The Class 89, By Accurascale With Rails of Sheffield

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, YT-1300 said:

It isn't the same thing, putting money away without using an online system means that money is available instantly if needed for an emergency, it's not tied up in an online system.

After all, that's what we used to do before these services became available.

I'm certainly not judging anyone, my own outlook is that I don't commit to buying anything for my hobbies unless I can afford to pay for it in one lump sum, whether I chose to do that or not.

We are specifically talking about model railway purchases that are spread over a period of time thus it is sort of the same thing but you are now getting into the realms of whether people have money stashed away or not and in your specific case have a lump sum for model railway purchases which a lot of people don't hence why Partially or some other payment system is used.

We are talking about a specific budget for a model where the customer has used Partially to spread the costs until completion but now they're in a situation where the remaining lump sum has been taken out without their knowledge which can cause issues and yes they may have savings but in another account or elsewhere for a specific purpose and not for model railway items which goes back to why they used Partially in the first place.

Again, everyone is different and some may have money to cover the unexpected cost and others may not and now have to scramble to cover that cost which to them is an inconvenience within their own financial bubble.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just double-checked the Partialy payment that came out a couple of days ago followed by the notification that it was fully paid now - turns out it was the last one anyway. Which just leaves me with the dipstick Rodney to finish off.

• Accurascale staff

For clarity there was a small issue with a very small number of orders that had used partially on the ‘reservation fee and balance later’ model which we no longer do.

Most users will just have had a regular balance invoice raised with a due date about 90 days hence.

If anyone was actually charged by the system and wants that money back just let us know directly and we will sort that immediately. 

On the balance orders you can avail of paypal credit, Clearpay and revolut pay in three to further spread the balance at no cost to you. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, YT-1300 said:

If someone is put in difficult financial circumstances by an unexpected payment for a discretionary item then maybe they should be looking closely at their spending patterns.

1 hour ago, YT-1300 said:

I'm certainly not judging anyone,

🤔

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

For those receiving payment made notifications, a suggestion is to check your bank a/c or credit card. I have an order affected by this Partial.ity issue, not the Class 89, but 6 mk1 suburban coaches. I received advice 6 weeks ago that payment had been taken, without receiving a payment request. On checking my credit card on-line, no money had been taken and my Partial.ity account showed the balance as outstanding, yet my Accurascale account showed the order as 'paid'. So worth checking to see if payment has actually been debited.

• Like 3

Payment has been taken, as McC has confirmed above. 

My own personal frustration with this whole thing is that the agreement with partial.ly is that a deposit was paid, with the balance due when the loco was in transit to the UK. Fair enough, that is what I signed up to. 

Then, with no announcement or notification, I find that the balance payment has been taken. It is obvious that the loco is not even in production yet and is still due in Q3 2024 at the moment. I do not wish to pay for something that I need not pay for upfront (this isn't a crowdfunded product) and will have no use from or ownership of for several months.

I did make a regular monthly payment into a savings account every month since ordering the loco and thus have enough saved to pay for it, without being left out of pocket. But let's put this simply: I don't need to pay for it yet and so I don't want to pay for it yet.

I'm not massively impressed with Accurascale's comms on the matter on this thread. They've been opaque and a little dismissive (IE referring to only a small amount of customers being affected). Although I do note that I can opt to have the money refunded "immediately", which I shall most certainly be doing. 

As a result of this episode, I do feel slightly less valued as a potential future customer by Accurascale and I understand if it looks like I've ranted on rmweb, but I wouldn't have found out what had happened yet via other channel - which I have used.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

When I pre-ordered my Evening Star shed it insisted on payment.

I had no intention of not receiving and fortunately had funds available, so completed my order - not long for this one now - yippee!!

Glitches happen - just ask the Post Office!!  (sorry!)

Al.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Accurascale staff
16 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

According to my order, it’s not even in production yet. Clock is ticking, October isn’t that far away….IMG_2396.png.83ebdf37c55e58bf0823de4425a6fb35.png

Is your order mixed with something else? If not please drop me a pm with the order ID. thanks!

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

Stupendous achievement! I expressed an interest in the model at EoI stage and then, to try to help things along, added one in GNER livery without even being able to put money aside. A bit of creative accounting required, followed by more as a sound project was announced! I’m not convinced that Hornby’s new 91 is all that it should be but a full train of GNER coaches sort of fell into my  lap when they were deeply discounted. Somehow, it all seemed to work.

I wonder if BR was right not to proceed with the 89 project. On its own, it could haul frieght trains which required two Bo-Bos to haul.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 10/07/2024 at 08:32, No Decorum said:

I wonder if BR was right not to proceed with the 89 project. On its own, it could haul frieght trains which required two Bo-Bos to haul.

It depends on the trains forecast at the time, the 90’s and 91’s were powerful enough and even when they doubled up the 86’s, 87’s and later 90’s it gives the advantage that if one fails you can still move the train albeit at reduced speed. Co Co’s have an advantage at low speed starting heavy freight like coal trains or where axle loading is an issue. We’ve never really used electrics on that traffic in the UK as the terminals aren’t electrified so they’ve pretty much been on intermodal or passenger duty where the Bo Bo has slightly more flexibility. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Stupendous achievement! I expressed an interest in the model at EoI stage and then, to try to help things along, added one in GNER livery without even being able to put money aside. A bit of creative accounting required, followed by more as a sound project was announced! I’m not convinced that Hornby’s new 91 is all that it should be but a full train of GNER coaches sort of fell into my  lap when they were deeply discounted. Somehow, it all seemed to work.

Class 92 was supposed to be the answer to that..

On 10/07/2024 at 09:32, No Decorum said:

Well on the modern railway, pairs of bo-bo class 90s have traction motors isolated to reduce current draw as the OLE and mains connections can’t cope.

id think a massive fleet of 89s doing freight work (passenger wounds still have gone over to 390s)  would have blown too many fuses (I like the premise though and maybe a Tesla rung of a model or 3 in sectorisation  livery might happen eventually)

Edited by black and decker boy
Typo