• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Schooner said:

...unless (I'm looking at these on a phone, with a 'well loved' screen, outside) it's not heavy rust but weathered red oxide paint on the metalwork?

A thought. If I have understood Southern Wagons Vol. 3 correctly, this is the type of wagon depicted in Figure 10, built 1895-6 - indeed the drawing shows No. 746. So it would first have been painted in SER red before at some point being repainted SECR grey. 

But my criticism is not based exclusively on this model but also on the models of Great Eastern vehicles recently posted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Lovely work, as ever. But I do hope you will forgive me for expressing a doubt about pre-grouping rust, founded not on the wearing of rose-tinted spectacles but on observation of photographs together with a dose of logic. Weathering - both chemical and physical - of paintwork, use, and the accumulation of grime, chiefly airborne particulates from the burning of coal, yes, but rust - especially on functional parts such as bearing springs - I am highly sceptical. Colour photographs from the 1960s of wagons that had not been adequately maintained since 1939 and had been standing out of use for some years are no guide to the condition of a wagon in service in the early years of the last century. But I am nevertheless open to evidence to the contrary.

Apologies if I am repeating myself.

Thank you I do tend to get a bit carried away with the ole weathering if I am truthfully honest, so its completely user error in this case, and quite rightly pointed out as I doubt many of the pre-grouping wagons ever got to this level of degradation!  And this level of weathering would be more suitable perhaps in the BR era! But I do appreciate your comments as I am aware that I'm always learning, and always welcome feedback so thank you for pointing this out.

I need to practise a few wagons that are less weathered, As I don't want all my stock to look as though it is from an apocalyptic past time line ;)

@Schooner Thank you sir that is very kind, it is a super simple process, I have outlined below if helpful!

Primer, I tend to go for a light coloured grey primer

Then I paint the interior wood section Tamiya Wooden Deck Tan, but to be honest most beiges or buffs will do as its really only a base coat!

I then pick out some individual boards using Vallejo Model Air Concrete 17ml, SKU: VAL131 and Vallejo Model Color 17ml Natural Wood SKU: VAL834, but anything that is close to these colours works, it doesn't have to be exactly these colours. I thin down the Natural wood with thinners as you want more of a wash than a heavy colouring, all we are trying to do with this phase is break up the tones of the planks a bit so they aren't all too visually uniform looking, so picking random planks and sometimes a couple of planks together to help make it feel a little more natural!

Once this has fully dried I then use Warhammers Agrax Earthshade as a wash on top, but i tend to water this down a bit more as its quite a heavy wash, and we want to subtly tone the planks, of course if you prefer the heavy wash then go for it! Or you could use some weathering powders afterwards to give it a far dirtier look!

Hope this is useful, and im sure there are a lot better modellers out there painting the interior of their wagons far more successfully, I would love to hear their processes, or have folks share their techniques it be super interesting and useful :)

Cheers

Rob

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I really ought to explore some of these paint ranges, since I see people like you getting such good results with them. I'm a bit too wedded to Humbrol and Precision.

Edited by Compound2632

59 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I really ought to explore some of these paint ranges, since I see people like you getting such good results with them. I'm a bit too wedded to Humbrol and Precision.

Cheers Stephen that is very kind of you to say.

I would like to weather this West County next, but certainly don’t want to overdo it,, something a lot more subtle, as I’m sure these locos would have been cleaned! I believe they were designed to fit through the carriage cleaners of the time?

IMG_1302.jpeg.42308e045d36ea77b9f8e06ca911dbc6.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg.1d193606dbe72e4e13c8de786b5d41a0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

More CAD modelling action this time i'm finishing up the GNSR Diagram 58 full brake coach, a very unique looking brake coach, especially with the windows in both ends of the vehicle! I can't wait to have a go at painting these up in Pickersgill GN&SR Livery! Hopefully all of these should be available on the scottish wagons website :)

GNSR_DIA_58_03.jpg.9842844801e4942a1ce3153f88deab99.jpg

GNSR_DIA_58_05.jpg.da8dbc93f04cfa186047342afcc44e72.jpg

GNSR_DIA_58_04.jpg.171156777cfd5bc9d4b88976570ac0ac.jpg

GNSR_DIA_58_06.jpg.3503f9eb138854795f26b5d459aa2cbd.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

How is the dog box arranged? There don't seem to be any hinges on the outside, so are dogs put in it from the inside of the van? Given the two sets of vents on each side, are there in fact boxes for several dogs?

Oh this is very interesting point Stephen, I was actually unaware of what these grills were for! So I will consult my GNSR buddies to see what they know on the matter. Sadly there aren’t lots of photos of these old vans, just a handful! And mostly in BR days so not exactly in prime condition. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, woko said:

Oh this is very interesting point Stephen, I was actually unaware of what these grills were for! 

Well, it's my assumption they're ventilation for dog boxes. Might be for something else - fish? Will be interested what the Great North people say.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Lovely piece of work. Just querying if there was one toilet or two, with a central cross partition?

It's a composite, so of course there are two. The corridor being on opposite sides for first and third emphasises this - it's not a single toilet off a single corridor. However, the layout of the lamps and torpedo vents is a bit confusing... Perhaps it was assumed that first class passengers go odourlessly. 

• Funny 2

41 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It's a composite, so of course there are two. The corridor being on opposite sides for first and third emphasises this - it's not a single toilet off a single corridor. However, the layout of the lamps and torpedo vents is a bit confusing... Perhaps it was assumed that first class passengers go odourlessly. 

Haha excellent spot I need to move a vent over or as you have spotted there could be quite a few disgruntled first class passengers!!! And yes you are right there are 2 toilets! But I figured no point in modelling the partition if it’s not going to be seen! I wonder if someone has appropriate DCC sound files to bring that extra realism 😂

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1