GER W&U Train Packs

rapidoandy

• Rapido staff

We have already produced a Wisbech & Upwell locomotive – the ‘J70’ 0-6-0T for Model Rail magazine – and now we produce Wisbech & Upwell coaches.

When Model Rail commissioned the ‘J70’, it opted for LNER and BR liveries. In the days of the Great Eastern Railway, these tram locomotives (they were classified ‘C53’then) and coaches wore matching liveries, creating a rather quaint little rural train.

Before 1919, the locomotive were painted coach brown with ultramarine blue frames and they hauled coach brown tramcars. After 1919, the locomotive livery changed to crimson and grey with the tramcars also being crimson.

Our friends at Model Rail have generously given us permission to produce a limited run of GER-liveried ‘C53s’ to complement our GER-liveried W&U coaches… and they will be available in two special train packs.

Blue-Teak-Tram-Pack-Square.jpg.ff4272e6cf48d4b51a7972dd47247cf4.jpg

Crimson-Tram-Pack-Square.jpg.9993a48fe5b52fb4bc70c5a7d3d874b5.jpg

Now, strictly speaking, the ‘C53s’ were goods engines but it’s highly likely that they would have been pressed into passenger service on the W&U when required.

Each train pack will feature an appropriately numbered and liveried ‘C53’ tram alongside coaches No.7 and 8 in appropriate livery and physical condition for the time period.

Our batch of ‘C53s’ feature all the same high-quality details as Model Rail’s ‘J70s’ but have an upgraded circuit board and Next18 decoder socket. There are also sound-fitted packs too, featuring an exclusive sound project supplied by Digitrains.

RRP is £269.95 for DC versions and £369.95 for DCC Sound versions.

Speak to your Official Retailer or order direct from us at www.rapidotrains.co.uk/wisbech-and-upwell-train-packs/ to reserve yours today!

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Those look the real deal and I am sure will be very popular but I already have two BR J70's so can I ask if you are planning any BR liveried coaches or will the coaches be available separately in any or all of the liveries?

• Rapido staff
3 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Those look the real deal and I am sure will be very popular but I already have two BR J70's so can I ask if you are planning any BR liveried coaches or will the coaches be available separately in any or all of the liveries?

Take a look in the other new threads that have just cropped up ;-)

• Like 1

• rapidoandy changed the title to GER W&U Train Packs
  • RMweb Premium

I have two J70's in BR livery (68219 and 68223) so I have ordered both BR teak coaches from Hattons. I already had some Hattons Genesis teak four wheelers so will play mix and match.

i think in reality the passenger service on the W&U ended long before BR days - late 20s I believe. To run GER and LNER passenger trains though looks perfectly legitimate, and yes, I've ordered the GER packs in addition to my LNER and BR J70s.

Of note is that Rapido have also announced a project to produce a class 04. These took over from steam on the tramway until it's closure in the mid 60s - one would hope (please !) that Rapido are going to produce tramway versions with side skirts and cowcatchers (maybe even a figure of Charlie Rand for the cab !)

Edited by WisTramwayMan
alignment error

5 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

Of note is that Rapido have also announced a project to produce a class 04. These took over from steam on the tramway until it's closure in the mid 60s - one would hope (please !) that Rapido are going to produce tramway versions with side skirts and cowcatchers (maybe even a figure of Charlie Rand for the cab !)

It was announced as a W&U announcement in the newsletter with side skirts specifically mentioned so I am guessing you should be happy.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 13:24, scottystitch said:

The red and Grey set looks very interesting and unusual. I’m seriously tempted. 

Best

Scott. 

This is a welcome announcement and I have duly placed an order for the ‘coach brown and ultramarine’ version with my local stockist.

Although as Rapido Andy points out, they were mainly for goods work, the RCTS volume states that two engines were sufficient to manage this work once the passenger service was withdrawn in 1927. So the surmise that they were used for passenger work seems to be supported by this evidence.

I note the livery artwork may be subject to change and offer the following from vols. 48 of ‘Yeadon’ and 8A of the ‘Green Books’.

