The GWR chimney

spikey

If you look down a GWR chimney from the top, is the bore iron all the way down, or is the top of it copper?  I've always wondered whether the copper part is a solid copper "extension" so to speak, or whether it's a "sleeve" fitted over the top part of the iron casting ...

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, spikey said:

If you look down a GWR chimney from the top, is the bore iron all the way down, or is the top of it copper?  I've always wondered whether the copper part is a solid copper "extension" so to speak, or whether it's a "sleeve" fitted over the top part of the iron casting ...

My understanding is that the 'copper cap' was, in fact, thin copper sheet formed around the cast iron inner - but I may be totally wrong.

If it was solid copper, it would have been an expensive embellishment.

CJI

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Definitely copper sheet sleeves. Some years ago I saw one on the ground at Didcot partially dismantled.

When I enjoyed the excellent guided walk around Didcot GWS in 2018 I took this photo.

IMG_1132.JPG.c44d779b9f6b6d4ff394001cf0d82995.JPG

Didcot GWS 29/7/2018.

cheers

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, rab said:

... AFAIK in is copper sheet, spun into the correct shape.

In which case it must be spun in two parts, so the obvious question has to be how are they joined?  Does the top part just overlap the bottom and be a good fit, or what?

1 hour ago, spikey said:

In which case it must be spun in two parts, so the obvious question has to be how are they joined?  Does the top part just overlap the bottom and be a good fit, or what?

Traditional practice would probably have been to spelter braze them together unless the two parts would need to come apart. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I had a copper cap spun for the steam roller I once owned. It was about 1/8 " thick. 

I should add it was a two piece spinning split at the outer edge. The bottom portion was rolled over the top holding it in place. No braze used. They use a wooden former, so it has to be done in two halves to get the former out.

I did see the Railmotor cap up close a few years ago whilst it was being repaired and it looked a similar construction. 

Edited by didcot
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

How long has metal spinning been used? Early on wouldn't it be a coppersmithing job to hammer it to shape on a former? Could you spin an oval cap for a double chimney anyway? Just asking as I've seen some interesting old craft making films for things like tinsmithing, basic tools and expertise.

19 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

How long has metal spinning been used? Early on wouldn't it be a coppersmithing job to hammer it to shape on a former? Could you spin an oval cap for a double chimney anyway? Just asking as I've seen some interesting old craft making films for things like tinsmithing, basic tools and expertise.

The basic idea dates back to antiquity and does not require much in the way of complex equipment (although it does need a good deal of skill). This video gives the idea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

Thank you 2251 - I never knew it went back so far, presumably the ancients used a pole lathe of some sort, like the furniture bodgers?

Looks like the man in the film had spun his own hat.

Presumably reciprocating power in some form -- a pole, bow, cord pulled back-and-forth, etc.

I think it is right to say that there is no  real evidence that wheels were applied to bring continuous motion to lathes until the Middle Ages. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I once watched  Aluminium kettles being made on a spinning lathe. (Swan Brand , Birmingham)

This sort of style:

s-l1600.jpg

The former was made of wood in several segments as the spun kettle body overlapped the former when finished and the former needed to be removed.

• Informative/Useful 3

On Sunday while walking around Didcot on the excellent tour arranged by Drew (Castle) we went past the chimneys again, this time in sunshine. They are all chimneys off Castle class.

IMG_2665.JPG.d3453392e8a56dfcf42cf22bd1e01f89.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG.040588b3ad1bb968c4307aac5982b4bf.JPG

Didcot GWS 14/8/2022

cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The third hole is for the blower.

I don't think so as the blower ring would be inside the smokebox.  Would the 3rd hole not be for the vacuum brake ejector exhaust?

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5