Attending my first Exhibition - advice?

• RMweb Premium
On 17/07/2022 at 14:25, 298 said:

I thought I was being smart by building a night-time layout that would have looked fantastic in post-apocolyptic peachy gloom, thankfully such venues are getting rarer but I still need to find a way to reduce the ambient light hitting the layout. 

I also agree that lighting is a necessity and easy enough to do now with LED strip, but I'd make it and the backscene removable to use mother nature's own for photos.

The previous posts make it all sounds like exhibiting is very easy, but that is assuming you get invited to them in the first place. An article written by a seasoned exhibitor that appeared in a magazine a few years ago said once you're at your first one all you need to do is hand out layout information forms (basically everything you think an exhibition manager wants to know on a sheet of A4 and a few weeks after you'll get a letter inviting you to xyz show and asking for the same information again. 

That's the theory anyway, from what I've seen of post-pandemic shows they still rely on existing contacts and word of mouth, in fact I haven't had any bookings from shows or eLayouts for about three years.

I believe most layouts are booked for exhibitions as a result of being seen at exhibitions.  I was involved with the Stafford exhibition for decades and we simply wouldn’t book a layout unless someone had seen it.  Today with so much imagery via a variety of media that is not so necessary.    I can see that if you haven’t been to an event recently  it may be hard to get a booking.  I think most of the post Covid shows are basically the 2020 show deferred with some changes to reflect circumstantial drop outs etc.  Drop out replacements will inevitably be sourced via existing contacts.   I suppose if you are keen to exhibit and need to promote the layout you could make a video for you tube, certainly create a leaflet with pics and get a thread going on RMweb, layout seeks exhibition - no time wasters please.

Andy 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

It's the best part of my job. That moment when you inspire someone to to have a go at some modelling. I'm really glad you've had the chance to experince that feeling.

As someone said to me this weekend. "Large layouts are aspirational. Small layouts are inspirational."

Totally agree, Phil  and what a great quote. Certainly as a builder of small layouts, I'm inspired by other small layouts. 

I find big layouts interesting but I'm yet to see one and have an urge to build one myself........

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2022 at 18:00, JohnR said:

I'll be attending my first exhibition as an exhibitor soon, and am actually rather nervous!

Any tips or advice, especially to help it be less stressful?

Assuming you have attended the exhibition, how did you get on?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Kris said:

This was posted earlier in the week. Sounds like a success.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help, especially to @Balgrayhill for helping out operating the layout with me. It was great fun, and like lots of things in the hobby, I learned some lessons for next time. The guys at Cupar MRC were very friendly and helpful, too.

I got a real buzz when a couple of people got inspiration to have a go themselves @Phil Parker - one guy was actually going to take his christmas tree out of the box! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kris said:

It was good, thanks - I think I took too much stock though (if thats possible!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Situation normal then....

My running sessions at home are often quite short, 20-30 minutes, as its great to run a few trains to wind down, etc. Operating for 6.5 hours a day 2 days in a row revealed what were the most reliable locos and which were not. 

A (perhaps undeserved) hatred for tension lock couplings also developed!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, JohnR said:

My running sessions at home are often quite short, 20-30 minutes, as its great to run a few trains to wind down, etc. Operating for 6.5 hours a day 2 days in a row revealed what were the most reliable locos and which were not. 

A common occurrence. I often have a large roster for my shunting layouts at shows but always seem to fall back on a couple of reliable/popular regulars...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Preparation is the key, test everything multiple times in advance of the show.  Clean all the wheels prior to going.  I work on the principle that I have one loco per train and several spares for to allow for failures, if I have issues with a loco it’s withdrawn from service for repair either at the end of the day or post show depending on timings.

if you are using DCC having a spare decoder to hand can be really helpful should the worst happen and something go wrong with a chip.

a decent toolkit is really helpful (including screwdrivers, soldering iron, files, track cutters etc) so you have everything you need to do a repair should the worst happen.

the final thing is to make sure you have a big enough operating team.  I have taken Wheal Imogen out on my own and it’s painful.  Having one or two extra people who understand the layout so

you can do shifts of a couple of hours at a time means you can get a rest and see the rest of the show.

(oh and one final final point, don’t lay the track for your fiddleyard at the venue the night before the show opens.  It won’t end well…..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, JohnR said:

It's not undeserved at all..!! It was one of the reasons I left UK 4mm outline decades ago, and have never returned. 😉😝

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JohnR said:

Why for ? 

Rob. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Why for ? 