The practice of displaying the ‘GER’ company initials on the side skirts was discontinued during the 1914-18 war and by the time of grouping had been replaced by the engine number in large figures even though the number plate remained on the body side. The Yeadon registers only go back to 1923 for workshop and shed allocation information so we don’t know which engines had the livery changed and when. However, as number 125 was one of the last three to be built in March 1921 it is probably safe to assume it had this maroon and grey from new. What is less certain is whether it saw service on the W&U as Yeadon has it based at Ipswich from the beginning of LNER records (assumed to be 1923) until 1934. RCTS says that of the twelve engines in the class, three were based in Yarmouth, six in Ipswich and three at Wisbech at the end of 1921. Potential candidates for W&U engines are number 136, originally allocated to Ipswich but listed in Yeadon as ‘Wisbech’ in 1923, number 139 which was one of a batch delivered in 1908, two to Yarmouth and one to Wisbech (137 and 138 were still at Yarmouth in 1923 while 139 had moved to Ipswich). Number 131 is recorded in Yeadon as being based at Cambridge and likely to be the third.

My intention here is not to ‘spoil’, but perhaps to prompt further research that might assist Rapido in selecting an ‘appropriately numbered loco’. There is plenty of ‘rule one’ about this project and I am happy to have ordered on that basis.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 minutes ago, Tramshed said:

This is a welcome announcement and I have duly placed an order for the ‘coach brown and ultramarine’ version with my local stockist.

Although as Rapido Andy points out, they were mainly for goods work, the RCTS volume states that two engines were sufficient to manage this work once the passenger service was withdrawn in 1927. So the surmise that they were used for passenger work seems to be supported by this evidence.

I note the livery artwork may be subject to change and offer the following from vols. 48 of ‘Yeadon’ and 8A of the ‘Green Books’.

The practice of displaying the ‘GER’ company initials on the side skirts was discontinued during the 1914-18 war and by the time of grouping had been replaced by the engine number in large figures even though the number plate remained on the body side. The Yeadon registers only go back to 1923 for workshop and shed allocation information so we don’t know which engines had the livery changed and when. However, as number 125 was one of the last three to be built in March 1921 it is probably safe to assume it had this maroon and grey from new. What is less certain is whether it saw service on the W&U as Yeadon has it based at Ipswich from the beginning of LNER records (assumed to be 1923) until 1934. RCTS says that of the twelve engines in the class, three were based in Yarmouth, six in Ipswich and three at Wisbech at the end of 1921. Potential candidates for W&U engines are number 136, originally allocated to Ipswich but listed in Yeadon as ‘Wisbech’ in 1923, number 139 which was one of a batch delivered in 1908, two to Yarmouth and one to Wisbech (137 and 138 were still at Yarmouth in 1923 while 139 had moved to Ipswich). Number 131 is recorded in Yeadon as being based at Cambridge and likely to be the third.

My intention here is not to ‘spoil’, but perhaps to prompt further research that might assist Rapido in selecting an ‘appropriately numbered loco’. There is plenty of ‘rule one’ about this project and I am happy to have ordered on that basis.

Not sure where they got the discontinuation of GER lettering (circa 1914-1918) from but the 'Train Control' numbering came in from 1921 onwards.

A few things that do need to change are the buffer shanks need to be blue on the pre-1919 examples and the loco number plates need vermilion backgrounds.

There is a photo of GER No.125 on the GERS site showing it in crimson and grey without the side skirts: https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/information-leaflets/ger-loco-grey

I had, incidentally, repainted two Rapido J70s as GER No.139 in blue and GER No.126 in Crimson and Grey and was really looking forward to being able to purchase seperate tram coaches to go with these (one in brown and one in crimson). As it stands I have had to settle with a brown set, which is frustrating given the extra expenditure of another loco, but I understand why it has been done from a business perspective (It's my own fault for modelling my own locos I guess!). It just means I will not see No.126 haul a matching liveried coach now.

33 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

Not sure where they got the discontinuation of GER lettering (circa 1914-1918) from but the 'Train Control' numbering came in from 1921 onwards.

A few things that do need to change are the buffer shanks need to be blue on the pre-1919 examples and the loco number plates need vermilion backgrounds.

There is a photo of GER No.125 on the GERS site showing it in crimson and grey without the side skirts: https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/information-leaflets/ger-loco-grey

I had, incidentally, repainted two Rapido J70s as GER No.139 in blue and GER No.126 in Crimson and Grey and was really looking forward to being able to purchase seperate tram coaches to go with these (one in brown and one in crimson). As it stands I have had to settle with a brown set, which is frustrating given the extra expenditure of another loco, but I understand why it has been done from a business perspective (It's my own fault for modelling my own locos I guess!). It just means I will not see No.126 haul a matching liveried coach now.

