Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

Slightly off-topic but I don't know where else to post.

Has anyone heard anything about Arnold releasing the Continental versions of the Class 66s? I'd have thought they'd be at the same time as the Hornby UK version but I guess Arnold may be using the UK version as a basis and will possibly announce something next year? I don't know how much communication there is between the brands but if ever there was a need to talk, now would be the time with the 66s being so widespread on the Continent. 

If anyone has heard anything through the grapevine, I'd love to know! 

Cheers,

Michael

31 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

Don’t think they’re in the 2024 Arnold catalogue but I’m not sure if the international brands are also moving to smaller announcements more frequently too.

I think you're right. Nothing in the Arnold 2024 catalogue (which is quite extensive). Fingers crossed for a late announcement but I'm not massively hopeful.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Are these to the UK loading gauge?

Generally yes. The Class 77 variant has roof mounted air-con units which would be out of gauge in Britain.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike Harvey said:

Generally yes. The Class 77 variant has roof mounted air-con units which would be out of gauge in Britain.

The Class 77 hasn't been mentioned by Arnold/Hornby yet.  I think they're trying to get the 66 up to Arnold standards first.

I have a couple of Arnold steamers in TT and the quality of these is fabulous- up there with Roco and Piko, and a mile ahead of Tilllig and the Hornby Gresleys.    In N-gauge I have a couple of class 181 Bo-Bos running on Bregenbach im Schwarzwald.  I put the quality of these up with Fleischmann, and the sound well ahead of Minitrix.  I also find Arnold locos in general (TT and N) don't fall apart as fast as some of their competitors' locos do.......

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi, 

Was at Malc's Models Ilkeston shop this afternoon during day 4 of their 20th anniversary celebrations. 

Amongst the various manufactures displays there, of interest to TT120, Hornby had a small stand, with both OO and TT120 products. What caught my eye were decorated samples of the TT120 class 66's, looked very tasty to my eyes, there was Colas, and GBRf Evening Star and BR Blue LL examples on display. 

I enquired out of interest of the Hornby rep when were the 66's expected to become available, November 24' was the answer. (I provide this in good faith, no doubt others monitoring Hornby website know this, I don't).

Also of interest was a small eastern european micro layout (my apologies, can't remember the name, bit of a tongue twister !), but it was very nice and in TT 120. Amongst the european loco's and stock (very nice they were too) was a Hornby LL blue 50, ticking over on DCC sound as a layout "special guest". The layout owner kindly gave it a run out for me, it sounded fab.

The Malc's Models newly announced TT120 colour light signals were on display, they looked to be really high fidelity to me, very fine construction.

They stock TT120 Peco, Hornby and Westhill Wagon Works ranges so definitely some proper model shop scale support.

Please note, I don't have any connection with the shop, just popped over to have a look. But it was an enjoyable visit and I came away with some WHWW 3d print stuff for my 3mm scale layout. In terms of 120, I am saving my pennies up for a 66 so November suits me fine.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I have a couple of Arnold steamers in TT and the quality of these is fabulous- up there with Roco and Piko, and a mile ahead of Tilllig and the Hornby Gresleys. 

My only experience with TT steam is Tillig and Beckmann, and the two are light years apart... how would you compare the Arnold with the Beckmann?

This mix of stock seems a good idea  ; The steam locos have an almost universal appeal, the blue stuff like the 50 appeals to people like me , in their, er,50s that remember it - and you’ve got to have 66s to get the younger generation interested .

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Les1952 said:

The Class 77 hasn't been mentioned by Arnold/Hornby yet.  I think they're trying to get the 66 up to Arnold standards first.

I have a couple of Arnold steamers in TT and the quality of these is fabulous- up there with Roco and Piko, and a mile ahead of Tilllig and the Hornby Gresleys.    In N-gauge I have a couple of class 181 Bo-Bos running on Bregenbach im Schwarzwald.  I put the quality of these up with Fleischmann, and the sound well ahead of Minitrix.  I also find Arnold locos in general (TT and N) don't fall apart as fast as some of their competitors' locos do.......

Les

I'll be interested to see how the Arnold machines are priced. Their N can be very pricy. I've been slobbering over pictures of their recent SNCF CC6500 - €200+ for plain version and €300+ for sound. I guess if they model the variants with the cab aircon units, they may be able to 'justify' a higher price (not to mention the fitting of traction tyres...).

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Michanglais said:

I'll be interested to see how the Arnold machines are priced. Their N can be very pricy. I've been slobbering over pictures of their recent SNCF CC6500 - €200+ for plain version and €300+ for sound. I guess if they model the variants with the cab aircon units, they may be able to 'justify' a higher price (not to mention the fitting of traction tyres...).

The traction tyres will be there because you have little or no chance of selling to the Continent without them..  My Glass Train railcar has a traction tyre even though it has no couplings on either end and is unable to pull anything as a result- just like the prototype.

