Accurascale Selects The Nuclear Option; Modern FNA-D Nuclear Flask Wagons In OO/4mm

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, McC said:

We'll certainly look at the options.

IMG_3402.jpeg

IMG_3403.jpeg

We'll also need a RC lorry and police car (with full suite of independently controlled, accurate flashing lights), and a DCC gantry crane to complete the loading operation. 🤣

• Accurascale staff

Hi everyone,

Now GETS is over and we're back at our desks we can address some queries. Firstly, we were already in tooling when Revolution announced theirs. Unfortunate but just the way it goes.

We had been inundated with requests for these for a long time as we do like a nuclear wagon and some DRS traction so it was a logical choice and on our roadmap for a long time. The chassis is diecast so is nice and meaty with plenty of weight and as @McC stated there is certainly plenty of experience here of rotating axle caps. Indeed, we were the first OO manufacturer to have them with our Tara Mines wagons for IRM.

Decking threadplate will be added later in the tooling process and we agree; the green is awful!

Roll on decoration samples!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 09/10/2022 at 20:11, McC said:

Our A Class Irish locomotive came with rotating axle boxes, as have our Tara mines wagons, and Keg, Fertiliser and container flat ranges in our Irish ranges without a single return or issue (some 60k+ vehicles). We've never had any issue with the technique or achieving reliable running and fidelity. HTH!

Sounds like you guys need to look into a 66 😂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Great news, really enjoy the nuclear wagons, your releases in this area have been fantastic and with the DRS 37s due soon, which I have three ordered (sorry I missed the sound version) like the lads posts above a crane,security personnel a few other bits and pieces, I can see a plan coming together for a corner of the layout. Great work once again lads.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

At least two. I never quite understand why they send two 88 electrics on diesel power to Hartlepool where most of the journey has no overhead. (yes I know it is the older wagon behind 88004/7)

Mike Wiltshire

1680767206_88004Hartlepool.jpg.45da52d1c9212c0fa85150ccfdc1e087.jpg

I think because 1500hp (assuming both engines are running) will be adequate for pulling 2 locos and a single wagon. It could actually be more fuel efficient to send 2 88s than 2 68s as even with only one engine on the 68s engine is much bigger (and potentially overkill) in that situation. Although I think for it to be more efficient it would only have to be 1 88 engine running as a guess.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/10/2022 at 22:08, Coach bogie said:

At least two. I never quite understand why they send two 88 electrics on diesel power to Hartlepool where most of the journey has no overhead. (yes I know it is the older wagon behind 88004/7)

Mike Wiltshire

1680767206_88004Hartlepool.jpg.45da52d1c9212c0fa85150ccfdc1e087.jpg

Doesn't the safety case for loaded trains require two locos?

It may be two on an empty outbound from Sellafield, but will require two on the way back.

Yes - there are odd pics of single locos on wagons - taking them for tyre turning for example, but I would guess that double locos are the preferred mode for "non-nuke" jobs as DRS wouldn't want a flask wagon sitting around anywhere outwith it's control, if a loco failed.

In the case above, it may just be that 88s were available at the time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Accurascale staff

Hi everyone,

Yes indeed, A has sold out with us, B isn't too far behind. C, D and E all healthy for now. It is a fascinating trend we always see with multiple packs of the same livery such as these FNA-Ds. A sells out first, and then the last pack number (in this case, pack E) is always last to go. Is that just a human conditioning we have with "pack A" or "pack 1"? 

Love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers!

Fran 

9 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Is that just a human conditioning we have with "pack A" or "pack 1"? 

Oddly enough, I do exactly the opposite as I expect most people go with A/1. That means that if I want some later then I will have a better chance of finding A/1, and if I want to sell them I'll have what more people might be looking for.

Haven't tested the theory yet though!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Yes indeed, A has sold out with us, B isn't too far behind. C, D and E all healthy for now. It is a fascinating trend we always see with multiple packs of the same livery such as these FNA-Ds. A sells out first, and then the last pack number (in this case, pack E) is always last to go. Is that just a human conditioning we have with "pack A" or "pack 1"? 

Love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers!

Fran 

Funny you should bring that up Fran,  I thought about it before ordering.  For what it's worth I only wanted one pack, decided A would probably sell out first and ordered pack C although all were still available at the time.  It's rather like calling your company AAA so that it's the first one in Yellow Pages.

Do you produce more of pack A than the others, and if not should you - so that you don't miss out on potential orders from those who decide late in the day they want a complete set?

On a different matter I don't like trains with tail lamps where they don't belong - far too many layouts at shows have locos hauling a train  with the loco exhibiting its rear red lamp.   Is the tail lamp on these pairs removable without surgery and replaceable if one changes one's mind?  If removable complete with its battery, can it be fixed to the rear of another train?  I do appreciate the technical difficulties of doing so.

50 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Can an 88 be worked in mutiple with a 68?

Yes, although as far as I am aware, with one caveat. The 68 can't fully control the dual mode aspect of the 88. Unsure if that's just limited to swapping modes, or whether the 88 can only run on diesel when being controlled from a 68. An 88 can fully control a 68 though I believe so I think they tend to run the 88 on the front when together.

• Informative/Useful 2