Tactile and high quality DCC controller other than ZTC?

Lacathedrale

Have you already got a ZTC system - I note you say "other than ZTC".  I've had my ZTC511 since 1990 and it is still going strong, though admittedly it has had its motherboard replaced,  But it is robust and gives you the feeling of train controls with the regulator lever and separate brake, probably unique.  You do, however, have to remember loco numbers, function numbers and the various sequences of buttons.  It also has the advantage of also working in DC mode.  You can get a wired hand held controller to provide the second control.  You can set up routes etc with it, and create a loco database, It can do quite a lot if you work on it.  I've had a Viessmann Commander since then and have now just acquired a Z21 which I am learning how to use, and I think that is the easiest system to use that I have come across.  You don't need a computer and expensive software, you can drive locos with a mobile phone or tablet and set up a trackplan on a phone or tablet.   However I still use the ZTC 511 for my test track and I would not want to part with it.

To be clear, you do not have to use a Z21 or z21 using a phone or tablet. You can plug in any XPressnet or Loconet controller throttle - but you do have to purchase them 😉

Edited by WIMorrison

1 hour ago, josekimber said:

......  I've had my ZTC511 since 1990 and it is still going strong...........

have now just acquired a Z21 which I am learning how to use, ......

You do know the ZTC can plug into the Z21,  either by configuring the ZTC as a secondary (slave) device, and into the Xpressnet connection on the Z21, or much quicker and simpler: DCC output of the ZTC goes into the "sniffer" port of the Z21.   

- Nigel

11 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

You do know the ZTC can plug into the Z21,

I didn't, but I am not sure what advantage there would be, as you would still need to select the functions to drive a train, and set up the locos in order to drive them, wouldn't you?  But it's an interesting suggestionI also have a ZTC handheld, but this has the wrong connections for the Z21.

I'm not sure what the "sniffer" port on the Z21 is meant to be for.  This is not explained in the manual.  Also from memory, the ZTC uses DIN type sockets for the outputs, so I am not sure what sort of cable would be required to connect them.

2 hours ago, josekimber said:

I didn't, but I am not sure what advantage there would be, as you would still need to select the functions to drive a train, and set up the locos in order to drive them, wouldn't you?  But it's an interesting suggestionI also have a ZTC handheld, but this has the wrong connections for the Z21.

I'm not sure what the "sniffer" port on the Z21 is meant to be for.  This is not explained in the manual.  Also from memory, the ZTC uses DIN type sockets for the outputs, so I am not sure what sort of cable would be required to connect them.

You said you liked the physical feel of the ZTC system.   So, connect the DCC output of the ZTC - two wires, directly to the sniffer on the Z21. That gives at the same time, the choice of using the metal levers of the ZTC system (including the hand-helds), or the modern touch screen of an iPad.  Or both at the same time.  

The connections to go via Xpressnet (which is the other option for connection) are documented on various internet sites.  A decent search engine will find you the wiring diagrams for different maker's Xpressnet plugs, and thus which wire needs to connect to which other wire in an adaptor cable.   You also have to set the device's Xpressnet bus address, so that all Xpressnet devices have unique addresses; that's a mixture of understanding the Z21's needs, and then finding the matching settings in the ZTC manuals. 

- Nigel