The Class 89, By Accurascale With Rails of Sheffield

On 10/07/2024 at 09:32, No Decorum said:

Stupendous achievement! I expressed an interest in the model at EoI stage and then, to try to help things along, added one in GNER livery without even being able to put money aside. A bit of creative accounting required, followed by more as a sound project was announced! I’m not convinced that Hornby’s new 91 is all that it should be but a full train of GNER coaches sort of fell into my  lap when they were deeply discounted. Somehow, it all seemed to work.

I wonder if BR was right not to proceed with the 89 project. On its own, it could haul frieght trains which required two Bo-Bos to haul.

Well on the modern railway, pairs of bo-bo class 90s have traction motors isolated to reduce current draw as the OLE and mains connections can’t cope.

id think a massive fleet of 89s doing freight work (passenger wounds still have gone over to 390s)  would have blown too many fuses (I like the premise though and maybe a Tesla rung of a model or 3 in sectorisation  livery might happen eventually)

Edited by black and decker boy
Typo

• 1 month later...
  • Accurascale staff
48 minutes ago, Monkey28 said:

Any update on the arrival of the 89? Will it still arrive this year 

Hi @Monkey28,

Production is continuing and as per our last update from the factory they will arrive in stock this year.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for mine to arrive.  Seeing it made available was one of the reasons for introducing OHLE onto my layout. That was a nightmare to out up so I'll be damned if I'm not going to be overjoyed when the badger finally arrives to run under it.

Now... could we have an 81 next?  Pretty please :)  a superb 87 would be cherry on the cake too.  Ohhh and please make decent pantogrpahs available as spares... there's a dirth of these available for AC electrics

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had the Gold GNER on order almost since announcement. Since Hornby changed from un-refurbished  to later Mk4’s, I’ve been searching to see if it ran with Intercity Mk4’s, but it appears that only the White GNER ran with the Intercity Mk4’s, so have to order that one now and move the Gold one on later. 

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2022 at 15:11, Accurascale Fran said:

We will monitor demand and see.

Cheers!

Fran 

Was any decision made on wheel sets? +1 for EM if there was! Sorry if ive missed something elsewhere in the thread.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2024 at 11:30, 90136 said:

I’ve had the Gold GNER on order almost since announcement. Since Hornby changed from un-refurbished  to later Mk4’s, I’ve been searching to see if it ran with Intercity Mk4’s, but it appears that only the White GNER ran with the Intercity Mk4’s, so have to order that one now and move the Gold one on later. 

What else would the gold GNER have run with other than Mk4s?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Ajax50046 said:

A quick peruse of said complainant's Twitter feed reveal the rantings of a self-obsessed lunatic.

Voicing opinions won't help Accurascale deal with the issue. Let's leave those out of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The problem is that the GNER Mk4s that Hornby have made are in refurbished condition, with the red doors and the pod on the DVT for wifi. The Mk4s were refurbished after GNER had retired the 89, so are technically wrong to run with the 89. So you can ignore it like I'm doing and engage with a bit of rule 1 to run refurbished coaches with the 89. Alternatively the 89 with white GNER lettering ran with rakes of Intercity branded Mk4s, so you could run that as a consist. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

The problem is that the GNER Mk4s that Hornby have made are in refurbished condition, with the red doors and the pod on the DVT for wifi. The Mk4s were refurbished after GNER had retired the 89, so are technically wrong to run with the 89. So you can ignore it like I'm doing and engage with a bit of rule 1 to run refurbished coaches with the 89. Alternatively the 89 with white GNER lettering ran with rakes of Intercity branded Mk4s, so you could run that as a consist. 

or just buy the previous old tooling mk4’s… I found there to be precious little in it, I simply cut off the coupling, mounted a roco close coupling, glued the steps on, and span the bogies the opposite way around.

Ive not really been convinced that the new mk4’s are that much better than the old ones, and tbh feels like the new one is a bit of a dogs dinner.

