All Creatures great & small

birdseyecircus

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, birdseyecircus said:

Channel 5s reboot of All creatures shown tonight ( 13th Oct )had some lovely railway scenes shot on the Worth Valley at Keighley, even though some of the liveries were out of period.

Paul

Most of them

Taff Vale tank, BR late crest Jubilee but with LMS smokebox number, Mk1s with Eastern region numbering etc. etc. At least there was a Midland 0-6-0!

When it come to TV series you just have to suspend all thought of reality.

The sailor was off back to sea up the valley to Oxenhope!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Most of them

Taff Vale tank, BR late crest Jubilee but with LMS smokebox number, Mk1s with Eastern region numbering etc. etc. At least there was a Midland 0-6-0!

When it come to TV series you just have to suspend all thought of reality.

The sailor was off back to sea up the valley to Oxenhope!

So they finished the line then? 😃

The original plan was to carry on to Hebden Bridge. If you look on Google Maps and then travel South West you can see the route it would have taken. Never happened for various reasons.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, HSB said:

No worse than Heartbeat when they had a Southern liveried loco in one episode.

That was the first Heartbeat I had seen and had no idea what was going on because of the S15 clearly part of the programme. A few episodes in I realised the entire thing was intended as a fairy tale or cartoon. What I didn't understand was why the NYMR couldn't have turned out a late BR era finished steam loco when that was the period that most of the programme was based in (although they took a lot of liberties with social history)

Paul

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2022 at 23:00, hmrspaul said:

That was the first Heartbeat I had seen and had no idea what was going on because of the S15 clearly part of the programme. A few episodes in I realised the entire thing was intended as a fairy tale or cartoon. What I didn't understand was why the NYMR couldn't have turned out a late BR era finished steam loco when that was the period that most of the programme was based in (although they took a lot of liberties with social history)

Paul

On a few occasions they got it right, such as having a BR Standard Tank and their 4MT too. Other locos, such as Sir Nigel Gresley and a class 40, may have appeared in the Eastern Region but unlikely on the secondary route that was Malton to Whitby. That said, I went to Ampleforth and I gather from speaking to someone else who went there in the 1950s/60s that when the railway line was open A3s would haul the London bound school trains between Gilling station and Kings Cross.

• RMweb Premium

EE Type 4’s worked into Whitby from York via Malton on passenger services hauling BR Suburban stock in 1965 including the last day.

One even worked southbound from Whitby to Scarborough.  Fortunately Ken Hoole photographed the occasion.

Alan

17 hours ago, Liam said:

On a few occasions they got it right, such as having a BR Standard Tank and their 4MT too. Other locos, such as Sir Nigel Gresley and a class 40, may have appeared in the Eastern Region but unlikely on the secondary route that was Malton to Whitby. That said, I went to Ampleforth and I gather from speaking to someone else who went there in the 1950s/60s that when the railway line was open A3s would haul the London bound school trains between Gilling station and Kings Cross.

Why have you quoted me?

I am fully aware that A4s, other Pacifics, Peaks, and other type 4 diesels all worked these lines through to Scarborough, Ampleforth etc. What I was saying was what was an S15 being used for. It completely confused me because I had never seen the programme before. I am reasonably sure a freight loco used on the South Western wouldn't have appeared in North Yorkshire in the late 1950s and early 1960s. 

Paul

23 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Why have you quoted me?

I am fully aware that A4s, other Pacifics, Peaks, and other type 4 diesels all worked these lines through to Scarborough, Ampleforth etc. What I was saying was what was an S15 being used for. It completely confused me because I had never seen the programme before. I am reasonably sure a freight loco used on the South Western wouldn't have appeared in North Yorkshire in the late 1950s and early 1960s. 

Paul

I quoted you because you were talking about Heartbeat, a programme I enjoy, and I agree that sometimes they relied simply on whatever locos the NYMR had in operation at the time. That seems to have been the case in the episode you mention, because I vaguely recall that episode and I may well be wrong but I don’t think that the S15 was supposed to be in any other location but the North Riding, be that in a normal scene or one depicting a fairy tale (which was likely also set in the local area).

Another episode saw thieves use a ‘rogue’ engine (in this case an ex GWR 56xx) to make off with several wagons of wine and spirits. Again, a 56xx shouldn’t be in that area normally but if the criminal underworld have control of it then anything could happen.