Thanks for this James. So it appears that number 125 managed to be outshopped new shortly before the 1921 adoption of train control. Still doubtful whether it went to Wisbech though. Interestingly the photo immediately below shows number 125 in a Wisbech setting but this was the Y6 that was renumbered to 0125, presumably when added to a duplicate list after the C53 went to traffic. The same article suggests that the carriages didn't go to crimson until 1921. Another issue with the buffer shanks on 127 besides their colour is that they were stepped. I'm sure Rapido have this covered as it was one of the variants on the original MR series.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2022 at 18:42, jamesC37LG said:

The model of coach 7 as preserved will be in crimson and will be very similar to the GER-spec ones. Different bodyshell (later one with bar fitted), black solebars and different roof but same body colour and lettering. Just thinking if you wanted one coach to go with 126 it could be a close match?

12 hours ago, Corbs said:

The model of coach 7 as preserved will be in crimson and will be very similar to the GER-spec ones. Different bodyshell (later one with bar fitted), black solebars and different roof but same body colour and lettering. Just thinking if you wanted one coach to go with 126 it could be a close match?

Its an option but unfortunately me being the stickler that I am, I don't think I'd be able to get past knowing it was different (I.e the interior etc). 

Something to consider though, thanks.

On 29/08/2022 at 19:25, Tramshed said:

Thanks for this James. So it appears that number 125 managed to be outshopped new shortly before the 1921 adoption of train control. Still doubtful whether it went to Wisbech though. Interestingly the photo immediately below shows number 125 in a Wisbech setting but this was the Y6 that was renumbered to 0125, presumably when added to a duplicate list after the C53 went to traffic. The same article suggests that the carriages didn't go to crimson until 1921. Another issue with the buffer shanks on 127 besides their colour is that they were stepped. I'm sure Rapido have this covered as it was one of the variants on the original MR series.

No.126 too:

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/j-holden/c53

Which is how I have modelled it:

20220212_160934.jpg.390003050c7292c6f2c4d4610817adfd.jpg

(The number plates are a work in progress).

As for coaching stock, I am not certain of their 1921 date for coaches, as the crimson livery came hand in hand with the introduction of steel bodysides in 1919 (which was due to a shortage of wood post WW1).

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

Its an option but unfortunately me being the stickler that I am, I don't think I'd be able to get past knowing it was different (I.e the interior etc). 

Something to consider though, thanks.

On the other hand I am sure there will be people who want the loco without the carriages so I reckon it would be easy to flog the loco second hand if you bought the train pack.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2022 at 18:01, Tramshed said:

On 29/08/2022 at 18:42, jamesC37LG said:

Regarding the crimson and grey, the grey was introduced for locos in 1915 and the crimson coach livery in 1919. The final pair of C53s were built in 1921, hence grey and crimson. These were C53s 125, 126 and 129, which were out-shopped in March 1921 with G E R initials. Photographs of both exist to confirm this in the case of both 125 and 126. Train control numbers were only introduced circa July 1921. IIRC there is photographic evidence of a single C53 with train control number (which is not to say others were not repainted with them), which I think is 128 (a 1914 loco).

Regarding the blue and teak era, all previous C53s were out-shopped before the aforesaid livery changes, so were blue and teak, ending in the 1914 batch, which included the subject of the Rapido model. I understand the artwork is provisional and subject to change. Rapido are, I am sure, already aware that the elliptical number plate should have a vermilion, not black, background, and that the faces and ends of the buffer beams were blue, bordered black with vermilion lining. The buffer casings were also blue, with a black band at the ends and vermillion separating them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

37 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Regarding the crimson and grey, the grey was introduced for locos in 1915 and the crimson coach livery in 1919. The final pair of C53s were built in 1921, hence grey and crimson. These were C53s 125, 126 and 129, which were out-shopped in March 1921 with G E R initials. Photographs of both exist to confirm this in the case of both 125 and 126. Train control numbers were only introduced circa July 1921. IIRC there is photographic evidence of a single C53 with train control number (which is not to say others were not repainted with them), which I think is 128 (a 1914 loco).

Regarding the blue and teak era, all previous C53s were out-shopped before the aforesaid livery changes, so were blue and teak, ending in the 1914 batch, which included the subject of the Rapido model. I understand the artwork is provisional and subject to change. Rapido are, I am sure, already aware that the elliptical number plate should have a vermilion, not black, background, and that the faces and ends of the buffer beams were blue, bordered black with vermilion lining. The buffer casings were also blue, with a black band at the ends and vermillion separating them.

It would be very helpful if you could list your references. Thank you.