Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

On 01/01/2024 at 13:40, Steamport Southport said:

You need to sign up to the club first. It's free.

Then sign in on this page and everything is accessible.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/hornbytt120-club

Jason

Thanks for the link Jason, yes I am a member. But I had to buy the new membership for free, what a palaver. I expect at some stage in the future there will be a cost to the mag.

Edited by dunnyrail
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dunnyrail said:

Thanks for the link Jason, yes I am a member. But I had to buy the new membership for free, what a palaver. I expect at some stage in the future there will be a cost to the mag.

There was a cost of £30 to begin with after the initial free period. They then made the club entirely free and got rid of the printed magazine and sign up freebies, and the discount. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 06/01/2024 at 10:35, Mike Harvey said:

Arnold’s 2024 combined N and TT catalog shows several new TT items including container and cereal wagons.

TT from page 110 onwards:- https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/6517/0436/6501/Catalogo_2024_Arnold_N-TT_WEB.pdf

Reading through the TT:120 threads it is obvious that the Arnold container wagons have generated a lot of interest from UK outline modellers. (Of no interest to me; they're the wrong era.) I wonder if Arnold will be inspired to produce one of the early UK loading gauge Interfrigo wagons? It would appeal to continental modellers as well as the UK market.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MartinRS said:

Reading through the TT:120 threads it is obvious that the Arnold container wagons have generated a lot of interest from UK outline modellers. (Of no interest to me; they're the wrong era.) I wonder if Arnold will be inspired to produce one of the early UK loading gauge Interfrigo wagons? It would appeal to continental modellers as well as the UK market.

They're a great candidate too! Modell Bahn Union has launched a variety of great ferry wagons in HO over the years that would make great models for Hornby/Arnold to pursue. That sweet spot of appealing to both British and Continental modelers is a fantastic opportunity. I'm hoping Hornby acts on this ASAP. Paul Bartlett's legendary photographic archive provide a whole host of possible candidates from the BR era:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrywagons  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinRS said:

I can't remember the name of the manufacturer off hand, but a small-series producer did a batch of those Interfrigo refrigerators in the late 90s or early 2000s... best of luck finding one now, though. A new version would be welcome though, for sure.

On 07/01/2024 at 14:48, Chris116 said:

Looking back to the introduction of TT3 back in 1957 it is interesting to see how the range was introduced and expanded.

1957 - 3F and Castle

1958 - no new locos

1959 - 08, 31 and Merchant Navy

1960 - Britannia

1961 - Prairie

1962 - no new locos

1963 - 104 DMU

The TT120 introduction looks to be progressing at a similar pace but under the spotlight of the internet.

That's true and I think there were quite long delays in some of them actually getting into the dealers' hands (though the first private TT-3 layout did appear in RM in September 1957.

I think one difference between 1957 and now, is that most modellers were far more willing to simply bung a different body on the 0-6-0 chassis and ignore the wheel spacing etc. EAMES had a 94xx pannier tank out by May  that used the Tri-ang Chassis though it was £10 (£9/17/6) compared with 29/6 for the Tri-ang 3F  and 56/11  for the Tri-ang TT-3 Castle when it was offered in the first quarter of 1958. By that August however W&H, who had detailing parts in 3mm scale soon after the scale's launch, were offering, among other handbuilt TT-3 locos, a Nickel Silver and Brass TT-3 J50 using their own much finer chassis with a Romford "Terrier" motor for £11/8/6 unpainted ( a very good looking model looking a whole lot better than the EAMES Pannier with its Tri-ang chassis). 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

EAMES had a 94xx pannier tank out by May  that used the Tri-ang Chassis though it was £10 (£9/17/6) compared with 29/6 for the Tri-ang 3F  and 56/11  for the Tri-ang TT-3 Castle

That makes you a penny short, Wilkins.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

And Hattons are closing......were they stockists?

I don't think they were.  They stocked the Peco TT:120 range (now sold out), but not the Hornby range.

The Pullmans and tank wagons are shown as being out of stock at the Hornby site though they appear to be available on the Rails web page. I wonder if this is a mistake at one of the sites or if Hornby have released products to their stockists as a sweetener?

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

looking a whole lot better than the EAMES Pannier with its Tri-ang chassis).

