TheTalkinLens' North Eastern Railway workbench

17 hours ago, thetalkinlens said:

I've been working on two N.E.R. diagram K1 cattle wagons the last few weeks. One an un-started example in D&S packaging and another fully built, but in need of a refurb and some tlc. I had only intended to do the rescue job, but thought it would be an interesting exercise to compare it to a fresh out of the box build.

Here is the rescue job as purchased. It's in LNER livery, with clasp brake shoes, westinghouse and vacuum pipes on the headstocks. The paint is very thickly applied loosing a lot of the casting detail. Overall, it's been built well (soldered), but finished poorly.

IMG_7714.jpeg.9ff730d7a325a76e40635c21e22f84c9.jpeg

So time to start taking things apart. The roof although the right size had not been glued in place well. The floor has been taken out, but this will go back in later...

image10.jpeg.666ec54beef504cb1943785ce68ec5f6.jpeg

With all none metal parts removed, a thick coating of paint stripper left overnight to soak in. I repeated this three times...

image9.jpeg.ecf808c12bb249e2a558256653a26313.jpeg

With the bulk of the paint stripped, the fitted details have been taken off the headstocks and the clasp brake shoes removed. The three links were a bit chunky so these have also been removed. I intend to use screw link anyway. The end hand rails were missing, so these have been added, plus some single side brake shoes to make this a none fitted example.

image6.jpeg.b0961a9c5c4ec8f0bb8861fb378fa2ee.jpeg

Now to the fresh out of the box model. Little to say about this other than it went together very easily.

image8.jpeg.263a7c5c51051797131ce1a1f9aa02c2.jpeg

And here are the pair together ready for painting...

image7.jpeg.6e986de5b137340e03f97a21dd035161.jpeg

And then painted, transfers applied and Smiths screw link couplings fitted. The question is, is it possible to tell which is the rescue job? Any guesses?

image2.jpeg.8453547e1efe640449dac8540776052a.jpeg

I intend to weather these and then add white paint on the two bottom planks along the sides to represent lime wash.

I think that the one on the right is the rescue job, but the only way I could tell was the underframe detailing being different between the two

6 hours ago, Emery Hill Station said:

I think that the one on the right is the rescue job, but the only way I could tell was the underframe detailing being different between the two

Correct! Though the underframe detail is the same on both, just one wagon is the opposite way round in the picture so the single side brake shoes are on the far side on 23130.

This week I've been working on this N.E.R. weight hut, which closely resembles that at Aysgarth in Wensleydale. I built one to the same drawings in brick last year.

image0.jpeg.d5b7a8b35124326736b46630ba27e3de.jpeg

The downpipe fittings and chimney pot are from Modelu

image1.jpeg.2c6b04608c2d9ef9a1b6210cb9fee5b4.jpeg

From the rear...

image2.jpeg.a014c57315dcd5c4158358dacb5c3ae8.jpeg

And here it is next to the brick version. I have plans for both...

image3.jpeg.ada8cdaa3366498d9c0254b3df46142f.jpeg

• Like 15

In 2012 the Wensleydale Railway held an Open Day at Aysgarth Station. Since then I believe that the station is now in private ownership so the prospect of that happening again would appear remote. Anywho, here a few of the photographs I took of the Weighbridge:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Obviously a little late for your model! There was a "Gallery" album on here with some of the photographs I took. It looks like the photographs have disappeared from the album. I still have all the photos I took that day so if someone knows how I could reload them I could copy them back in full resolution. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

In 2012 the Wensleydale Railway held an Open Day at Aysgarth Station. Since then I believe that the station is now in private ownership so the prospect of that happening again would appear remote. Anywho, here a few of the photographs I took of the Weighbridge:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Obviously a little late for your model! There was a "Gallery" album on here with some of the photographs I took. It looks like the photographs have disappeared from the album. I still have all the photos I took that day so if someone knows how I could reload them I could copy them back in full resolution. 

Thanks for posting these pictures @Rumblestripe, I had managed to find a few through Google searches for reference, but not of all angles including the rear. It's great that Aysgarth for the most part has unaltered structures.