Rob. 

Uncoupling is difficult to make reliable. And they are ugly. It's why I always used Sprat & Winkles on my exhibition layouts. Reliable, discrete and needing little adjustment at the show so I can get to the second hand stall and cake first thing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Uncoupling is difficult to make reliable. And they are ugly. It's why I always used Sprat & Winkles on my exhibition layouts. Reliable, discrete and needing little adjustment at the show so I can get to the second hand stall and cake first thing. 

I have just started experimenting with S&Ws on some 4mm stuff....so far so good...

Chris

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Speaking of them, does anyone else use tension lock couplings on exhibition layouts?

Yep. 

My layouts are made from readily available bits and bobs. Track from PECO, rtp buildings from Bachmann and Hornby as is the stock. The tension lock locks emphasise the rtr origins of the stock. 

I like to think that my layouts illustrate the fact that anyone can pop into a model shop, buy what I buy and build an exhibition layout. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Yep. 

My layouts are made from readily available bits and bobs. Track from PECO, rtp buildings from Bachmann and Hornby as is the stock. The tension lock locks emphasise the rtr origins of the stock.

What do you use to uncouple them? I'm currently using a small modified screwdriver but I am trying to find alternatives

• RMweb Gold

I knocked up a few simple  uncouplers from copper tube, brass rod and strip brass, since christened 'The Horrocksford Shovel" by Tim Maddocks (Captain Kernow.)

A few self explanatory images. 

20220730_200922-01.jpeg.3182cbd518a9c56248094c3dad3eb2d3.jpeg

20220730_200755-01.jpeg.b868c6c29afdaab2d775b66d119de793.jpeg

20220730_200806-01.jpeg.7efd0b8835e9b4cc100e8431cabbf466.jpeg

20220730_200858-01.jpeg.23a0882d415852c63e9c5415c0f45f71.jpeg

20220730_200858-01-01.jpeg.7fd05b297eb6fc35163f0fb7fecf402d.jpeg

Rob. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

(oh and one final final point, don’t lay the track for your fiddleyard at the venue the night before the show opens.  It won’t end well…..

Pft, in October we are doing a loose lay 18ft square layout bare tables Friday night to - hopefully - layout Saturday morning. But that is tinplate...

First time in twenty years 😬

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Balgrayhill said:

Hi John

I came across this video which may offer a solution...

I accept that my solution is literally hands on, therefore more intrusive but can't help but see the probable difference in cost.......

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I accept that my solution is literally hands on, therefore more intrusive but can't help but see the probable difference in cost.......

Rob. 

and a lot easier to recommend to those who visit a model railway show in the hope of getting some advice about starting a project themselves?

I love gizmos and new toys but its also helpful to be able to give advice on simple solutions....

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Why for ? 

Rob. 

The slightly different heights - even after swapping out those in NEM pockets. And remote uncoupling wasnt easy. 

I had installed clear plastic ramps, but then some locos were grounding on them. 

Edited by JohnR

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, JohnR said:

The slightly different heights - even after swapping out those in NEM pockets. And remote uncoupling wasnt easy. 

I had installed clear plastic ramps, but then some locos were grounding on them. 

That is the issue with using clear plastic ramps. 

I can't help but think of Hornby's sprung uncoupling ramps which a loco passing over them would push down.........probably......ish....

Maybe something based on this would work. 

However, until then I'll continue with the Mk 1 Horrocksford Shovel. 

Incidently, if anyone's around Minehead next Saturday, I have one of my layouts, complete with tension locks at Exmoor Rail. You'd be welcome to have a chat and a go. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The other option for tension locks, if you know where you are going to uncouple regularly is to adapt them for magnetic operation ,( this method has a name but I can't for the life of me remember it)

Alternatively there is the system that I have seen on Roger Nicholls' layouts of the stiff clump of grass in the 4ft

Both will require good running as any stutter by the loco at the wrong time will result in an accidental uncouple.

A problem that I also found affects Kadees but this time accidental recoupling 

Andy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SM42 said:

The other option for tension locks, if you know where you are going to uncouple regularly is to adapt them for magnetic operation ,( this method has a name but I can't for the life of me remember it)

Alternatively there is the system that I have seen on Roger Nicholls' layouts of the stiff clump of grass in the 4ft

Both will require good running as any stutter by the loco at the wrong time will result in an accidental uncouple.

A problem that I also found affects Kadees but this time accidental recoupling 

Andy

Brian Kirby method.

Dave.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1