Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

7 hours ago, Hobby said:

Are any of the N ones convertible or conversely a small H0 or 00 one?

I had looked at a number of OO and HO turntables and they are all far too large. I must admit I never thought about looking at N gauge turntables.

Atlas make one (Atlas part 2790) shown here on the Rails site along with a motor add-on. It has a 7-1/2" diameter deck (189mm) which scales too about 76ft in TT:120. I don't like the look of it though, either with the manual option, or with the control room which hides the motor. The Atlas turntable generally gets positive reviews according to this Amazon review site. One unhappy reviewer does warn about removing the rotating plate as contact with the track is made via spring loaded 'cups' which are difficult to get back in position if the turntable is taken apart. Any changes to the turntable (avoiding disassembly) would probably have to involve creating a false plasticard deck above the existing N gauge track with a couple of wires between the upper TT:120 bridge and the hidden N gauge track below.

Just a thought if anyone does decide to investigate the idea; to prevent any substantial changes to the N gauge turntable contact with the 9mm rails could be achieved via pairs of metal wagon wheels, one pair at each end of the deck, firmly fixed to the TT:120 deck above and held in place with upright pins inserted into pre-drilled holes on the N gauge deck. The pins would positioned up against the 9mm axels to prevent longitudinal movement of the new TT:120 deck. With wheels making contact with the 9mm track there would be no need to solder wires to the N gauge track. The solder connections from the TT:120 track above would be to the wheels resting on the N gauge track below. The only change to the original deck would be a couple of small carefully positioned holes for the retaining pins.

PS Having just seen the recent posts about the Class 31 and 37 I might eventually dispose of my pacifics and just run tank engines and green diesels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartinRS said:

PS Having just seen the recent posts about the Class 31 and 37 I might eventually dispose of my pacifics and just run tank engines and green diesels.

Despite the positivity of seeing those CAD drawings I think you might have quite a time to wait! So don't be hasty in getting rid of those pacifics 😂

4 hours ago, scots region said:

These look really, really good. A game changer for this scale if Hornby can pull it off. 

Agreed. There's a long way to go, but they certainly look impressive. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, scots region said:

A game changer for this scale

I dunno, there's some extremely high-end stuff already available in TT that's as good as anything in H0... I know you meant British, but I can't stress enough people need to remember this isn't a UK-only thing anymore, you're playing with a global standard scale now. :)

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

I dunno, there's some extremely high-end stuff already available in TT that's as good as anything in H0... I know you meant British, but I can't stress enough people need to remember this isn't a UK-only thing anymore, you're playing with a global standard scale now. :)

Yep. Well said. It's nice to be part of something bigger... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 29/07/2024 at 21:35, scots region said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/hornbytt120-club/members-area/blog-and-news/mgr-hoppers-and-mineral-wagons

These look really, really good. A game changer for this scale if Hornby can pull it off. 

Nine different variations of the BR Class 37! That's very interesting! I hope that they'll cover all of the BR Class 37 liveries from all periods of British Rail, Pre-TOPS 1957-1971 ERA 7 British Rail TOPS 1971-1986 and ERA 8 (BR Sectorisation) 1982-1997. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RyanN91 said:

Nine different variations of the BR Class 37! That's very interesting! I hope that they'll cover all of the BR Class 37 liveries from all periods of British Rail, Pre-TOPS 1957-1971 ERA 7 British Rail TOPS 1971-1986 and ERA 8 (BR Sectorisation) 1982-1997. 

Looking at the images, they certainly have suitable candidates for BR Green & BR Blue, then Scottish examples for the Steam Heat period plus the post refurb and 37/4s.

That's a good collection to go at for a Western Region, Eastern Region or Scottish Region layout plus the 31s of course.

• Like 3

Glad to see there's progress on the 37s! 

That's a lot of different versions. I'm mostly eras 5 to 8 but I could be tempted outside of that (rather extended period!). My wallet is going to hurt if they release all the versions in one go!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Looking at the images, they certainly have suitable candidates for BR Green & BR Blue, then Scottish examples for the Steam Heat period plus the post refurb and 37/4s.

That's a good collection to go at for a Western Region, Eastern Region or Scottish Region layout plus the 31s of course.

Yet at the moment I believe they have only listed BR Green and EWS red 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Legend said:

That is just the first batch of models.

It makes sense to design all the possible versions you can when you are making the models, it doesn't mean they have to release all the possible versions at the same time.  Given the way modern manufacturing works, with models produced in batches, it isn't practicable to do that.  Plus I doubt people's wallets would thank them if Hornby released them all at once!

I'm sure that other versions and liveries will follow in due course.

• Agree 4

14 minutes ago, Legend said:

Perhaps there is a bigger risk to Hornby in doing a big bang approach than for Accurascale.

There are a lot less TT120 modellers than OO to soak up the locos, three liveries for a steam loco - Big 4, early BR, late BR is pretty standard, but a big release of 37s across many variations sounds risky when it's not something you associate with Hornby even Bachmann are only recently edging towards it.

But once these and the 31s join the 08 and 50, you've got the ingredients for some nice western modelling, and the steam heat 37s plus 37/4 will do nicely for any West Highland layout, a 27 might be some way away though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Moxy said:

That is just the first batch of models.