The 00 Jinty chassis andv derivatives has appeared under a multitude of incorrect bodies over the years, RTR & kits

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MartinRS said:

The Pullmans and tank wagons are shown as being out of stock at the Hornby site though they appear to be available on the Rails web page. I wonder if this is a mistake at one of the sites or if Hornby have released products to their stockists as a sweetener?

It's probably just that Hornby sold out of their stock quicker than Rails have.  There have been plenty of instances mentioned in this thread where the Hornby website shows something in stock, and it's sold out two days later, or even the same day.  Same thing happens with the 00 range, a model is sold out at Hornby, but a retailer somewhere in the country will have one sat on a shelf.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Moxy said:

It's probably just that Hornby sold out of their stock quicker than Rails have.  There have been plenty of instances mentioned in this thread where the Hornby website shows something in stock, and it's sold out two days later, or even the same day.  Same thing happens with the 00 range, a model is sold out at Hornby, but a retailer somewhere in the country will have one sat on a shelf.

I'm not so sure about that. The tank wagons, especially the Mobil one, have been out of stock for ages now. Rails have only just started stocking Hornby products very recently. I was told by staff working at Rails before Christmas that rails would be stocking Hornby products again. Even then the Mobil tank had been out of stock for some time. There is probably a mention of when the tank wagon was unavailable from Hornby somewhere in this thread.

23 hours ago, melmerby said:

The 00 Jinty chassis andv derivatives has appeared under a multitude of incorrect bodies over the years, RTR & kits

Indeed. That was the point I was trying to make (though it was less the bodies than the chassis under them that was incorrect ). I don't think many modellers would accept that now given the advances in RTR but, at that time, it meant that a wider range of locos were available to anyone adopting the then new scale without having to wait for Tri-ang to release them. I've still got the 3F, along with a couple of Tri-ang wagons and they're pretty crude but  I can remember building a Ks white-metal pannier tank body for my 3F chassis (I didn't make a very good job of it as I recall but others did)  There were also a fair number of aftermarket manufacturers such as Bilteezi (for whom it was fairly simple to rescale their printed card building kits)

In the end, I'm not sure if it was really the smaller size of N gauge that killed TT-3 as generally assumed or simply that better quality models from Arnold than Tri-ang's TT-3 simply made the new scale that much more appealing

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, MartinRS said:

I'm not so sure about that. The tank wagons, especially the Mobil one, have been out of stock for ages now. 

If I recall correctly, the Mobil tank wagons were sold out before the TT range was released to shops?  So it’s not surprising that stores wouldn’t have any.  How many were you looking to pick up?

On 09/01/2024 at 23:15, MartinRS said:

If you try adding any of these to your cart/basket it gives you a warning that these items are on order.

If you use the filters then the only Hornby TT:120 that Rails currently have in stock are three second-hand maroon Mk1 coaches.

Edited by Porfuera
Clarified second-hand
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Interesting... my first impression was "nothing new there" but then I noticed that they're all sound-fitted. I wonder why Hornby didn't offer those before?

Then I saw the Class 08 you mentioned hiding at the bottom of the list - Class 08 D3986 BR.

The sound-fitted diesels aren't on the Hornby site yet so I wonder if Gaugemaster has jumped the gun and released this by accident...?

I hope the April announcement contains more than this!

EDIT: Hornby does a 00 Class 08 D3986 and that one is green.

Edited by Porfuera

11 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

I wonder if Gaugemaster has jumped the gun and released this by accident...?

It is probably bad form to answer one's own question but the answer is probably not - Kernow has it listed as well:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/87813/TT3028-Hornby-TT:120-BR-Class-08-0-6-0-D3986---Era-5

And theirs is listed with a Next18 socket! Surely not...  🤔

Screenshot2024-01-11153709.png.2403ea40fe951af7faa352ea72582475.png

Edited by Porfuera

15 minutes ago, HSB said:

I hope the 18-pin socket is correct instead of the 6-pin they're offering at the moment!

Me too but I'm guessing it is some sort of cut-and-paste or a data entry error from the bigger locos - the guy on ThisWayWorks on YouTube had to do some surgery to the inside of the body to fit in a Next18 chip and I think he may have had to remove the 6-pin socket as well.

Still... fingers crossed! Maybe the next generation of smaller TXS chip will fit better.

EDIT: correction - it was an 8-pin TXS chip but he still had to take a Dremel to the inside of the body to get it to fit

Edited by Porfuera