Posted (edited)

Brilliant work.

I remember way back when I was like 10 or something and collected Airfix models. I had this fantasy that it would be amazing to have some machine that just printed out models of whatever we wanted. And now we do!

I'm like Nostradamus in that way I guess.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Brilliant work.

I remember way back when I was like 10 or something and collected Airfix models. I had this fantasy that it would be amazing to have some machine that just printed out models of whatever we wanted. And now we do!

I'm like Nostradamus in that way I guess.

Thank you for the kind words Nostradamus of the RMWeb  ;)

I think honestly if for some reason phones ceased to exist I'd be yeah whatever! However if the same happened to 3d printers I think I would be utterly lost, with a huge void in my life as sad as that sounds now! 

The ability to prototype, build or imagine something completely yourself is a huge game changer for me! Imagine being a kid now with this technology at your hands, how exciting would that be! It be like having every model kit you ever wanted at your finger tips, only limited by your imagination and determination to build them!

Last weekend I was fortunate to spend he day exhibiting at Smithfield at the Gauge O Guild's show at Kempton Park. On the layout helping we had an awesome  kid by the name of Alex who kindly offered to help out with the operation, and by the end of the day he was asking his dad for a 3d printer!! ;) 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

So wanted to take this time whilst my printers are packed away to start modelling up some new stock

Very much work in progress is this LBSCR E6X

There are quite a few details bits I need to add still, but wanted to get the body together to see how she looks, try to fix any glaring errors before I move forward to finalising and splitting the body up ready for printing

Early render of the E6X Body

E6X_02.jpg.0745b29bd35fad39bb062ec71c2ac79b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Update on the 7mm body model files for LBSCR E6X I still have some interior cab details to add, plus some breaking up of meshes for printing properly, but have a better representation of the Westinghouse pump, thanks to better reference photos, and added some more detail to the model to hopefully make it more accurate! I hope to sit this on an existing Dapol Jinty chassis with some additional slaters wheels for the trailing smaller axle wheels!

E6X_07.jpg.cc0bbd3fce954ff575b4592e8fe31f57.jpg

E6X_09.jpg.18e3595e172f4ca36fb2274ff40bef2a.jpg

E6X_10.jpg.e492e2a58aac71ce994602d88f0619bb.jpg

E6X_08.jpg.7d1fa51230bf26d15f9da591bd5d854e.jpg

E6X_11.jpg.91c3f209a4bd1a4afe3d58720b4a51c0.jpg

E6X_12.jpg.fb0f0fa538f19ee1dbd578283f1e01a9.jpg

Edited by woko
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

Wow! That looks spot-on, especially that Westinghouse pump!

The bigger Marsh boiler does look a lot more suited to those compared with the smaller E tanks - the E4X always look very oddly proportioned IMHO.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nick C said:

Wow! That looks spot-on, especially that Westinghouse pump!

The bigger Marsh boiler does look a lot more suited to those compared with the smaller E tanks - the E4X always look very oddly proportioned IMHO.

Thank you kindly, well almost spot on, but as a good friend pointed out the Splasher is not quite right so fixing that next!

And agreed I went for the E6X because of the chunkier boiler just seems to look right to me, or more interesting than the skinnier boilers! Be a while though until i can do a test print so will move onto the next model after tidying up the splasher

• Like 1

Some additional weathering on this 7mm GER cattle wagon wondering whether to weather with a lime wash on this wagon! I know they used the process of liming up until 1924 as disinfectant! 

A207DAB7-570C-446A-B69F-2A27D3D807B2.jpeg.461a51c815d12dcc958a9fba6f9cda20.jpeg

C3153AA7-2319-44E7-8B43-D356F2FE93C2.jpeg.f3f8868639a28638bebc4435a3f348d9.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, woko said:

Some additional weathering on this 7mm GER cattle wagon wondering whether to weather with a lime wash on this wagon! I know they used the process of liming up until 1924 as disinfectant! 

Unless it's (a) on its first trip after coming out of the paintshop (which it evidently isn't) or (b) not in livestock traffic (ale for example) it is literally (by the letter of the law) obligatory.

The inside walls of the wagon would be white from the limewash. One thing pointed out to me recently is that there would be unlikely to be limewash running out of the slats of the wagon at the end with the partition, since the partition would protect it. As seen here:

DY9165DerbyCattleDocks17902CattleVan.jpg.9e8b4397932d977b8c205aea7b2533ed.jpg

[DY 9165 Derby Cattle Dock.]

Your GE cattle truck, with a ventilation gap only at the bottom, would be a bit less of a mess, I suppose.