It makes sense to design all the possible versions you can when you are making the models, it doesn't mean they have to release all the possible versions at the same time.  Given the way modern manufacturing works, with models produced in batches, it isn't practicable to do that.  Plus I doubt people's wallets would thank them if Hornby released them all at once!

I'm sure that other versions and liveries will follow in due course.

yeah , I know , but given Hornbys cash situation you’d have thought they release more in first batch , like a large logo 37/4 for instance 

9 minutes ago, Legend said:

yeah , I know , but given Hornbys cash situation you’d have thought they release more in first batch , like a large logo 37/4 for instance 

I was planning on skipping the tractor (due to budget) and waiting for the 31, but one in large logo would tempt me.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Legend said:

That's your preference by the sound if it, but I'm sure they'll have done some homework on what would sell before making that decision. For me a green one, or early BR blue would be preferential to a large logo or private owner livery one. As it is I'll probably get a green one! So they've lost your sale and gained mine. I suspect, given the 9 versions, we'll see 9 batches over the next year or so, so you should have too long to wait.

• Agree 1

I just want a couple of banger blue ones. It’ll be nice to have a split headcode and a centre headcode version. And obviously, they could just do a rerun with a different number in the future quite easily. I suspect the biggest sellers will be blue and green. Look at the 08’s. Can’t get a blue one for love nor money but most retailers still have DB and GBRF ones on the shelves.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Legend said:

1 hour ago, froobyone said:

I was planning on skipping the tractor (due to budget) and waiting for the 31, but one in large logo would tempt me.

We could do with something for these green/blue diesels to pull as well mind...... 

• Like 1

Just now, south_tyne said:

We could do with something for these green/blue diesels to pull as well mind...... 

I would really like to see some Mk1 parcels in b/g or all-over blue. Along with some VGA vans.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

One of those recent interviews with the Hornby guy asked that (I asked to interviewee to ask and he did) and the answer was yes, but no timescale. The green 37 can pull maroon mk1s can't it, even blood and custard?

Blue/grey mk1s would cover quite a wide timescale, though, and I like the look of a mixed maroon and blue/grey train.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, froobyone said:

I would really like to see some Mk1 parcels in b/g or all-over blue. Along with some VGA vans.

16 minutes ago, Hobby said:

One of those recent interviews with the Hornby guy asked that (I asked to interviewee to ask and he did) and the answer was yes, but no timescale. The green 37 can pull maroon mk1s can't it, even blood and custard?

Blue/grey mk1s would cover quite a wide timescale, though, and I like the look of a mixed maroon and blue/grey train.

That would be nice. There's hardly any suitable freight stock either though. Hornby's emphasis does seem to be on coaching stock rather than wagons. 

I'm glad a Hornby BR Class 37 in original BR Green will be available in TT:120! Also early liveries for the forthcoming when phase it'll be Class 31 too! They all look incredible don't they?! 

Also the TT:120 BR Class 47 is another I'm very thrilled about!.

Off topic slighty I find it strange that Hornby haven't issued a OO Gauge RailRoad Class 47 in BR Blue and I find it odd that we haven't ever had a rerun since 1990s/2000s? Of a Hornby OO Gauge BR Class 37 RailRoad Plus in early liveries! We've had BR INTERCITY swollow and BR large logo but not as yet in original BR Green livery, early BR Blue livery or even BR Railfreight grey. They would be very high sellers! Especially as we've had RailRoad and RR Plus; BR Class 40s, (in BR Green and BR Blue liveries) BR Class 47s in both BR Green and (BR Network SouthEast) BR Class 55 Deltics (BR Green and BR Blue) in original BR liveries! Although perhaps the latter (BR Class 37s and BR Class 47s) will eventually arrive in TT:120! 

Edited by RyanN91
BR Railfreight grey

Green Class 37s were seen (at least the odd one that got into the NE Region before the Western nicked them) pulling rakes of mineral wagons or 21 ton hoppers (grey ones) and mixed grey and brown vans, at least at the front end of the train.  I never saw one on a passenger though I did catch one on a parcels.

Once repainted banger blue they still worked 21 ton hopper wagons, and ran light engine with a brake van or two in tow or propelled- which end the brakes were depended partly on which way round they had been left in the stabling point at (West) Hartlepool and partly whether the coal train they were off to pick up was heading North or South- southbound trains would usually be collected by a loco propelling the brake North first.

The blue 37s continued to work Merry Go Round wagons at least until 1980, when I left Teesside and moved to the midlands.  I'm fairly sure there were still some filthy green ones running by this time though they were hard to tell apart from the filthy blue ones.....

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m surprised that Hornby haven’t released mk1s in blue/grey , although I suppose up until the Class 50 there was nothing for them to pull . Ideal for forthcoming 37s and 31s though . I still think the 47 would be better being up the  list in releases . That would then give BR blue modellers some critical mass and enable a lot more layouts to be justified . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Personally I think they've done enough diesels with the 31 and 37, rather than go for even more at this stage I'd rather they concentrated on the steam engines they'd announced at the outset. 

• Agree 2