Drewry 04 diesel shunter

Downer

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

MLI195 suggested above is a useful reference, as between them the 04s have three different exhausts, two different buffer shapes, two different radiator sizes [and DS1173 has another], two shapes of cab front windows, one or two cab side windows, two positions for the rear cab windows and two different footplates. 

That'll be three different buffer shapes . . .

D2221.JPG.07f70e54c1c428ec2c9af78cba5141dc.JPG

David

• Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 18:37, cctransuk said:

Transfer producers are subject to copyright law in the same way as everyone else.

CJI.

Yes, but individual letters aren't subject to copyright. So long as there's a sheet of letter decals available in an appropriate public domain (or properly licensed) font and there are enough Fs and Qs on the sheet, then you can arrange them as you wish.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Yes, but individual letters aren't subject to copyright. So long as there's a sheet of letter decals available in an appropriate public domain (or properly licensed) font and there are enough Fs and Qs on the sheet, then you can arrange them as you wish.

I don't do generic transfer sheets - only completely compiled ones.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidLong said:

That'll be three different buffer shapes . . .

D2221.JPG.07f70e54c1c428ec2c9af78cba5141dc.JPG

David

Talking about DS1173, I seem to remeber reading somewhere that this loco, as a private venture from the manufacturer (Drewry), was tried on the W&U in 1948 when it was based at Cambridge (?), although no photos exist.

From G. Bannister LNER Forum:-  DS1173 was originally known by its Drewry build number of 2217, and also carried the Vulcan Foundry number of D46. It was initially based at Gorton shed in or shortly after June 1947 as a demonstrator. The official loan started at 39A Gorton from February 1948, and included Ipswich (May 1948), Lowestoft (June 1948), Norwich (June 1948), Cambridge (July 1948), and Stratford (end July 1948). During this time it was painted in LNER green with black and white lining.

Edited by GeoffBird
updated & corrected information
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Talking about DS1173, I seem to remeber reading somewhere that this loco, as a private venture from the manufacturer (Drewry), was tried on the W&U in 1948 when it was based at Cambridge (?), although no photos exist.

From G. Bannister LNER Forum:-  DS1173 was originally known by its Drewry build number of 2217, and also carried the Vulcan Foundry number of D46. It was initially based at Gorton shed in or shortly after June 1947 as a demonstrator. The official loan started at 39A Gorton from February 1948, and included Ipswich (May 1948), Lowestoft (June 1948), Norwich (June 1948), Cambridge (July 1948), and Stratford (end July 1948). During this time it was painted in LNER green with black and white lining.

I don't see the link between D2221 and DS1173!

David

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Halvarras said:

As I recall Phil these were D2200/03/19/35/38/40, and spanned 1964-6 - until I read about them in Traction a few years back I thought the only Drewrys the WR ever got were the four it 'inherited' from Plymouth Friary when that depot came under WR control (11225/7/8/9 I think). I've modelled D2240 with the Bachmann model because I had a photo reference, albeit on the ER after it had 'gone home' - I was tempted by D2238 with its Swindon Class 03-style large-number paint job but the photo of it I found with D2136 at Worcester in May 1966 suggested a recent overhaul which placed it a year outside of my chosen modelling period. 

Ah yes I fancy that one too! My bad.,. Sorry - They did arrive in 64 according to BRdatabase. There were funny things going on with 204 hp shunters on the WR in the 60s … Swindon had a batch of Hunslets too.

9 hours ago, Covkid said:

There was only ever one class 04 allocated to Bescot and that was for only a relatively brief time.  It came with a handful of 03s which all moved on, however the solitary 04 was not so lucky and ws withdrawn in 1968.

If "Rapidoandy" chooses D2220 as one of the run of Rapido models I will have have one !!! 

I would probably have to have that one too… was the first one I ever saw, parked outside the shed at Bescot Spring 68 with rods off waiting for a tow on its final journey…. Which I think was to Cashmores at Great Bridge, not to Cohen’s at Kettering as per BRdatabase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Ah yes I fancy that one too! My bad.,. Sorry - They did arrive in 64 according to BRdatabase. There were funny things going on with 204 hp shunters on the WR in the 60s … Swindon had a batch of Hunslets too.

