An Edwardian LBSCR Terminus <Signalling> Layout

Good morning all,

I have purchase the track and am awaiting baseboards for my 00 gauge LBSCR Edwardian terminus layout (see the Pre-Grouping forum if you'd like to know more). Conceptually, it is a "Brighton, Lewes and Hastings Railway" station that was built alongside the original L&BR station in Brighton, instead of (as in reality) being incorporated. 

The following is a plan generously drawn up by Regularity - and I wanted to confirm the signalling arrangements before I get stuck in with ordering bits and pieces from Wizard. Here is the unadorned track plan, based originally on Minories but subsequently amended and coincidentally not looking all that different to P8/9/10 at Brighton in the Edwardian era)

image.png.7846fb10e760fc878bee7efef88a38d8.png

Note: The 'turntable road' is as yet just a head-shunt siding, maybe the Victorian 50' turntable has been filled in? 

I would like to get an authentic signalling layout in place, so I have been swotting up on reading "Brighton to Coulsdon North: A Signalling Perspective". From that I can gather both home and starter signals had ringed signals for calling-on and shunt-ahead respectively, and the wide usage of S&F kit. My thoughts are

For up signals:

• P1 - Single post, Starter & Shunt signal
  • P2 & P3 - Balanced Bracket, Starter & Shunt signal for both platforms
  • Advanced Starter & Distant on the Up main, one 'standard train length' way from the throat

For down signals:

• A red shunt signal on the up main for shunting moves back into the station
  • A gantry showing (left to right):
    • Shunt signal to Carriage Siding
    • Shunt signal to Loop
    • Home & Calling-On Signals to P3, P2, P1

For station-signals:

• Ground-frame release and no signals for loop crossover or produce dock
  • Red ground signal for carriage siding exit
  • Yellow ground signal for loop exit
  • Red ground signal for turntable road exit
  • Red ground signal for loco ready spur

I appreciate that the starters and homes could both live in the gantry but I think I'm already going to be finding it quite difficult to manage it as it stands, let alone with double-sided and double the number of arms!  Brighton (admittedly much larger) had one box controlling the platform starters and another for the routing through the approach lines, so I'm taking that approach.

By my count I need:

• A stop signal on one post with a shunt arm
  • A stop/distant signal on one post
  • A bracketed two-arm stop signal with two shunt arms
  • Five ground signals 
  • A gantry with five shunt signals and three stop signals

So, before I go about delving into Wizard models catalogue, is that about right?

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 2

• Lacathedrale changed the title to An Edwardian LBSCR Terminus <Signalling> Layout