Thornbury Castle Sold to 4709 Group.

didcot

• RMweb Gold
On 01/06/2024 at 23:12, Bucoops said:

|Not an unusual situation - Sir Nigel Gresley's most recent rebuild revealed quite a few different loco numbers above the ones they were already aware of.

Didnt 60007 enter preservation with Mallards 1938 tender (since scrapped)?

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not, I will admit, my most productive day, but I found myself on BR database yesterday looking up Castle class boilers. Was quite interested to see one loco got a previous boiler refitted about 20 years later. Little things!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I know that the record breaking tender did survive for a while but was used for spares then scrapped and the one it currently has was renumbered to pretend it's that one. What exactly happened, I'm not sure,

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Not, I will admit, my most productive day, but I found myself on BR database yesterday looking up Castle class boilers. Was quite interested to see one loco got a previous boiler refitted about 20 years later. Little things!

Yes, I think the major works tended to have a "float" of parts, at least for the larger classes, so that a loco could come in, have its boiler taken off, a spare one put on and (after probably attending to a few other matters) out it went, whilst the old boiler went off for refurbishment. Every day a loco is sat in the Works is a day it isn't earning any money.

Edited by RJS1977

On 06/04/2023 at 13:34, rogerzilla said:

Stating the obvious, the economics of steam changed when BR closed its last steam shop.  They used to be cheap to build and maintain using the heavy equipment and spares stocks available, so you could drive a loco into Swindon for a heavy overhaul and drive it out 2 weeks later, good as new.

Now it takes years, everything is bought in small quantities, the skills are rare (I think there are fewer than 10 copper welders in the country) and it costs half a million pounds each go.

I've often felt it would be preferable (not just for steam but for diesels too), for certain owning groups to either merge or transfer locos to try to get locos of the same class (and therefore needing the same parts) under one umbrella. (Although I know that many groups with similar locos co-operate well with each other). 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2023 at 10:25, rogerzilla said:

The GWS does a lot of good stuff but is hampered by its location, which means running locos is always a bit of a minor interest.  People would probably like them to become an owner/hire company for proper lengths of preserved line, but I don't think they're interested in using their stock for that and the fees would be unlikely to cover 10-year overhauls.

Even more of a shame when there's a 2 1/2 mile heritage railway with a historic GWR train shed next stop down the line!

I remember a couple of years ago when we had LNER teaks down at Wallingford for Polar Express, that it was a shame to have to bring the teaks all the way from Yorkshire when there was a shed full of GWR coaches almost within line of sight! (It used to be possible to see the cooling towers at Didcot from the C&WR).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

Even more of a shame when there's a 2 1/2 mile heritage railway with a historic GWR train shed next stop down the line!

I remember a couple of years ago when we had LNER teaks down at Wallingford for Polar Express, that it was a shame to have to bring the teaks all the way from Yorkshire when there was a shed full of GWR coaches almost within line of sight! (It used to be possible to see the cooling towers at Didcot from the C&WR).

Need to get that mainline connection, then you could run a shuttle with the steam railmotor 🙂

On 03/07/2024 at 22:19, adb968008 said:

Mallard entred service with tender no 5642 which it retained untl March 1939, a streamlined non-corridor. It ran with various corridor tenders until withdrawal.When restored it was given a streamlined non-corridor tender 5670 which was renumbered 5642 for preservation.

SNG ran with a corridor tender its whole life, the first up to August 1943 No 5329, and then No 5324 until withdrawn.

No tender Mallard had ran with SNG.

Simon

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, slilley said:

Mallard entred service with tender no 5642 which it retained untl March 1939, a streamlined non-corridor. It ran with various corridor tenders until withdrawal.When restored it was given a streamlined non-corridor tender 5670 which was renumbered 5642 for preservation.

SNG ran with a corridor tender its whole life, the first up to August 1943 No 5329, and then No 5324 until withdrawn.

No tender Mallard had ran with SNG.

Simon

Agreed it was worse than that..

from SNGs own website

Again this tender did not go for scrap but along with Nº60026 went to Crewe Works to provide spare parts for the overhaul of Class A4 Nº4498 (Nº60007) SIR NIGEL GRESLEY. On completion of the overhaul the remains of the Tender were purchased by the A4 Locomotive Society, and taken to the Hunslet Engine Co. in Leeds, with a view to converting the tender into a Water Tank. However the scheme was not financially viable and the tender languished in Hunslet Goods Yard in Leeds and was eventually cut up in 1975.

https://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/chime-archive/mob-tenders4.shtml

Rather surprising such a historical asset was discarded for spares and scrapped by a preservation group

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2