Brighton Trafalgar - An Edwardian LB&SCR Terminus

I had actually tentatively named the layout Brighton Victoria before, @Curlew . I would prefer to omit a subtitle so Brighton (Trafalgar Rd) is less desirable than "Brighton Trafalgar" even if the latter is a bit on the nose. I'm quite happy with Brighton Victoria, I just forgot I had called it that at some point. BV or BT? Hmmm...

Anyway, all the track is laid now bar the additional FY tracks for which I'm now waiting on some No. 2 brass screws to finish. I was hoping to get the wiring done on the rest of the layout today and run some trains but honestly I was not prepared for how boring wiring is. I had forgotten.

image.png.676d4182fc1a679efada3f5d837f3d39.png

I'm wiring droppers to the brass screws at each board joint, since the rails are soldered together on the platform board, and split down the middle in the throat board. - hopefully it's going to mean the underneath is as simple as it gets. I'm still debating the relative merits of mechanical turnout control - there's space in the foreground of the throat board for a lever frame. Time to dig back into the Peter Denny Buckingham books!

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

I think it has to be at lease parseable by non-Brightonians, so right now it's up between "Brighton Trafalgar" and "Brighton Victoria" - nowhere near making sign-boards yet though, so no rush.

As a former resident of Brighton (Hove, actually) I've been following this and I think your point about making the name recognisably Brightonian is sound. I prefer Trafalgar because, notwithstanding the proximity of Victoria Gardens, Victoria is associated too strongly with London.

Other alternatives might be Brighton Queen's Road or Brighton Pavilion, although the latter seems a little far-fetched.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I've been to Black Rock, on the Volks Railway, a few times when I was somewhat younger. 

Another possible name?

Probably be called Brighton Marina, these days. 

Edited by Siberian Snooper
Added the bit about marina.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Other alternatives might be Brighton Queen's Road or Brighton Pavilion, although the latter seems a little far-fetched.

Well 'Brighton Pavilion' is a parliamentary constituency, so why not?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Did the nameboards in pre-Southern days just say "London Road"?

I'd be surprised if that was the case. The BoT required the name of the station to be displayed on running-in boards, lamps, etc. but this was for the benefit of passengers, for whom 'Brighton' would be much more informative than 'London Road'. If I'd fallen asleep and was fuddled on awakening, I might think I'd arrived in Manchester rather than London!

Query: at this period, were terminal stations required to have running in boards? I've scoured the Midland Railway Study Centre online catalogue for photos of London (St Pancras), Manchester (Central), and Leeds (Wellington) without seeing any, but that might just be a consequence of the angles preferred by the photographers. This postcard of Leeds c. 1904 seems to be the best positive evidence for lack of running in boards:

67746.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 67746.]

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

If I'd fallen asleep and was fuddled on awakening, I might think I'd arrived in Manchester rather than London!

I fancy Guildford, a couple of hundred miles closer, might be more likely. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Of course London Road (Brighton) is a LBSCR station name derived from a street. According to Wikipedia it was originally to have been named Ditchling Rise...  Did the nameboards in pre-Southern days just say "London Road"?

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'd be surprised if that was the case. The BoT required the name of the station to be displayed on running-in boards, lamps, etc. but this was for the benefit of passengers, for whom 'Brighton' would be much more informative than 'London Road'. If I'd fallen asleep and was fuddled on awakening, I might think I'd arrived in Manchester rather than London!

Query: at this period, were terminal stations required to have running in boards? I've scoured the Midland Railway Study Centre online catalogue for photos of London (St Pancras), Manchester (Central), and Leeds (Wellington) without seeing any, but that might just be a consequence of the angles preferred by the photographers. This postcard of Leeds c. 1904 seems to be the best positive evidence for lack of running in boards:

67746.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 67746.]

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

But not a terminus, so likely to be slept through.

Some confusion here, I think. London Road (Brighton) is a passing station on the Lewes line, not the main terminus.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1