can anyone identify this decoder

Quintus

I recently purchased a second hand Dapol O gauge 57xx pannier with dcc sound.

I thought it was possibly a Loksound decoder, as it came with a Howes leaflet, but when I began to adjust some of the CV's I found that some of them did not correlate with the ESU manual.

I asked the vendor if he knew what decoder was fitted, and apparently the sound decoder was fitted by Hattons.

Can anyone identify the decoder from the photo?20221014_174703.jpg.6214e467326f38514ea4e892924cb098.jpg9

24 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Many thanks,I think that is the one.

I downloaded the ESU manual but many of the CV functions don't correlate with the manual.

For instance, CV2 should be start voltage, default setting is 3. I usually set this to 1, but doing this just sends the chuffs per revolution sky high.

CV371 should change the volume of Flange noise, but on this decoder CV331 does it (found by trial and error)

Is this situation normal?  I am reluctant th try more changes until I can find what CV does what on this decoder.

I set CV8 =8 and tried again, but no change

30 minutes ago, RFS said:

Suggest you read back CV8 (manufacturer) and CV7 (decoder model). Then look them up in this document to find out what you have. 

Unfortunately CV7 is not the decoder model on Zimo or ESU decoders. It's the Software/Firmware version number.

Regards,

John P

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Many thanks,I think that is the one.

I downloaded the ESU manual but many of the CV functions don't correlate with the manual.

For instance, CV2 should be start voltage, default setting is 3. I usually set this to 1, but doing this just sends the chuffs per revolution sky high.

CV371 should change the volume of Flange noise, but on this decoder CV331 does it (found by trial and error)

Is this situation normal?  I am reluctant th try more changes until I can find what CV does what on this decoder.

I set CV8 =8 and tried again, but no change

How the elements in an ESU decoder are assigned, and thus what some CV's control, is set by the sound project writer.   The project writer sets CV values which will be applied by a CV8 reset.     A CV8 reset doesn't return the decoder to "ex-factory" (which is how the ESU manual describes things), it returns the decoder to "ex-sound-project-writer".   
(Many years ago, the decoder reset with CV8 in an ESU decoder returned things to "ex-factory" and it caused lots of grief as end-users "lost" access to their sounds until they painstakingly reset all the CV's the sound project writer had changed.  ESU changed this behaviour). 

When discussing CV's above 255, the index CV's (CV31 and CV31) are essential, and must be set first.  Otherwise you're accessing something other than the CV you think it is.  (CV371 appears half a dozen times in an ESU V4, controlling different things depending on the "index" values.  ).    Even within the sound slots, as you've found, the sound project writer is free to use the slots in almost any arrangement, so you may find sound-slot 8 is used for one thing in one project, and another in a different project.  

Deducing how things are arranged (be it sound slot or function mapping row) within a sound project without documentation from the sound project writer can take quite a long time, and a lot of CV reading.    It is considerably quicker (though still takes a while to interpret the results) if there is either a LokProgrammer (ESU hardware and software) or a computer interface to a DCC system using JMRI to speed up reading the hundreds, if not thousands, of CVs involved.   

ESU decoders can be identified to quite a high level of detail with the appropriate CVs.   JMRI can do this automatically, as can a LokProgrammer.  

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I am no expert at DCC, but usually muddle my way through.

I set CV 31 OK, so I got that far!

As you say, the project writer sets what goes into the CV's, so all I really need is the information from Hattons in the simple form of a CV list, as without it I am lost.

I have emailed Hattons asking if they have any info on the pannier sound project, and am awaiting a reply. Apparently the sound project was loaded by a chap called Brian Robinson.

Think I will stick with Zimo in future!

On 16/10/2022 at 06:51, TPC said:

Have a look at the sound projects on ESU site.  You might find it there including the CV list for the project.

I have downloaded the information sheet fro ESU for the Loksound V4.  The sounds listed tie in with some, but not all on this decoder, but trial and error has sorted most of them.

The loco also chuffed to a standstill which was annoying! But I have sorted this by adjusting the brake threshold, that CV fortunately did tie up with the ESU list.

I have also heard back from Hattons, but they are unable to throw any light on the problem, as they have not been involved with sound projects for some years.

Thanks to you all for your help