Loch Nevis & Ranochan modular West Highland

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

These pics off Flickr show the Armadale ferry terminal which I’m thinking could be adapted on the end of the station instead of the Mallaig building I’ve drawn. 

©️ Ron Gunzburger (click image to go to Flickr)

The CalMac Ferry Loading, Armadale Ferry Terminal

©️ andrewjohnorr (click image to go to Flickr)

Armadale Ferry Terminal

Although I rather like this simpler arrangement too and this is on Loch Nevis at Tarbet. 
©️  Budby  (click image to go to Flickr)

[87631] Tarbert Ferry Terminal

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

I am sure this is going to be interesting, and with Paul's usual speed we will see a layout in no time... 

I need to get the profiles cut and then work can indeed get cracking 😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Loch Nevis is an extension of the West Highland Line from Fort William. The line was extended from Mallaig in 1915 to serve a sheltered anchorage for the Royal Navy. The facilities were expanded in the 1940’s and barracks added for protection plus training of the Royal Marines. The anchorage is maintained in the 1980’s for fuelling and resupply with the base being used for training on an irregular basis by the Royal Marines. 

Local traffic from the villages around Loch Nevis and people employed at the base means the ferry and trains are busiest around the shift changes with people coming and going and others heading to Fort William. 

Tourism is popular in summer with the ferry catering for hill walkers and the activity centres around the Loch. 

Freight traffic is a mix of supplies for the base and arrives on Speedlink services from Fort William serving various industries along the line. 

This means I can justify traffic from the paper mill and some timber wagons included in a train that only drops off a couple of vans or tanks at Loch Nevis. 
Locos will be mostly 37’s with occasional forays by 26’s, 27’s and possibly a Sprinter on test. 

• Like 7

Great stuff Paul, I do like a bit of Large Logo.

I have 2 of Ian Futers wonderful books on both prototype and "what if's" on Scottish Layouts, and that's where the idea for my Glenfinick came from, (think Glenfinnan), and also Glen Roy, a BLT.

Another wonderful Layout from the Exhibition Circuit was of course Porthcullen.

I'm looking forward to seeing this develop mate.👍

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Another wonderful Layout from the Exhibition Circuit was of course Porthcullen.

Spent the day next to Portchullin a few years  ago at Epsom with Rhätia  😀

I’ve got one of the Futers books but this is mostly based on ideas I’ve been mulling over for a few years based on visits. The original visits in the 80’s are a hazy memory and the photos useless as they were on a 110 cartridge camera. 

I found some of the Glennfinan plans the other week so maybe I’ll dig those out and scan them if I can’t find them on a memory stick somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Spent the day next to Portchullin a few years  ago at Epsom with Rhätia  😀

I’ve got one of the Futers books but this is mostly based on ideas I’ve been mulling over for a few years based on visits. The original visits in the 80’s are a hazy memory and the photos useless as they were on a 110 cartridge camera. 

I found some of the Glennfinan plans the other week so maybe I’ll dig those out and scan them if I can’t find them on a memory stick somewhere.

May 1970, and I spent a week at the Scottish Six Days Motor Cycle Trials, based in Fort William and all over Rannoch Moor, Roy Bridge, Spean Bridge etc. But that was a whole 7 years before I got fed up with falling off Motor Bikes and turned to Model Trains.🤓

Safer but more expensive I think.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

2F0B8728-6C2D-4AF4-8FE5-84112A2B86A4.jpeg.e97e23cf6ebe8993f0f0d126a6a71068.jpeg

Planning started with rectangular boards 

92A64879-F8F5-43D1-8255-BED7A0E6E611.jpeg.cdfbb487df1be6775f51891ff08ee07e.jpeg

Then I added a bit of sweep

7FB584BF-F769-4897-983D-4D0E4A71D7DE.jpeg.2df5647497db4aa76e32ea5d0d91a4da.jpeg

Currently the plan is to have a separate board that fits in a Really Useful Box for the station but I’m doodling ideas for the ferry slip as mentioned above. 