Continental prices are still, despite Bachmann's best efforts in recent years, significantly higher than those in the UK, though quality is also generally higher.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual

10 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

My only experience with TT steam is Tillig and Beckmann, and the two are light years apart... how would you compare the Arnold with the Beckmann?

I have no Beckmann yet (a product of needing to pre-order and pay a huge amount in Customs duties) - but I place Roco and Piko light years ahead of Tillig.

Les

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Michanglais said:

I'll be interested to see how the Arnold machines are priced.

Yes this will be very interesting. Seems likely that Arnold will price the 66 much closer to the Hornby price, which will make it one of the best value super detailed locos out there in European TT?  The difference between the UK and continental versions seems to be merely minor cosmetic changes and traction tyres.

Here’s hoping a successful Euro version of the class 66 will kick off some Class 20’s as they also ran on the continent. :)

14 hours ago, J-Lewis said:

Yes this will be very interesting. Seems likely that Arnold will price the 66 much closer to the Hornby price, which will make it one of the best value super detailed locos out there in European TT?  The difference between the UK and continental versions seems to be merely minor cosmetic changes and traction tyres.

Here’s hoping a successful Euro version of the class 66 will kick off some Class 20’s as they also ran on the continent. :)

Shown in a mag recently, there is also a Class 47 operating on the Ukranian border.....

Les

6 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Shown in a mag recently, there is also a Class 47 operating on the Ukranian border.....

Yes class 47 is also on my want list but it’s been confirmed as a Hornby release some time after the Class 37. I’m looking for some new announcements and a Class 20 would make a good candidate for MTB or another European manufacturer.

• RMweb Gold

not a Hornby product but did anyone notice the scenecraft tt buildings announced by Malcs Models, some good stuff. certainly a good year for tt and we are only half way through

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

did anyone notice the scenecraft tt buildings announced by Malcs Models…

Yes those looked great. Just the ticket for a loco depot plank layout.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Replacement arrived . Dapol chip installed . Seriously impressed . Good lighting , smooth in operation . Only downside is Hornby's habit of putting screws under bogie frames.

I have some west hill tracksettas so I can set about planning now - being careful not to get overly ambitious as I have more space proportionally .

I was originally sceptical about the chances of this gauges success ( and god knows Hornby have driven up some cul de sacs ) but as long as they continue to support it and it gains momentum I think it’s in with a chance of some longevity .

IMG_2165.jpeg

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 13

On 05/07/2024 at 15:42, jonnyuk said:

not a Hornby product but did anyone notice the scenecraft tt buildings announced by Malcs Models, some good stuff. certainly a good year for tt and we are only half way through

After speaking to the manufacturers at Malc’s event, I’d say the future for TT120 is definitely bright. 
(& yes, those Bachmann/Scenecraft buildings that have been commissioned by Malc’s are superb. The interior detail is just spot on) 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

It definitely feels like growing momentum in the TT scale with more products from manufacturers coming alone each month. I was shown these samples from Shedring Hobbies at Perth show the cones are fantastic. But I'm pretty certain the guys at Hornby will be pleased with this week's announcements from other manufacturers,vindicating their faith in the scale.

20240630_101715.JPG

Edited by shunny
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Replacement arrived . Dapol chip installed . Seriously impressed . Good lighting , smooth in operation . Only downside is Hornby's habit of putting screws under bogie frames.

I have some west hill tracksettas so I can set about planning now - being careful not to get overly ambitious as I have more space proportionally .

I was originally sceptical about the chances of this gauges success ( and god knows Hornby have driven up some cul de sacs ) but as long as they continue to support it and it gains momentum I think it’s in with a chance of some longevity .

IMG_2165.jpeg

When I dismantled mine to put the chip in (I also used an Imperium), on reassembly  I found the first screw didn't want to align so carefully picked the loco up and shook it hard (over a thick foam pad in case of failure) to see it the securing clips held the body on.  They live up to their name- securing clips.  The screws went back into the box in a small plastic bag....

Les

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I wonder if anyone knows whether Hornby intend to release their magnetic couplers as separate parts? I'd be interested to see if they worked with the Mk3s (I could experiment but it took me a while to get the couplers the right way round on my Mk2s). Slightly put off at the idea of removing and replacing all the couplers on my Mk2s.

On 15/07/2024 at 08:46, Michanglais said:

I wonder if anyone knows whether Hornby intend to release their magnetic couplers as separate parts?

Yes in a recent TT talk video the Hornby team confirmed the magnetic couplers will be available separately at some point in the future.

• Thanks 1

I see that the Duchess ships with an adaptor to fit a coupling to the pony truck. Has anyone with the Duchess and any of the other pacifics investigated if it is possible to fit the coupler housing to other locomotives?