Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

10 hours ago, scots region said:

How hard would it be to backdate one of the 50s to early 70s WCML condition?

You'll need to get rid of the central headlamp and reinstate the headcodes.

ISTR they also didn't have the jumper cables when first built, although I think they all had the places to attach them, but I can't remember when they actually got them. About 1973 ISTR.

If you look here there's a couple photos of one in original condition.

https://www.norgrove.me.uk/class50.htm

A bit more work than just a repaint!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, markw said:

Also one body side grill needs to be changed to a window, sandbox fillers added to cabside and a big change to one of the roof panels.

http://www.railscans.co.uk/picture/_s16_15m.jpg

It is surprising the things you forget when you change interests. I detailed loads of the Lima ones back in the day!

I would certainly hold fire before embarking on any major surgery as if they've made the model like they did with the 00 version the early condition version might appear.

Jason

• Like 1

I knew the headlight would need to be changed, hadn't thought of the headcode boxes. The air filter recess would be fairly major surgery, in fact I think there's a good chance you end up sacrificing one of the mounting screws. 

14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

which next 18 Chips do you use please ?

Hornby's HM7000 TXS for me - 7 so far (4 pre-fitted and 3 fitted by me) and no problems to date apart from having to unlink and reload one when it wasn't responding correctly.

• Thanks 1

Well, I decided to dip my toe in the water . I’ve got a couple of coaches, some track, and a class 50 coming .

i think the detail is good and it has a chunky ness that N gauge doesn’t . Maybe I can have an actual train set in the box room now rather than endless planks and TMDs.

i put the coaches together , what’s the ahem , secret of uncoupling ? 

6DEFF229-1C6A-419D-833F-EBC4A6AC77A3.jpeg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Well, I decided to dip my toe in the water . I’ve got a couple of coaches, some track, and a class 50 coming .

i think the detail is good and it has a chunky ness that N gauge doesn’t . Maybe I can have an actual train set in the box room now rather than endless planks and TMDs.

For uncoupling you can use a piece of plastcard, I have seen mention of using an old modified credit card used too.  If regular shunting/uncoupling is required then some people have used the N gauge Dapol 'easy shunts' (Same NEM pocket) I think??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, irishmail said:

I have seen mention of using an old modified credit card used too.

Possibly that was me!

Although I used an old CAMRA card (other real ale societies are available 😁 ) - closeups are cruel, perhaps I should have used a scalpel instead of scissors...

2024-06-28153702CAMRAsnip.png.101334816ff7d6cd1995060fc158d1ac.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Yes, thats  the one.  Used  to be a Camra member myself  at one time.  😁

Edited by irishmail
  • Like 2

So your chosen bit of plastic under couplings and hoof up ?

I’ve never seen couplings like it - tension locks and kadees for all the oo stuff 

You won't have done if you've only modelled in 00/H0, it's a TT only coupling and, thank goodness, is the standard for all TT now.

It uncouples the same way as the tension lock in that you stick the card under the coupling when they are pushed together and it raises the hooks.

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2024 at 09:46, rob D2 said:

Those of you running DCC,

which next 18 Chips do you use please ?

My OO layout NO PLACE is exclusively sound when it goes out, but I'm not running sound in TT.  I do run DCC exclusively, with Powercabs.  For Next18 I use whichever my nearest supplier (often but not always Digitrains) has in stock at the best price.  

There is little in practice to choose between them.   

A problem with Continental locos is getting hold of the appropriate Plux16 or Plux22 chips that they take.

For SOUND, I wouldn't touch TTS (or TXS) with a bargepole on a steam loco- my locos run slowly most of the time and getting the chuff synchronised to wheel rotation matters to me.  It is too noticeable if they only chuff about a fifth as often as they should.....

Les

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/06/2024 at 20:07, rob D2 said:

They seem quite effective .

im looking forward to laying out the track on some carpet to plan my first go 

Carpet...????!!! 😱😱😱🤯🤯🤯🤯 pleeeeease tell me that was sarcasm..!?!? 🤦‍♂️

Those coaches do look tempting!! Pity they don't couple really close, like Continental TT coaches do, though.

• Funny 1

On 28/06/2024 at 13:02, rob D2 said:

Great to see.