I should add that on D2240 I did try to 'backdate' the Bachmann underframe by plugging the shunter's step recesses at the front end with plasticard, to give it a full-length footplate, and removing the central air tanks below the footplate in favour of fatter ones fashioned from plastic tube attached to the chassis behind the front steps, although the thick step mouldings hide them to some extent. I didn't bother going further than this. (I've also done D2293 in blue with BR logos above the numbers, a notable SR livery trait on blue shunters. That one didn't require any mods.)

Looked up the Swindon Hunslets, they were D2566/69/70, 4/9/65 - 4/6/66. They were on loan to start with, but why the Works which churned out a large quantity of Class 03s needed the temporary services of three 'foreign' Class 05s is puzzling......anyway, OT!

7 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

DS1173 was originally known by its Drewry build number of 2217

Interesting coincidence - the last Class 04 to remain in service was D2217, withdrawn May 1972 (and the only one to survive in traffic past 1971). It was still at Stratford when I took this photo - last ditch effort, my sole Class 04 pic! - on 3rd March 1973. Note the unusual yellow coupling rods - a little surprised they were still on. It was scrapped by CF Booth Rotherham 7 months later.

1443155156_730303_D2217Stratfordnpz.jpg.58cfbad6b070c7fbd0ced2ea8fda6235.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Halvarras said:

I should add that on D2240 I did try to 'backdate' the Bachmann underframe by plugging the shunter's step recesses at the front end with plasticard, to give it a full-length footplate, and removing the central air tanks below the footplate in favour of fatter ones fashioned from plastic tube attached to the chassis behind the front steps, although the thick step mouldings hide them to some extent. I didn't bother going further than this. (I've also done D2293 in blue with BR logos above the numbers, a notable SR livery trait on blue shunters. That one didn't require any mods.)

Looked up the Swindon Hunslets, they were D2566/69/70, 4/9/65 - 4/6/66. They were on loan to start with, but why the Works which churned out a large quantity of Class 03s needed the temporary services of three 'foreign' Class 05s is puzzling......anyway, OT!

Interesting coincidence - the last Class 04 to remain in service was D2217, withdrawn May 1972 (and the only one to survive in traffic past 1971). It was still at Stratford when I took this photo - last ditch effort, my sole Class 04 pic! - on 3rd March 1973. Note the unusual yellow coupling rods - a little surprised they were still on. It was scrapped by CF Booth Rotherham 7 months later.

1443155156_730303_D2217Stratfordnpz.jpg.58cfbad6b070c7fbd0ced2ea8fda6235.jpg

Copped that one at Stratford too! 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2022 at 16:39, DavidLong said:

I don't see the link between D2221 and DS1173!

David

The link is that as the Drewry prototype DS 1173, it is reported as having run on the W&U in LNER green (lined in white )in 1948 - another loco livery variant-

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/08/2022 at 13:21, GeoffBird said:

From G. Bannister LNER Forum:-  DS1173 was originally known by its Drewry build number of 2217

Are you claiming that DS1173 was actually D2221 ?

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Nile said:

Are you claiming that DS1173 was actually D2221 ?

DS 1173 had originally been the prototype and sales demonstrator for the class, and had the Drewry works number 2217, which number it evidently carried while on loan to the LNER and being trialled on the W&U.

Nothing at all to do with the BR (re)numbered loco D2221 (or D2217 for that matter), it was eventually transferred to capital stock as D2341 in March 1968, but was withdrawn by the end of that year.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Wasn’t at least one of the Derwent Valley 04 painted in what amounted to LNER green at some stage - I only went there once, c1979 I think, and vaguely remember it matching the J72 they had.

The DVR alone could provide oodles of livery variants!

• 5 months later...

Been a while since any discussion happened on these, obviously there isn’t a lot to talk about as there hasn’t been anything in the Newsletter since announcement.

Will however ask; how many, if any, of the 04’s went into Industrial service?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BVMR21 said:

Been a while since any discussion happened on these, obviously there isn’t a lot to talk about as there hasn’t been anything in the Newsletter since announcement.

Bit of a crossover as many of the similar design went straight to Industrial use without being owned by BR. I believe a lack of low-level fuelling points is one clue - if only on the tank top then industrial from new.

Some ex-BR ones did of course end up in industry, Ford Dagenham for example had at least one - one source mentions six.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

If it counts as industrial, Derwent Valley Railway Lord Wenlock, ex D2298 now at Buckinghamshire Railway Centre.