I have to confess that I'm not very convinced by rusty ironwork on a pre-grouping wagon, especially around such an important working part as the brake lever pivot. But please understand that I only offer such nit-picking thoughts because it's such a superb model.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Unless it's (a) on its first trip after coming out of the paintshop (which it evidently isn't) or (b) not in livestock traffic (ale for example) it is literally (by the letter of the law) obligatory.

The inside walls of the wagon would be white from the limewash. One thing pointed out to me recently is that there would be unlikely to be limewash running out of the slats of the wagon at the end with the partition, since the partition would protect it. As seen here:

[DY 9165 Derby Cattle Dock.]

Your GE cattle truck, with a ventilation gap only at the bottom, would be a bit less of a mess, I suppose.

I have to confess that I'm not very convinced by rusty ironwork on a pre-grouping wagon, especially around such an important working part as the brake lever pivot. But please understand that I only offer such nit-picking thoughts because it's such a superb model.

Thank you kindly sir for taking the time to reply and post such superb reference, and I think I agree I have somewhat gone a bit overboard with the rusty ironwork. Sadly easily done once sitting there weathering, its a strangely enjoyable practice I have found dirtying something up! I might try to tone this back a bit if I can with some water as these are only weathering powders so can potentially be washed back! I shall have a go at the weekend in between house hunting journeys, thank you :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Is it me or does the left hand end/upright have a bend in it.

Keith

Well spotted Keith it certainly does, this was an early 3d printed model so it needed an extra bit of support here, im putting it down to a bit of timber warpage or a rather aggressive shunt ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Schooner said:

Cor!

The doorchains and rings are 3D printed as part of the body, IIRC?

Looks bleddy good!

Thank you buddy, yes sadly they certainly are all part of the 3d printed body ;)

• Like 1

Just been weathering the track on the backscene diorama! Need to finish the signal box and add some glazing to the top cabin, and some interior details 

C4F445EB-0EB9-4ABF-B8ED-3DA139577898.jpeg.973c511cc652cee04bf9fdd412094369.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Superb Rob. So realistic, I had to do a double take when I saw the alliums rising behind the wall!

I think Smithfield would benefit from some more track weathering when you feel like it. Perhaps you could coach us?

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Andy, we should probably do another pass on Smithfield now the pressure of Kempton is off, and see what we would like to do next to the layout?

Ps. Also looking forward to your stripping master class next thursday at the ESMRC ;)

Getting the paint removed from my west County so I can repaint it in sunshine livery would be awesome thank you

Next project is kicking off, starting to build these charming 6 wheelers for a friend, I have 6 different coaches in all planned! This is the first one a Brake third, but can anyone guess what railway company its from? 

thumbnail_gnsr_test_DIA57.jpg.5f6e25ccd7b201554fb382d95b5ada9c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Northroader said:

GNoS.

One sort of expects shabby antiquity but under Pickersgill the Great North built some very handsome and up-to-date vehicles, both bogie and six-wheel.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

GNoS.

I am impressed chaps you both certainly know your stuff, it is Indeed a Pickersgill Diagram 57 all third brake Great North of Scotland Railway!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woko said:

I am impressed chaps you both certainly know your stuff, it is Indeed a Pickersgill Diagram 57 all third brake Great North of Scotland Railway!

I wasn't entirely sure that we hadn't both arrived at GNoS by elimination of all other possibilities! Once @Northroader committed himself, I dug out my GNoS album - A.E. Glen, A.I. Glen, with A. Dunbar (Ian Allan, edition of 1994). Pickersgill carriages are illustrated on pp. 77-79, including 5-compartment third of the same type as your brake third, but lamentably all in LNER simulated teak. I do hope your friend is going for purple lake and cream!

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I wasn't entirely sure that we hadn't both arrived at GNoS by elimination of all other possibilities! Once @Northroader committed himself, I dug out my GNoS album - A.E. Glen, A.I. Glen, with A. Dunbar (Ian Allan, edition of 1994). Pickersgill carriages are illustrated on pp. 77-79, including 5-compartment third of the same type as your brake third, but lamentably all in LNER simulated teak. I do hope your friend is going for purple lake and cream!

that is indeed impressive, and yes i think I know the photo is it in front of a F4 by chance with a cow catcher? Sadly only one of Pickersgill 6 wheeler coaches apparently survived to BR days, and this was the Brake third!

I quite agree it has to be purple lake and cream all the way, and I would very much like to give that livery a go even if they don't! The lining is a bit scary though, but I shall see if i can make some guides to help me out!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, woko said:

that is indeed impressive, and yes i think I know the photo is it in front of a F4 by chance with a cow catcher?

No loco in shot! LNER No. 7297. 

On first looking at your CAD render, I thought: he's yet to finish the door ventilator hoods - but I see they were in fact the plain half-sausage shape you've drawn! Electrically lit, too. 

• Like 1