The secret to uncoupling is switch to magnetic ones. With a set you can fine tune the close coupling to account for your curves etc. I had no end of frustration with the original ones. My freight wagons and 08 have Dapol Easi-Shunts and a couple of strategic magnets in the 4-foot.

Nice to see you join the party.

Best

Dan

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 28/06/2024 at 23:10, Les1952 said:

For SOUND, I wouldn't touch TTS (or TXS) with a bargepole on a steam loco- my locos run slowly most of the time and getting the chuff synchronised to wheel rotation matters to me.  It is too noticeable if they only chuff about a fifth as often as they should.....

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't know how the chuffs should sound in relation to the wheel rotation - never mind the chuff sounds vs. the number of cylinders on the loco. For me the sound is just an 'ambience' effect and therefore the HM7000 chips are fine.

I believe that you can fiddle with the CVs to get a better match on the chuff rates (I'm sure I saw the details somewhere but I can't remember where) but surely it will never be perfect with any chip unless there is a way of monitoring the wheel rotation and matching the sounds to that?

To me with steam locos it is the the lack of steam and smoke that should be more noticeable than anything else, although it is strange that I don't seem to think about that when the trains are running!

Edited by Porfuera

2 hours ago, Porfuera said:

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't know how the chuffs should sound in relation to the wheel rotation - never mind the chuff sounds vs. the number of cylinders on the loco. For me the sound is just an 'ambience' effect and therefore the HM7000 chips are fine.

I believe that you can fiddle with the CVs to get a better match on the chuff rates (I'm sure I saw the details somewhere but I can't remember where) but surely it will never be perfect with any chip unless there is a way of monitoring the wheel rotation and matching the sounds to that?

To me with steam locos it is the the lack of steam and smoke that should be more noticeable than anything else, although it is strange that I don't seem to think about that when the trains are running!

The CVs to synchronise the chuff rate are around CV265 (give or take).  TTS and TXS architecture doesn't allow CVs in that range. 

2 cylindered loco or 4 cylindered loco 4 beats per wheel revolution.  (J50, Duchess)

3 cylindered loco  6 beats per revolution.  (All LNER Pacifics)

Lord Nelson class 8 beats per revolution. 

A long way different to TTS or TXS.

Les

Just back in from a day cleaning and testing the OO fleet ready for NO PLACE to run at Bishop Middleham next Saturday- a County Durham layout in County Durham.  J94s moving slowly and with the correct sound, wonderful.

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 1

On 29/06/2024 at 23:35, F-UnitMad said:

Carpet...????!!! 😱😱😱🤯🤯🤯🤯 pleeeeease tell me that was sarcasm..!?!? 🤦‍♂️

Those coaches do look tempting!! Pity they don't couple really close, like Continental TT coaches do, though.

I wonder why Hornby stock doesn't couple fully close like Continental stuff. That being said, with the Mk 2s, they do provide magnetic couplers that allow full close coupling. I'm running on radius 4 track and have no problems with them rubbing. Not sure if that would be the same on tighter radius curves - maybe others could share their experience?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Michanglais said:

I wonder why Hornby stock doesn't couple fully close like Continental stuff. That being said, with the Mk 2s, they do provide magnetic couplers that allow full close coupling. I'm running on radius 4 track and have no problems with them rubbing. Not sure if that would be the same on tighter radius curves - maybe others could share their experience?

In OO Hornby try to make sure their stock will handle radius 2 curves, this may be matched in TT:120 as well

Edited by 5Dublo2

Posted (edited)

The NEM geometry calculations  for close couplers should not produce a conflict between vehicles even on smaller radii. The rigidity of the couplers is a variable though.

Edited by Mike Harvey
Added word

Posted (edited)
On 30/06/2024 at 15:37, Les1952 said:

The CVs to synchronise the chuff rate are around CV265 (give or take).  TTS and TXS architecture doesn't allow CVs in that range.

Someone on the bluetooth decoders thread posted that they had found a way to do it - I can't confirm it myself as I haven't tried it (and I'm not sure I'd notice if I did) but it looks like at least one other person also tried it and was happy with it.

This is the link in case anyone want to check it out or give it a try.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1

Sadly the class 50 has been returned. Dodgy screw means I can’t get the body off for decoder .

Is there any alternate to tracksettas ? £9 for a piece of curved metal seems somewhat OTT