• RMweb Premium

Here’s one GNoS coach on the stocks, body in plastic sheet rather than the geewhizz 3D printing that Woko excels in. Doing a colour match, the lake looks like it’s same as the West Coast lines, I used Caledonian purple from Phoenix. It looks very dark in my railway room, I took it out into full sunlight. I have to say it’s a lovely rich colour to put on.IMG_0664.jpeg.b13469eac5eeedea47dc71c283fc36a9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No loco in shot! LNER No. 7297. 

On first looking at your CAD render, I thought: he's yet to finish the door ventilator hoods - but I see they were in fact the plain half-sausage shape you've drawn! Electrically lit, too. 

Good spot, I think the ventilator hoods are a little bit big, and need dialing back a bit, but yes are the plain ole sausage types used later on! I still have quite a few bits to finish on this coach, the roof, extra handrails by the ducket, and the other end is missing all the details, not to mention the solebars and fixing the buffers, and modelling the interior! But looking forward to getting these done, they do look a bit special in the later GNSR livery as you mentioned! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Here’s one GNoS coach on the stocks, body in plastic sheet rather than the geewhizz 3D printing that Woko excels in. Doing a colour match, the lake looks like it’s same as the West Coast lines, I used Caledonian purple from Phoenix. It looks very dark in my railway room, I took it out into full sunlight. I have to say it’s a lovely rich colour to put on.

Thanks for posting it helps massively with the colours, ideally I would love to try and get acrylic paint match, as my skills and patience with enamel is a hugely lacking sadly! So going to try and find a vallejo or Tamiya match if possible!

Looking forward to seeing this finished :)

Thanks

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just stumbled upon your thread! These prints are incredible.

The brickwork on some of the countryside buildings is so impressive. Can I ask how you create it? Are you drawing out the lines of the brick work and then extruding it into the building? Or is there a simpler way?

2 hours ago, juan474747 said:

Just stumbled upon your thread! These prints are incredible.

The brickwork on some of the countryside buildings is so impressive. Can I ask how you create it? Are you drawing out the lines of the brick work and then extruding it into the building? Or is there a simpler way?

Thanks Juan for the kind words chap!

The bricks are individual bricks copied into a pattern, or particular brick bond, and then I copy them around adding and deleting where I need to around windows, doors etc!

It is quite a time consuming way, but gives excellent results i find!

Cheers

Rob

Something completely different but thanks to @thegreenhowards who ran an awesome demonstration on club night at ESMRC on paint stripping this week, using this 7mm West Country as demo subject, which was previously in BR green livery! I will be hoping to repaint her into original SR malachite sunshine livery, not sure what loco name I should pick yet, but looking forward to restoring her back to her painted glory! 

IMG_1189.jpeg.115ea788a9f4750194b22d235bb07dcc.jpeg

IMG_1190.jpeg.15b03e24f0dcc33047faa9e84429a92d.jpeg

• Like 9

Rob, I am certainly not a Bulleid expert but I have delved into Bradley (Locomotives of the Southern Railway, Part 2).

The medium smoke deflectors (as per your loco) were fitted new to 21C158 - 21C170, and retrospectively replaced the short deflectors on earlier locos.  

The 3 window cab was fitted new to 21C166 - 21C170.

However, the casing between the cylinders and front buffer beam was extant in SR days.

However the SR built locos were 8' 6" wide and were fitted with a 4500 gall tender.  Your loco has a 5500 gall tender, which didn't appear until 34071, the first BR build.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks, Ray.  However, and I am somewhat over using "however", a small number of Bulleids were fitted with the long deflectors.  Bradley isn't clear but photographic evidence includes 21C105 and 106.

We really need a Bulleid expert to provide the full story.  Bill

Thanks Bill and Ray, sounds like my plans to repaint this West Country into Southern Sunshine green maybe scuppered, although I may just paint it anyway! I imagine only the hardcore will know ;) Either that or I get a new tender!

Mean while here is an update on the Great North of Scotland Brake Third I have been working on

GNSR_THIRD_05.jpg.58beb98a1fa03b2df0a4bde7e8cf8248.jpg

GNSR_THIRD_06.jpg.42e23f519e8ee6616900353cd336cb2c.jpg

GNSR_THIRD_07.jpg.b078597dfdcfa897b996a000d68e3db4.jpg

GNSR_THIRD_08.jpg.9d081d9731b2873b1a3a8803f7a2d412.jpg

GNSR_THIRD_09.jpg.874241057545afa4978f7e2d9ee676b4.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update on the WC, got back on saturday from my trip, and primed this on sunday! Hopefully I can restore this rather expensive locomotive to its former glory, as I have appeared to ruin it by removing all the paint!!!! Im thinking Vallejo Premium Basic Green is a good match for Malachite green for this loco. 

IMG_1234.JPEG.5246947622dfc3540bfdccdda38ebe70.JPEG  

IMG_1232.JPEG.59b89d33e93e8414121ff473ecaab8fb.JPEG

Vallejo Premium Basic Green 

image.png.066d1c5c0528c5bc736ff69117a39c10.png

• Like 6

Sunday Weathering afternoon!

Also in other news i'm finally working with those lovely fellas from Scottish Wagons to start printing some of my stock all being well, kicking off with some GCR wagons, and hopefully this little GER 5 plank I have been weathering this afternoon! The good news is Paul Lancaster who has kindly been doing some test printing has done an absolute bang up job in getting the wagons to print superbly well, a lot better than my sorry attempts in the past!

Sadly the wagon weathered below is one of my originals but as soon as I can get my grubby mitts on some of Paul's awesome wagons then I will have a go at painting them up, and posting on here as soon as I have a few new updates to share

cheers

Rob

IMG_1252.JPEG.278c4e5a069c8cee730b51a4b22abca4.JPEG

IMG_1253.JPEG.35c31174738e726485a55c6902b67598.JPEG

IMG_1254.JPEG.c09dff25725554789731a7eca4018999.JPEG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• 3 weeks later...

Bank holiday weekend update on the painting and lining of the West County class! 
I think the sunshine stripes need thickening up marginally, and I’m wondering whether to pick out some of the lower pipe work in copper before calling the painting done on this! 

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

IMG_1264.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2