I went for a new DVT though, colour match is very close.

Before..

IMG_4983.jpeg.af6e4399454f8c97ec17047e5fe07600.jpeg

comparison..

New vs old mk5..

IMG_4960.jpeg.93411d32f673d301bcea601a565039e2.jpeg

IMG_4963.jpeg.54a97b12baff4041daa579d5a9c44866.jpeg

conversion..

(cut off the steps from the bogie, and removed the old coupling completely).

Then glued the steps onto the frame.

IMG_4971.jpeg.d7f457d0679c34d5ec12aabf194503f5.jpeg

After.. (spin the bogie around).

IMG_4985.jpeg.3bea1cbbd1a6d41076a839ee4a40b0a4.jpeg

Effort about 10 minutes, cost about £5.50 a pair  of couplings (though they are sold in bags of 12 for c£35). The old GNER mk4’s are virtually freeware on ebay.

i’ll stick with my oldies until someone doesnt a decent mk4.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

10 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi folks,

All I can say is that it is in the hands of our legal team.

As you can imagine we can make no further comment, other than we see no delay to the model.

Cheers!

Fran

Dammit Fran, I take a look at this thread I see there has been some activity and hoping for an update only to see some references to legal teams etc and start to panic! Hope everything is still on track! You know how much I am looking forward to this loco! 😁

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

I have obviously missed something. Legal action about what?

Someone proposed adding snow ploughs to the badger and a riot broke out.

offenders have already been sentenced to three years in Margate.

Some GNER class 91’s were released early to make space for them.

😃

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Just look back a page!

Too late that threads gone.

It was replaced by a Railroad class 90 and mk3’s.

nothing to see here, looks like 89001 is to have any TB eradicated…

https://deframedia.blog.gov.uk/2024/09/02/government-announces-tb-eradication-strategy-to-end-the-badger-cull/

😃

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

or just buy the previous old tooling mk4’s… I found there to be precious little in it, I simply cut off the coupling, mounted a roco close coupling, glued the steps on, and span the bogies the opposite way around.

Ive not really been convinced that the new mk4’s are that much better than the old ones, and tbh feels like the new one is a bit of a dogs dinner.

I went for a new DVT though, colour match is very close.

Before..

IMG_4983.jpeg.af6e4399454f8c97ec17047e5fe07600.jpeg

comparison..

New vs old mk5..

IMG_4960.jpeg.93411d32f673d301bcea601a565039e2.jpeg

IMG_4963.jpeg.54a97b12baff4041daa579d5a9c44866.jpeg

conversion..

(cut off the steps from the bogie, and removed the old coupling completely).

Then glued the steps onto the frame.

IMG_4971.jpeg.d7f457d0679c34d5ec12aabf194503f5.jpeg

After.. (spin the bogie around).

IMG_4985.jpeg.3bea1cbbd1a6d41076a839ee4a40b0a4.jpeg

Effort about 10 minutes, cost about £5.50 a pair  of couplings (though they are sold in bags of 12 for c£35). The old GNER mk4’s are virtually freeware on ebay.

i’ll stick with my oldies until someone doesnt a decent mk4.

I've run both old Margate made and New China IC ones together. And agree not much in it. Picks on the appropriate Hornby thread. I picked up the new mk4s at £20 a pop recently which makes a better train than my hodgepodge of old Mk3s with a HST DVT. (though the mk4 DVT was a bit more). The new does have NEMs though, and I replaced the tension locks with roco style to allow for eventual push-pull.

Looking forwards to the 89.... 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 02/09/2024 at 23:44, Pete the Elaner said:

My point was the new Hornby Mk4’s are modelled on the Mallard upgrades with the orange doors, as far as I am aware, the 89 never ran with these. The only images I can see of the GNeR 89 with intercity mk4’s is the white lettering. I’m not disputing what they ran with, more the livery they carried. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1