LNER Coronation Stock

Bishdurham

3 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

They look fantastic! Especially the fabric upholstery in the observation car! Not only do we now know that the beautiful LNER Coronation coaches are due at the end of the month! We also know for those unfortunately unable to attend and seeing these photos for first time that the Flirt 3s/4s are due in January 2025! Instead of the estimate Winter 2024 2025! 

I didn't realise that about the Flirts, they had one on the Hornby stand. I just assumed that they were imminent. I saw the Coronation coaches in Pete Waterman's fiddle yard, they were having issues with the A4 at the time, so I didn't see them running.

4 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

If the Coronations is a success, maybe a Silver Jubilee set !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

manna

4 hours ago, Tiddles47 said:

Or even a West Riding?! :p 

Depending on how the Coroantion set sells, I don’t see it being a failure, I think we’ll see a West Riding set before a Silver Jubilee set. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Depending on how the Coroantion set sells, I don’t see it being a failure, I think we’ll see a West Riding set before a Silver Jubilee set. 

Interesting speculation, and it is unlikely that I will be tempted into building my Mailcoach Silver Jubilee set just in case!  But I wonder, apart from Grantham, how many of us have layouts which can accommodate multiple streamliners as well as adequately representing regular passenger and goods traffic?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Coronation was an easier pick for a manufacturer as it's just pairs on equal length underframes, plus the observation (although that end no doubt gave the designer a few headaches!). The Silver Jubilee was made up of twins and triplets - including extending one twin to a triplet to make it 8 coaches from the original 7 - with differing underframe lengths.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Bucoops said:

The Coronation was an easier pick for a manufacturer as it's just pairs on equal length underframes, plus the observation (although that end no doubt gave the designer a few headaches!). The Silver Jubilee was made up of twins and triplets - including extending one twin to a triplet to make it 8 coaches from the original 7 - with differing underframe lengths.

I'm sure it's not lost on Hornby that if and when they repurpose the Coronation tooling for the West Riding Ltd, it's an ideal excuse to issue A4s Golden Fleece and Golden Shuttle. Not that I need any more A4s, but just thinking about it from a cold economics point of view.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Oh yes I forgot I took a few on Making tracks…

it was the only layout to attract as much attention on the fiddle yard as there was on the layout front..

IMG_0206.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

Interesting to see the demo train using the corridor end pieces, rather than the solid 'streamlined fairing' one. Thanks to the close-coupling it still makes for a pleasing consist.

• Like 2

On 15/10/2024 at 07:30, Ollie K said:

I'm sure it's not lost on Hornby that if and when they repurpose the Coronation tooling for the West Riding Ltd, it's an ideal excuse to issue A4s Golden Fleece and Golden Shuttle. Not that I need any more A4s, 

You can always have more A4's... your right though. they have not done either of Golden Fleece or Golden shuttle (or Golden Plover for that matter) in LNER blue. 

I had a thought that as they have now done 3 of the coronation locos with only Dominion of New Zealand and Union of South Africa to complete the set, they would do both in the next couple of years.  However as these can be achieved relatively easily with a rename/ renumber  (Fox transfers and name plates) which is easy modelling for most people.  

My 2 criticisms of  the Dublo Dominion of Canada are the body/ bell seem to ride high compared the standard issue, and the Name plates that should be etched! It is interesting to compare the printed vs the etched plates the latter do look a heap better and as there is a substantial premium for the Dublo this really should be included! 

I noticed that the standard A4 was used at GETS and maybe the issues are weight so the Dublo version might be a better motive power for the full set. I will give this a test once the set I have ordered has turned up.... though I might need to visit SRman's place for the full 9 car set to run. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I did find the latest issue standard Hornby a4 they have made room for the steam generator so is significantly lighter than previous releases. the A1/3 has been sorted with the diecast footplate, but i do wonder if they will end up issuing A4s in standard range with the diecast body almost like they did with the b17/5 to enable suitable traction to haul a prototypical train 

On 15/10/2024 at 02:14, 2750Papyrus said:

Interesting speculation, and it is unlikely that I will be tempted into building my Mailcoach Silver Jubilee set just in case!  But I wonder, apart from Grantham, how many of us have layouts which can accommodate multiple streamliners as well as adequately representing regular passenger and goods traffic?

Me 🤣

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, conemaster said:

I did find the latest issue standard Hornby a4 they have made room for the steam generator so is significantly lighter than previous releases. the A1/3 has been sorted with the diecast footplate, but i do wonder if they will end up issuing A4s in standard range with the diecast body almost like they did with the b17/5 to enable suitable traction to haul a prototypical train 

I have all my 2004/5 release Hornby A4 and A3's up weighted to 600 and 550 g respectively, to supply enough traction to ensure a reliable uphill restart with14 carriages, whole train standing on a modest gradient, with nary a problem arising. The metal bodied A4 is 'just right'; extending this proven technique to all current plastic body LNER tender classes is the way to go.

• Informative/Useful 1