UTA railacrs 6&7

Greetings,

It's a while since I posted anything on this forum, here are a few pics of my most recent and almost finished project.  UTA No6 & 7 AEC railcar.

These two cars were really a pre production MED, though they had AEC engines and different transmission systems from the later cars.  The doors was also

unchanged. However the main thing which separated them from the earlier railcars was that the engines were mounted horizontally ; This  made full use of the

alignment, obviously keeping a flat floor, but also being easier to maintain, and this engine position later became universal.

They proved successful in service though the seating seemed pretty short of legroom!  The two cars were in service until 1966, (for many years with an intermediate) and were destroyed in a fire in 1968.

My models use Allen Doherty etched sides, Br class 105 front cabs (with headboard removed) and chassis from a Dapol/Airfix LMS 60 composite. The originals were converted from two xLMSNCC coaches.

Power on the model is a Tenshodo "spud"; this (and the similar Black beetle). These are now unobtainable but I got one a few years ago - however, it's not great, and doesn't like some of my trackwork, as well as

occasionally jamming and needing a shove. Not very satisfactory, but I was committed to the type when cutting holes in the carriage floor, so for now it remains.

Which is why the roofs have not been glued to the sides - I think I will need access unless the power bogie improves with use...! 

Anyway, here it is; I now have models of UTA (exNNC) No 1 & 4, No 5 " Ganz" and  6&7  + An MED set and a number of MPDs.  This all started in 2001 when I built an MPD ...

Colm Flanagan

6&7  #1.JPG

6&7 #3.JPG

676 #2.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, colmflanagan said:

Greetings,

It's a while since I posted anything on this forum, here are a few pics of my most recent and almost finished project.  UTA No6 & 7 AEC railcar.

These two cars were really a pre production MED, though they had AEC engines and different transmission systems from the later cars.  The doors was also

unchanged. However the main thing which separated them from the earlier railcars was that the engines were mounted horizontally ; This  made full use of the

alignment, obviously keeping a flat floor, but also being easier to maintain, and this engine position later became universal.

They proved successful in service though the seating seemed pretty short of legroom!  The two cars were in service until 1966, (for many years with an intermediate) and were destroyed in a fire in 1968.

My models use Allen Doherty etched sides, Br class 105 front cabs (with headboard removed) and chassis from a Dapol/Airfix LMS 60 composite. The originals were converted from two xLMSNCC coaches.

Power on the model is a Tenshodo "spud"; this (and the similar Black beetle). These are now unobtainable but I got one a few years ago - however, it's not great, and doesn't like some of my trackwork, as well as

occasionally jamming and needing a shove. Not very satisfactory, but I was committed to the type when cutting holes in the carriage floor, so for now it remains.

Which is why the roofs have not been glued to the sides - I think I will need access unless the power bogie improves with use...! 

Anyway, here it is; I now have models of UTA (exNNC) No 1 & 4, No 5 " Ganz" and  6&7  + An MED set and a number of MPDs.  This all started in 2001 when I built an MPD ...

Colm Flanagan

6&7  #1.JPG

6&7 #3.JPG

676 #2.JPG

To the best of my knowledge, Black Beetles are still available directly from the manufacturer in Australia.

CJI.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been able to trace them, my understanding is that the production ceased due to mashima motors folding about 4-5 years ago. Anyway, I have followed UTA practice and pinched one from one of my MPDs, so 6&7 now run well. I had a "spare" BB which is half power as only one axle is driven, so MPD 45 got that, and is not very powerful, can just about haul one trailer on the level.....with a bit of slipping. I'm not planning any more railcars at present.

Colm

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, colmflanagan said:

I haven't been able to trace them, my understanding is that the production ceased due to mashima motors folding about 4-5 years ago.

Try Googling Steam Era Models - it is my understanding that they hold stock of Mashima motors against their own future requirements.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1