Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

1 hour ago, MartinRS said:

I see that the Duchess ships with an adaptor to fit a coupling to the pony truck. Has anyone with the Duchess and any of the other pacifics investigated if it is possible to fit the coupler housing to other locomotives?

No the duchess pony truck is a different design. Ive not looked at it in detail but a cursory investigation suggests you would need a fair amount of work to fit it to the other classes. It’s possible a future revised version of the A2/A4 might have this front coupler option (especially as the original locos had a few teething problems so a redesign or upgrade might happen at some point).

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, J-Lewis said:

No the duchess pony truck is a different design. Ive not looked at it in detail but a cursory investigation suggests you would need a fair amount of work to fit it to the other classes. It’s possible a future revised version of the A2/A4 might have this front coupler option (especially as the original locos had a few teething problems so a redesign or upgrade might happen at some point).

Thanks for taking the time to look even if the outcome is disappointing. I might just have to revise my plans. I was intending to design a point to point layout with a continuous run using the Hornby pacifics. With the present availability of locos and the need for two turntables (at £370 each even with a discount from Roco) I think I'm going to wait until tank engines and diesels (of a type found East of the Pennines) are available.

5 hours ago, MartinRS said:

Thanks for taking the time to look even if the outcome is disappointing. I might just have to revise my plans. I was intending to design a point to point layout with a continuous run using the Hornby pacifics. With the present availability of locos and the need for two turntables (at £370 each even with a discount from Roco) I think I'm going to wait until tank engines and diesels (of a type found East of the Pennines) are available.

I’m pretty sure that West Hill Wagon Works have noted a gap in the TT120 turntable market, if they do get around to designing one, it’s likely to fit the various kits (motor operated or hand cranked) available currently for Peco’s N/HOm version (which is just that little bit too short for a Pacific + tender wheelbase) 

• Like 1

Hornby offering a discount on in-stock and pre-orders this weekend. Might be worth a look if your membership discount has lapsed. There are a few interesting items still available for preorder including the J50.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J-Lewis said:

Hornby offering a discount on in-stock and pre-orders this weekend. Might be worth a look if your membership discount has lapsed. There are a few interesting items still available for preorder including the J50.

Can’t see how you apply the 20% ? I test ordered something to the basket and it wasn’t applied 

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

It's applied automatically, but only to 'in stock' items. It doesn't show on pre-orders, which is a bit worrying.

Edited by Nile
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

That's correct Ben, the discount on pre-orders is only 10%. But I'm still not seeing any discount if I try a pre-order.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

I just tried to pre-order a model and on checkout a discount of 10%, not 20%, was applied.

Has anyone else had this?

cheers

Ben A.

Yes, that is one of the terms & conditions.

It's 20% off items in stock, only 10% off pre-orders.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The actual legal terms for the sale don't actually mention pre-orders even though the blurb does...

https://uk.Hornby.com/terms-conditions/club-20-percent-discount-weekend-terms-and-conditions

3. Discount Details

Members of the Hornby Collector Club are eligible for a 20% discount on all 00 gauge products.

Members of the TT:120 Products Club are eligible for a 20% discount on all TT:120 products. Exclusions apply to selected scenic products.

The discount applies only to in-stock products available on Hornby.com.

The discount cannot be combined with any other promotions, offers, or discounts.

I think they are in a muddle over these offers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It's on the original email they sent to club members

"Enjoy 20% off in stock items!

(And 10% off pre-orders)

To say thank you for being a Hornby TT:120 Club member, we're giving you 20% off in-stock orders and 10% off pre-orders for one weekend only!*

Hurry – you only have until 29th July to take advantage of this offer.

Have a wonderful weekend!"

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

use top cash back to get another 4.25% back, also note that it still adds postage to each item, if you have ordered stuff at the same time you can contact Hornby when your billed and they usually sort the postage out. given the rumoured price rises it makes sense to pre-order your stuff now

I couldn't get the 10% discount to apply to a pre-order either 🤷🏽  Thought I would take advantage and order a J50, but to no avail. 

5 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I couldn't get the 10% discount to apply to a pre-order either 🤷🏽  Thought I would take advantage and order a J50, but to no avail. 

Are you a member of the free TT:120 club and logged in? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, moawkwrd said:

Are you a member of the free TT:120 club and logged in? 

3 hours ago, Nile said:

I am and was, and had the same problem.

Same as Nile. Yes and yes. It made no difference. 

I don't actual model ex-GNR parts (the North East and East Anglia are my thing), but I thought I might take advantage of the offer to order a J50. That idea went out of the window! 😞 

On 20/07/2024 at 14:57, Peachy said:

I’m pretty sure that West Hill Wagon Works have noted a gap in the TT120 turntable market, if they do get around to designing one, it’s likely to fit the various kits (motor operated or hand cranked) available currently for Peco’s N/HOm version (which is just that little bit too short for a Pacific + tender wheelbase) 

It would be great if West Hill Wagon Works create a TT:120 turntable, especially if it works with the Peco motor. I see their Depot Hard-standing and Workshop Inspection Pit need the addition of Code 55 rail. If they take the same approach with a turntable then they will exclude a number of modellers from the potential market. I've still got a razor saw rusting away and unused for a few decades though I'm not sure how many of the 'new to model railways' cohort, which Hornby are targeting with their marketing, would have.

In one of the RMweb forums I asked if anyone had experience of connecting the old TT3 track to the new Hornby or new Peco track. At that time I think I found three old Tri-ang turntables for sale on the web, with one boxed 'as new' with a price of £270 IIRC, which was more than I was prepared to pay. Within a week or so all three had been sold.  I don't know if there was any connection with the quick sales any my post on RMweb.

I haven't been able to find accurate dimensions for the combined loco and tender wheelbase of Hornby's planned Castle (and more distant Black Five), though I think they might fit on the Peco HOm's 155mm (TT:120 scale 62ft) bridge. When Hornby get round to producing their Castle and the 9F the demand for a turntable might increase. Its absence might dissuade modellers from building layouts with a terminus station, which would be a case of the tail wagging the dog.

I keep looking longingly at the five different turntables available to N gauge modellers and am wondering if TT:120 meets my preferences and will do so in the near future. Demands on my time mean I'm not going to be building my main baseboards yet, though I would like to make a start on a couple of modular sub-baseboards to house a couple of termini. Looking at Hornby's list of planned wagons I don't see a 16T mineral wagon. I realise that the scale is new (for British outline) though I think the absence of this wagon is a serous omission from the range of expected wagons. As much as I think TT:120 is an ideal scale I have put my TT:120 purchases on hold for now.

5 hours ago, Nile said:

The green 08.

Apparently that’s now been fixed so worth trying again.

IMG_1150.jpeg.f4c66b8feec1d2bc12b9592806ab8394.jpeg

However you are only gaining the reward points on it as you’ve been able to preorder at that price from retailers for months. Arguably they’re only worthwhile if you then redeem them against another 20% off or similar offer in the future.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I don't actual model ex-GNR parts (the North East and East Anglia are my thing), but I thought I might take advantage of the offer to order a J50. That idea went out of the window! 😞 

Which J50?

I’ve just tried and the preorder discount works on both the ones available on Hornbys website. You can preorder the BR early one at retailers for the same price though, as explained above.

• Thanks 1