Stripping Hornby Dublo Loco Paint

• RMweb Premium

Fifty years ago, when I last stripped a Hornby Dublo loco, I reached for the good old, reliable, Nitromors; but this, I gather, is now pretty ineffective.

I need to strip a HD breakdown crane and I would welcome suggestions.

I have a heated ultrasonic cleaning tank, and I wonder whether a very hot, strong solution of caustic soda crystals would be effective / advisable. The crane body is solely mazak - is this likely to be adversely affected by such treatment?

Alternatively, can anyone advise a product or treatment that will effectively remove HD's very tenacious paint?

Many thanks in anticipation,

John Isherwood.

Hi John

In the past I have used caustic soda to strip paint of mazak.  not hot but room temp. Crystals mixed in a jam jar with water.  Crystals in to the water not water to the crystals; it is a very exothermic reaction.

These days for paint striping on models I use Mr Muscle oven cleaner.

Since its a metal body how about cellulose thinners/brush cleaner

Norman

Edited by Shed Driver

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Shed Driver said:

Hi John

In the past I have used caustic soda to strip paint of mazak.  not hot but room temp. Crystals mixed in a jam jar with water.  Crystals in to the water not water to the crystals; it is a very exothermic reaction.

These days for paint striping on models I use Mr Muscle oven cleaner.

Since its a metal body how about cellulose thinners/brush cleaner

Norman

Thank you for your input; I too resort to Mr. Muscle for plastic bodies, but HD paint has a deserved reputation for durability.

I have cellulose thinners in stock, so I will try that first.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, ozzyo said:

Do you have a grit blaster?

That will get rid of the HD paint and leave a nice finish on the metal.

HTH

OzzyO.

Unfortunately not - the HD components are currently soaking in cellulose thinners; (my wife very kindly lent me a suitable glass vase)!

First indications are that, especially around areas of chipped paint, the chemical bath is doing the necessary.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DCB said:

It's all very well stripping the H/D paint but you're not gong to find anything like as durable to replace it.

Trouble is - H-D crane paint is red, I need black!

Plus, anyone who has stripped a H-D 8F tender will have been amazed at the detail that is revealed; H-D paint was THICK!

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As an experiment I recently tried repainting a Hornby-Dublo super detail coach.  Other than to rub down a rust patch I left the original paint finish as it was, sprayed the whole thing with primer, and then with enamel paint.  I wasn't happy with the finish so dunked the whole lot in an ultrasonic bath, tap water and 10% allendale electronics concentrated ultrasonic soloution,  set the temperature at 50 degrees and the time at 50 minutes, and left it to get on with it.  When I came back the enamel and primer had been stripped and most of the Hornby Dublo paint had gone as well.  Another few minutes finished the job and I've been leftwith a completely bare-metal body shell.

DT

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Detol did the job for me on an N2 this year. One thing I've found on several locos that surprised me (and that unfortunately also came off while stripping) is a red compound had been used to fill out a few rough areas of the castings. No primer though.