The Class 89, By Accurascale With Rails of Sheffield

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

89 was never a freight loco, even if built, it would be in service today still as a passenger loco.

The closest ive seen to a slope front freight loco is the OBB Taurus loco (which equally looks cool).

1116 136, Wolf 🇦🇹, 10 March 2016

(flickr url not mine)

if it had built built in number, maybe now we would have seen some in Grand Central running on Euston to Blackpools.

They sound pretty cool too...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stuart A said:

I'm really looking forward to the announcement in September of the N gauge version.  The OO samples look incredible!

I don't know why I just have a feeling this will be announced at TINGs with Rails of Sheffield. Revolution Trains have gone very quiet on their' version so it makes me wonder is this the first true Accurascale N gauge model

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

I don't know why I just have a feeling this will be announced at TINGs with Rails of Sheffield. Revolution Trains have gone very quiet on their' version so it makes me wonder is this the first true Accurascale N gauge model

Yeah, I'm putting 2 and 2 together here but it's now over 3 years since Revolution put an EOI out and from what was said there was substantial interest in it.  But no concrete follow ups, only that there was a need to seek partners....

"Last but definitely not least, we haven't forgotten about the results of the expressions of interest for a Class 89 in N - we received a lot of interest in the project. We're at a stage where we have enough interest to investigate further in terms of finalising numbers for the project though this involves more partners and will therefore take us a bit more time. We'll make an announcement on our website as soon as we have any news. You could say we're badger-ing away!"

Accurascale have recently asked which models people would like to see in N.

It's got to happen, surely?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Stuart A said:

Yeah, I'm putting 2 and 2 together here but it's now over 3 years since Revolution put an EOI out and from what was said there was substantial interest in it.  But no concrete follow ups, only that there was a need to seek partners....

"Last but definitely not least, we haven't forgotten about the results of the expressions of interest for a Class 89 in N - we received a lot of interest in the project. We're at a stage where we have enough interest to investigate further in terms of finalising numbers for the project though this involves more partners and will therefore take us a bit more time. We'll make an announcement on our website as soon as we have any news. You could say we're badger-ing away!"

Accurascale have recently asked which models people would like to see in N.

It's got to happen, surely?

I totally agree, I don't want to cast anything negative on Revolution here but they have announced other models after this expression closed and still nothing for the Badger in N gauge, so is it because someone else is picking up the mantle?

Accurascale partnering with Rails or someone else seems logical to me, especially as it gives Accurasccale a real foot in the door for  N gauge supported by a well known retailer they have ties with but more importantly I feel it can give them a real "wow" factor at TINGS - Acurascale have no stand there but if they did we would know something was coming. Drop it unannounced on us and shock everyone (well most of us)

The only thing that would make me go against it is would the 89 be too niche for a first N gauge project? I definitely want one or 2 - pair of Intercity for me, but how many people will buy them? Hopefully enough to get it to market

Edited by Ed-farms

Accurascale must have worked really hard to get that pantograph working on the 92.  Others have tried and failed (Bachmann excepted and there's is very good imo)

the 89 would have been a progression of that investment and then any other emu or loco. Hopefully an 88 next .

Don't think an N gauge 89 would be a great idea for detail freaks like Accurascale when for now they can mine gold more easily in OO 

For example how about Lab 4 Prometheus?

How about it Accurascale?

Edited by letterspider

13 hours ago, letterspider said:

Accurascale must have worked really hard to get that pantograph working.  Others have tried and failed (Bachmann excepted and there's is very good imo)

the 89 would be a natural progression of that investment and then any other emu or loco. Hopefully an 88 next .

Don't think an N gauge 89 would be a great idea for detail freaks like Accurascale when they can mine gold more easily in OO 

For example how about Lab 4 Prometheus?

