Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, natterjack said:

In a world of joined-up thinking we'd be seeing a concurrent release in TT120.

Probably not.  With a model aimed at collectors there is a limited market and TT120 is not, I reckon, at the moment seen as a collector market.  Two lots of tooling costs more than one lot of tooling and a smaller scale model might hit sales of the HD branded model to the less well heeled collecting sorts.  

Better to concentrate on the high end, higher price/bigger profit margin, item I think.  Hornby of course might see it differently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Probably not.

So, would the same apply to the forthcoming Coronation (plus Silver Jubilee and tourist stock basic tooling) where TT120 already offers the motive power?

Edited by natterjack
correction

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Im happy to scratchbuild stuff like sheds and stations ( if I can engineer TT brick paper )

If you buy downloadable 00 brick paper from one of the online retailers (eg Scalescenes, other retailers are available), and print it at 63.5%, that will get you TT brick paper.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, smr248 said:

I might be in the minority but I quite like Sam's Trains.  IMO though this video is not one of his better ones.  A snapshot in time, some basic maths and ultimately misleading (I didn't watch the whole thing so I might have missed something, although I doubt it).

He suggests that TT has affected the design of new OO products by Hornby, which might be true.

Apparently, based on his criteria, Rapido are currently number 1!?

He is just taking it to the logical conclusion. No company has an infinite supply of money for R & D, especially one that is not posting big profits. So if Hornby invest in TT120 they don't invest much in OO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Taken at the Great Electric Train Show yesterday, with apologies for the poor quality images (taken on my phone through the glass) here are some pics of what I assume to be production versions of the TT120 J50. it looks a very competent little model indeed, albeit I didn't see one being run anywhere so can't comment on performance. As an aside, there were A3s/4s on sale at less than £100 at the show, but not everything was so heavily discounted. 

Roy

TT120 J50 BR EC.jpg

TT120 J50 LC.jpg

TT120 J50 LNER.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, smr248 said:

Anyway KFA 60' container wagon.

Why do the "modern image" lot get two types of container wagon?!

Interesting! They've kept that under the radar - unless it gets a mention in one of the Peachy/MacTrains interviews that I haven't watched yet.

I guess it is the Hornby KFA (we've seen some limited CAD shots of that) as opposed to the ex-Arnold Sffgmss ones that are also shown. There are two KFAs listed in the catalogue, one with a tanktainer.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2024 at 11:55, Porfuera said:

Interesting! They've kept that under the radar - unless it gets a mention in one of the Peachy/MacTrains interviews that I haven't watched yet.

I guess it is the Hornby KFA (we've seen some limited CAD shots of that) as opposed to the ex-Arnold Sffgmss ones that are also shown. There are two KFAs listed in the catalogue, one with a tanktainer.

I believe that this is the first of the "Phase 3" models.  Obviously this is just a 3D print (I assume).

I do find the H info a bit confusing.  Are they still even using "Phases"?

54 minutes ago, smr248 said:

I believe that this is the first of the "Phase 3” models… …Are they still even using "Phases"?

I’m sure that one of the official Hornby interview videos mentioned they were shifting away from the phases terminology. But the KFA wagons and the 9F, Castle, Class 37 and Class 47 were all part of the original ‘phase three’ if I recall correctly, so I feel it’s okay to keep using the term. 😀

It’s interesting that the press release specifically mentions the class 37 as part of the models being released over the ‘next few months’. Perhaps we will see it before the end of 2025?

3 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Plans for the next 5 years, how nice

hopefully the naysayers will wind it in a bit

im looking forward to see what comes as the models I have are stunning little things 

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/news/story-Hornby-tt120

Except they don’t say what the plans are …..a bit more concrete info would be good !

4 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Plans for the next 5 years, how nice

hopefully the naysayers will wind it in a bit

im looking forward to see what comes as the models I have are stunning little things 

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/news/story-Hornby-tt120

What’s coming up? "A Few other secrets!" 

That sounds exciting! I wonder what they'll eventually be?  I'm also wondering if it's newly tooled for TT:120? Or that it is something Hornby haven't done already in OO Gauge?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Got a new diesel , got an old diesel, got some east coast steam….my money is on copper chimney stuff 

Yeah the Pannier and the Castle would seem likely candidates for a reveal/announcement over the next month or two (especially as it’s the 2nd anniversary of the original unveiling of the TT range and those locos were part of ‘Phase 3’)

10 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

What’s coming up? "A Few other secrets!" 

That sounds exciting! I wonder what they'll eventually be?  I'm also wondering if it's newly tooled for TT:120? Or that it is something Hornby haven't done already in OO Gauge?

I'd be over the moon if it were a Merchant Navy or Hall or Grange... a Hymek or Warship would also be nice.

Has there been any mention recently of the 57xx?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think a Class 20 would be nice..... It'd get my idea of a Scottish region layout a boost..... Just need some blue/grey Mk1's too......