 1930s, before electrification used the exLSWR sets produced by EFE, also the similar sets with sliding doors on the brake compartments. They were often hauled by exSECR F1 4-4-0 or exLSWR M7 0-4-4T, no doubt other types were used. Here is F1 1195 on such a service at Reading.

Reading LSWR BTL 1938.jpg

Edited by mclong
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

In practice the various four coach non-corridor "cross country" sets and the "4½" sets (four 48ft bogie carriages and a six wheel van) would have been pretty much interchangeable.  They had similar amounts of passenger and luggage accommodation.

Keith

Alton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Alas,  I was not aware of the package dimensions of the four-car SR Maunsell (LSWR)  "cross-country" set and thus have had to cancel my order with a particular store due the high cost invoiced to ship this package.  Followiis information for Australian customers who may have taken a fancy to the set.

"For the information of others downunder who may be interested in the EFE-Rail four car cross country set on sale at the store,  it appears that the packaging dimensions for this set exceed Royal Mail limits and thus the set must be sent by courier.  Personally I do have doubs as to this but this is the response from the store in question regarding my enquiry as to the seemingly high shipping cost invoiced,

Quote:  "........., due to the dimensions of the E86012, this would be subject to volumetric weight not actual weight, therefore it would require courier service which is £40.38 for the individual item."  

Thus shipping with Royal Mail on this set is not available."

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Alas,  I was not aware of the package dimensions of the four-car SR Maunsell (LSWR)  "cross-country" set and thus have had to cancel my order with a particular store due the high cost invoiced to ship this package. 

Royal Mail limit is defined as "Length + width + depth no more than 90cm with no single side longer than 60cm."

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Alas,  I was not aware of the package dimensions of the four-car SR Maunsell (LSWR)  "cross-country" set and thus have had to cancel my order with a particular store due the high cost invoiced to ship this package.  Followiis information for Australian customers who may have taken a fancy to the set.

"For the information of others downunder who may be interested in the EFE-Rail four car cross country set on sale at the store,  it appears that the packaging dimensions for this set exceed Royal Mail limits and thus the set must be sent by courier.  Personally I do have doubs as to this but this is the response from the store in question regarding my enquiry as to the seemingly high shipping cost invoiced,

Quote:  "........., due to the dimensions of the E86012, this would be subject to volumetric weight not actual weight, therefore it would require courier service which is £40.38 for the individual item."  

Thus shipping with Royal Mail on this set is not available."

There is a big BUT here. Although the courier fee is high, Australia is supplied from the UK  VAT free. The 20% tax reduction off-sets the courier fee. Plus if bought in the UK there would still be a delivery charge on top of the product price. Even basic delivery at £4.00 (Aus$7.72) adds to the price. The UK price is £141.25

The £169.50 is after £23.54 tax has been taken off that you do not have to pay. Off-set this tax reduction tax against $40.38 and the delivery is now more reasonable.

I always ask around if anyone else wants anything sent to Queensland. There is always someone who is after something. I bought mine full price (£233 AGHH which reduced to £198)  and with added some other bits and pieces. The courier fee was less than the tax reduction. BARGAIN!

Another trick. Do you want the box? I have had items removed from boxes a repacked in plain cartons before now to meet Post Office requirements.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1