An 88 you said? It’s a gap I would love to see filled, especially by someone who has mastered pantographs.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, letterspider said:

Don't think an N gauge 89 would be a great idea for detail freaks like Accurascale when for now they can mine gold more easily in OO 

Accurascale have said that they want to get into N Gauge under their own name. Having already made the PCV and PFA for Revolution I don't see why the class 89 couldn't be their tow in the water. Personally, I suspect a Siphon or Mk2b might be more likely.

Steven B

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 13/06/2023 at 12:00, Accurascale said:

Badgers Break Cover! Check Out Class 89 Decorated Samples And Update

GEB_1063copy(1)copy.jpg.aec89b71216bd20421a4d4161dfca9a9.jpg

Great news! We've received decorated samples of our exciting new Class 89 special edition locomotive produced in association with our friends Rails Of Sheffield!

Yesterday we previewed the beautiful GNER blue Badger on our social media channels and promised a full update on one of our most hotly anticipated projects to date.

GEB_1060copy2.jpg.67d957790e47520b016c2bebaec10717.jpg

Now we can bring you up to speed with the progress of the project and reveal the one off loco in its as delivered Intercity Executive livery and of course the Intercity Swallow from its BR days and as it is currently in preservation.

GEB_0879copy2.jpg.8398dc71e7ec45b24d386a1f3163ec99.jpg

As you can see, it has progressed very well since announcement last summer, with the tooling samples and now these decorated samples looking very well indeed. Our factory has done a truly fabulous job in tooling this marvel of Brush Engineering in miniature, with the complex shape around the face of the locomotive being spot on and matching perfectly with our scan and drawings.

GEB_0902copy2.jpg.81ed33aae86af6db1b25b83a4cc06ac2.jpg

Utilising the same DCC operated pantograph mechanism as our much loved Class 92, the 89 has tried and tested technology throughout meaning we have been able to develop this locomotive at a much quicker pace than our Dyson, which once again is the benefit of now having several cutting edge locomotives under our belts. 

GEB_1058copy2.jpg.f7b17d5835cc5f54ca2b0afd8c7c0951.jpg

The locomotive is an excellent performer too, with excellent smooth running characteristics, weighty chassis meaning excellent haulage capacity, and of course, our industry leading specification of Powerbank capacitors, helical gearing and multiple lighting configurations means it will be a talking point on any layout.

GEB_1075copy2.jpg.d4fcf9e8876e370afdb68d18a3c4d018.jpg

Sound will be of course provided via ESU Loksound 5 DCC decoders with a full custom sound file. It will also make use of our much loved Accurathrash sound set up with large speaker and smaller sugar cube speaker for maximum sound performance.

GEB_0920copy2.jpg.d7fb74c3fb54afd5a981fbc73871e194.jpg

We are anxiously awaiting completion of the repairs of the real locomotive at Brush Loughborough before recording the loco sound in the coming weeks. You can bet that the sound file on this locomotive is going to sound awesome!

GEB_1057copy2.jpg.a0d11827040668a90152bbdad0ea138f.jpg

With China now returning to normal after their change on COVID policy in early 2023 production is gearing up but has been slightly delayed due to the shut down of factories earlier this year. We will now see delivery in Q4 2023 instead of Q3 2023 as mentioned when first announced but as you can see, the slight delay will be well worth it.

GEB_0899copy2.jpg.f4a0ef5073a7681b54a37e69a7717f17.jpg

Make sure you get your order in via Rails of Sheffield, or direct via our website by clicking the link below. With production about to commence we are about to confirm production numbers with the factory so expect these to sell out quickly in the coming weeks. Don't miss out!

Pre-order your Class 89 today right here: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-89

GEB_1041 copy 2.jpg

GEB_1054 copy 2.jpg

GEB_0882 copy 2.jpg

That looks fantastic. I would be happy to buy an Intercity Executive version. Nice work Accurascale! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

I never seen 89001 in service, ive never seen it working, ive never really taken any interest in it at all....... but dam, im so tempted to buy the model, it looks so good!