4743913C-C618-468D-895E-A83784EB7AF2.jpeg.6357d702bc897a5f62f876eecf8d2168.jpeg

Ranochan started off with Ardlui and I cut out a siding. 
6B22E8F7-3F9D-450C-8CB4-543A36881945.jpeg.8ec5ea11bd10d8348a4bae90d2bf3980.jpeg

Adding a more exaggerated edge gave a bit more room for the platform and sidings. 

E2DF700C-CA45-40C3-BF46-26AC649E4A0D.jpeg.d5c54da58cba6acc978deddd167eaae8.jpeg

I’m not sure about backscenes at present, I may make them separate clip on ones so they can go either side to mix things up a bit. 

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/07/2022 at 19:04, PaulRhB said:

This was my plan for a roundy show layout a few years ago. I dropped it because it was too big to setup at home and use. 

8C9FB734-8A76-4226-98D8-D3B92D34BC67.jpeg.6355241198e8bdcf5b9da3dfeadd8afb.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

This was my plan for a roundy show layout a few years ago. I dropped it because it was too big to setup at home and use. 

8C9FB734-8A76-4226-98D8-D3B92D34BC67.jpeg.6355241198e8bdcf5b9da3dfeadd8afb.jpeg

Be good in O gauge as well ;-)

Nice plan!

Rhys

Edited by Rhysb

• RMweb Premium

Would actually fit into my shed (00 of course...) 

The road bridge parallel to the swing bridge - is it that one? 

Line from Fort William to Mallaig crossing the Caledonian canal

52247248916_113db92169_b.jpgDSC_0206 

And as it is so nice the locking mechanism...

52247246681_3255c67528_b.jpgDSC_0212 

And of course such a bridge needs to turn.... 

You have probably planted a seed into the old Austrian to make a 00 layout.... 

I am on holiday in Scotland this September - I think I need a few more photos... (Made only 560 in 2017 - and unfortunately not only from this line...

Think I need to convince my wife to go up there once more... We will be close to Oban - makes 45 miles or 1hour and 15 minutes to Fort William....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

road bridge parallel to the swing bridge - is it that one? 

Line from Fort William to Mallaig crossing the Caledonian canal

Yes Banavie the RETB controlling box is right next to it too. I have some photos somewhere of a work visit we did on a project to add RETB to the NR training. Unfortunately those specific questions were dumped in another change a couple of years later but hey ho we tried. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I have just started building a laser cut kit of Lochearnhead station (see my new thread in modles of real locations). Maybe I can do a module.

I have just to build a new fiddle yard for my Austrian layout, but after that I will give it a go... I love the ideas Paul was putting into the plan. 

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I have just started building a laser cut kit of Lochearnhead station (see my new thread in modles of real locations). Maybe I can do a module.

Yes I got a couple of those pop up kits, Ballachilullish Stn & Taynuilt box, to use as a base on my Scottish version of Lulworth but hadn’t started them when @Rhysb spotted some new kits under development at Modelrail Scotland. 
I’ve only got a screenshot from Facebook but it’s architectural_railway_models and he’s doing a station, Signalbox and footbridge I think. Rhys is watching progress for us. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More worryingly I see they are now doing some 7mm buildings in the pop up range

E0CC7A8F-F56B-49AB-AC96-1DB1C4877E73.jpeg.4ae75b60dc42deca0f2c4287d8846319.jpeg

Worrying because I seem to have bought this 😆

I don’t think this will fit on Loch Nevis!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

More worryingly I see they are now doing some 7mm buildings in the pop up range

E0CC7A8F-F56B-49AB-AC96-1DB1C4877E73.jpeg.4ae75b60dc42deca0f2c4287d8846319.jpeg

Worrying because I seem to have bought this 😆

I don’t think this will fit on Loch Nevis!

That's a slippery slope your heading down there Paul.😁😁

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, P.C.M said:

That's a slippery slope your heading down there Paul.😁😁

I agree Peter, Look what happened to me, I just bought a simple Cl 25 because I liked the sound, next thing I know, I have almost £10K's worth of O Gauge Locos!😊.

He'll have give up the cake to fund that lot. 😮

Good job he's single and rich.🤣  👍

• Funny 1