Fryers Lane v2.0

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

You forgot to mention the festival cart...

I'm preferring the drive the van into the hall and open the side doors approach.

6 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Thankfully Mark made it easy for me and only had one each of the wheels, nose and window options. As an added bonus, the number on the loco side was mostly the same as the chip.

Fear not, I have plans to make things a bit more interesting for next time...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Another board?

It’s always an option; never rule it out.

I have recently been thinking about whether a future development could be an additional module depicting the off scene sidings served by the rear siding on the current layout.

I’d do it in a way that meant to could work as a separate stand alone layout or be joined up to Fryers at exhibitions or if space becomes available at home.  I’ve already got a baseboard that would work with a few minor adjustments.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

It’s always an option; never rule it out.

I have recently been thinking about whether a future development could be an additional module depicting the off scene sidings served by the rear siding on the current layout.

I’d do it in a way that meant to could work as a separate stand alone layout or be joined up to Fryers at exhibitions or if space becomes available at home.  I’ve already got a baseboard that would work with a few minor adjustments.

The dock yard?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

We did have a very naughty turnout, thankfully one that could be ignored. I did offer fine tuning with a large yomma, but sadly Mark not overly keen.

My Grandad Charlie making a slight adjustment to facing points detection at Proof House 1950s style. 

I was using that very hammer yesterday, well at least the head. It's had at least one new handle since then.

Charlie0010.JPG.604f9d99beeaed9c6b448d6d468023ec.JPG

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

My Grandad Charlie making a slight adjustment to facing points detection at Proof House 1950s style. 

I was using that very hammer yesterday, well at least the head. It's had at least one new handle since then.

Charlie0010.JPG.604f9d99beeaed9c6b448d6d468023ec.JPG

Can you imagine the H&S that would need to be in place now for that?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

Given that I inadvertently took an EM loco with me (and tried to run it) that might not be a bad idea

Spookily didn't seem overly keen on the P4 turnouts, even if you ran it at full speed...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Can you imagine the H&S that would need to be in place now for that?

Although the layout has changed a bit you are not even allowed to walk along the track there without a line blockage now. Proof House signal box is the dark area on the left so right under the eye of the signalman then. Just go up to the box, agree with the signalman what you were going to do. Put a reminder collar on the lever of the protecting signal, countersign the entry in the train register and get on with the job.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Although the layout has changed a bit you are not even allowed to walk along the track there without a line blockage now. Proof House signal box is the dark area on the left so right under the eye of the signalman then. Just go up to the box, agree with the signalman what you were going to do. Put a reminder collar on the lever of the protecting signal, countersign the entry in the train register and get on with the job.

Not sure if you'd get in more trouble for going on the track unaccompanied or having a fag on the go whilst working!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

My main focus for this week is on getting a few things ready for Stafford exhibition where I'll be demonstrating 4mm scale wagons.  I'll have a selection of stock from Fryers Lane as well stock from previous and future layout projects - if you're at the show come and say hello.

Meanwhile, over on the layout, investigation into the turnout troubles have begun.

IMG_20240926_134357.jpg.308ce555880760c35a67cf06af0761bd.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Think I've spotted where the issue is and I've circled it. Stuff will definitely struggle there.

turnoutissue.jpg.9bf1355d31210ba7ce5fbf96fa196be7.jpg

Thanks.  I think this insight combined with the other advice I've received to fit Lima "pizza cutter" wheels, gauged to EM in heavier wagons driven at higher speeds should mean I have this sorted in no time at all.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

Thanks.  I think this insight combined with the other advice I've received to fit Lima "pizza cutter" wheels, gauged to EM in heavier wagons driven at higher speeds should mean I have this sorted in no time at all.

I like to see a chap willing to heed other chap's advice and put it into practice, you know it makes sense!

Mike