Imagine how I feel @GEARJAMMER, I did see it in service, many times, had it for haulage, but it isn’t my era. However, just like you, I am so tempted!

For me, the 89 shows just what Accurascale can achieve (not saying anything else is bad) and excites me for the future. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
On 24/06/2023 at 19:36, GEARJAMMER said:

I never seen 89001 in service, ive never seen it working, ive never really taken any interest in it at all....... but dam, im so tempted to buy the model, it looks so good!

Only a matter of time before it returns.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The intercity exec livery is simply stunning from what I saw in person. Even my dad who is a staunch Steam-era (1968 remembering) man said it looked very good and that is truly saying something considering it's not steam!

• Like 1

Photos of the pre-production models at Chester look like the gap between the body and bogies is too large.

The castings on the body and bogie more or less touch on the real loco.

I know this is a model and we are talking fractions and Accurascale may have had to compromise with the loco needing to go round 2nd radius curves but my eyes keep being drawn to the ride height.

4609983044_af8fb22862_o.jpg

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Magna Junction said:

Photos of the pre-production models at Chester look like the gap between the body and bogies is too large.

I know this is a model and we are talking fractions and Accurascale may have had to compromise with the loco needing to go round 2nd radius curves but my eyes keep being drawn to the ride height.

The gap looks tiny to me and I would suggest that any smaller and the loco would derail on any change to an incline or twist in the track (change to a camber on a curve for example).

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, Magna Junction said:

That large casting you refer to is fixed to the locomotive, the two grey items are very large dampers and connect the bogie to the casting. The replicate such an arrangement in model form with microscopic dampers would be impossible so the Accurascale lads have taken the sensible step of making the mounting part of the bogie and hence a split that isn't on the real loco.

8 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Its known as a derailment bracket \Claw. Its a similar looking design to those used on 40s &Peaks .When the loco is lifted clear of bogies these are removed due to there claw arrangement. The ones on Peaks & 40s are cast . & a swine to remove.  

Sorry you're wrong, the casting is the mounting point for the yaw/rotational dampers that in conjunction with two lateral dampers inside the frame and a set of vertical dampers and coil springs transmit all the forces between the loco body and bogies. Bogie retention is via other features internal to the bogie frame.

3 hours ago, TM2201A said:

Sorry you're wrong, the casting is the mounting point for the yaw/rotational dampers that in conjunction with two lateral dampers inside the frame and a set of vertical dampers and coil springs transmit all the forces between the loco body and bogies. Bogie retention is via other features internal to the bogie frame.

I bow to your better knowledge. My reference came from working on a class 45 . We lifted it several times . My background is not as a railway employee .in fact very much the opposite.  

7 hours ago, TM2201A said:

That large casting you refer to is fixed to the locomotive, the two grey items are very large dampers and connect the bogie to the casting. The replicate such an arrangement in model form with microscopic dampers would be impossible so the Accurascale lads have taken the sensible step of making the mounting part of the bogie and hence a split that isn't on the real loco.

Maybe they could have compromised on the size of the casting on the bogie to bring the bogies a little closer to the body, still hasn't put me off and looking forward to getting mine because they look fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic model, I'm thinking of getting one of the IC Swallow versions, but I'm wondering whats the difference between the original and current day versions.

The current day version seems to lack the antenna on one of the cabs, and the pantograph base is painted in a different colour, but I am not sure if:

1: What those differences are for, and

2: if there are any other differences between the two.

This would greatly help me decide between the two.

23 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

Fantastic model, I'm thinking of getting one of the IC Swallow versions, but I'm wondering whats the difference between the original and current day versions.

The current day version seems to lack the antenna on one of the cabs, and the pantograph base is painted in a different colour, but I am not sure if:

1: What those differences are for, and

2: if there are any other differences between the two.

This would greatly help me decide between the two.

The antenna will be for the NRN cab radio. Current day will have GSMR which has a much flatter receiver on the roof

• Like 1