Brighton Trafalgar - An Edwardian LB&SCR Terminus

Maybe i was looking in the wrong place- foam board is ordered now either way - if that fails then celotex to the rescue! 

Dave s. of the Brighton Circle provided this close up of the buffers at Central Croydon, which Brighton seemed to share a pattern with:

image.png.de94f28e40b4437cbabe1f1164e21cb1.png

It looks like there's eight sleepers worth of rail after the fishplate, so that's more than enough leeway to fiddle around. I must make sure to leave space in the platform surface for the angled rails to recess into them. @justin1985 poses a pertinent question - would there have been planks above for access to the rear supports of the bufferstop, or would the whole lot just be encased in hardcore and forgotten about?

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Realustic or not planked would look prettier, or at least more interesting, and suggest a real object with real purpose and in need of looking after rather than just a bit of coffee stirrer glued to some Wills platform brickwork (eg).

Don't ask how I know... :)

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Baffling. my local DIY shop offers 125x60mm 20mm thick for less than £5. That would make a lot of platforms!

I think you might have missed off a zero or two. And which diy shop? 
D

• RMweb Gold

Can't find 20mm now, but here is 30mm for just over £4. Several other thicknesses.

https://www.bricomarche.com/p/panneau-polystyrene-xps-n-w-e-125x60cm-ep-30mm/8435062207371

As you live in Pompey, Brittany Ferries will be pleased to take your car across to Ouistreham to collect some from a Bricomarché. There's one a couple of miles from the port. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

I promised myself that I wouldn't update this thread until the track was laid, but I took an impromptu visit to Brighton and for a moment I was completely disoriented as the platform side had only three windows:

image.png.235e86f2bbc2ee90b518f65235314513.png

Above the roofline, the wings are still L-shaped and when you peer through the glass you can see the additional window in the floor above the roof too:

image.png.60197ffcfc82658d94f29e77f8fae452.png

So it looks like the decorative stonework was either moved (or built) three windows from the corner. It must have looked very strange from platform side indeed. Unless this was done at some point during the renovation works - I don't have any photos really of the building from this side except modern ones. 

In this configuration the building would look liked 3-9-3 instead of 4-6-4 - and my version is currently 4-5-4 

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

So with a day clear of any obligation ahead of me - I put down some objectives for Brighton East (tentative name) for today:

1. Lay the P3 runaround
  2. Lay the P1 and P2 platform roads
  3. Fit droppers for each track at the terminus end
  4. Fit some cross-board wiring plugs and sockets
  5. Run some light engine movements!

One and two achieved rather quickly:

image.png.bf987aeb800ea3aa2de00af2753bdd2e.png

I mis-laid the rear underlay, so please ignore how the tracks look like they're veering off the edge!

While I had the rear track in place I thought I'd test out access and while the layout is situated ideally for visuals, I'm not sure that the use of three links is going to work - but that's a problem for another day:

image.png.10857841d5026fd7c6de765c9392e8fb.png

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Your tentative name has already been used by an RMwebber called Kipford for his model, based on Kemp Town, which has had success on the exhibition circuit. That may or may not matter!

He'll have to call it "Brighton Zeta East".

• Like 2

Well I think it's only the right thing to do to not directly impinge on someone else's naming! Some other ideas I had knocking around:

• Brighton Low-Level
  • Brighton St. Giles
  • Brighton Laines, or just 'Laines'
  • Brighton Trafalgar

Answers on a postcard please? My foamcore has arrived - huzzah! - time to see how far 10 sheets gets me, I guess! 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Brighton Low-Level - sounds a bit grim...

Brighton St. Giles - I like this

Brighton Laines, or just 'Laines' - not so much, for me. When spoken, might be confused for Brighton Lanes

Brighton Trafalgar - I also like this.

Brighton St. Giles has a good rhythm to it.

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, choo1choo said:

Off the wall now...

How about Brighthelmstone....

Craig.

That's been used as well, although much less notably 😛

Gary

EDIT: This doesn't mean don't use it, I would not object to a layout of a station having the same name as my loco works

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

My thoughts exactly @BlueLightning ! Maybe "Brighton Trafalgar" (because of the roads that the station would have been built over and around)  - but then is it a little on the nose when held up against "London Waterloo" ? 

Unexpectedly the brass tube and PCB turned up today, so rather than wiring I thought I'd try to get the FY alignment pins done - it seems to work!

image.png.9af1bc94d5917d567352f6be9ff0e679.png

Not perfect and it needs a bit of fettling yet, but in broad terms it's looking good. There's ALOT of slop in those drawer runners, and given that my other hobby is Model Engineering where thousands-of-an-inch matter it's a bit dismaying, but this is 00 after all and the stock does go through.

I have another four pads and tubes cut and ready but I'm just about out of No. 2 brass screws, so the layout's final track-laying will be delayed for a couple of weeks given the Easter weekend now, and then next week I'm on holiday - but what I've got should be enough for me to lash it up later today or tomorrow morning for a ribbon cutting ceremony.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Another name suggestion - Brighton Racecourse. The real course wasn't far from Kemp Town Station, and the LBSC had quite a few stations serving racecourses, plus it gives an excuse for a fairly grand station to impress the well-to-do racegoers, and lots of special traffic...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

Maybe "Brighton Trafalgar" (because of the roads that the station would have been built over and around)  - but then is it a little on the nose when held up against "London Waterloo" ? 

Agreed, but easily softened to Brighton (Trafalgar Rd) if you did want to make that link.

Edited by Schooner
If not clear, Bri. Traf. being my favourite suggestion so far
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

Well I think it's only the right thing to do to not directly impinge on someone else's naming! Some other ideas I had knocking around:

• Brighton Low-Level
  • Brighton St. Giles
  • Brighton Laines, or just 'Laines'
  • Brighton Trafalgar

Answers on a postcard please? My foamcore has arrived - huzzah! - time to see how far 10 sheets gets me, I guess! 

How about  Brighton Stade (south coast equivalent of Staithe - somewhere you pull boats up). 

Best wishes 

Eric  

• Like 2

Depending where on Trafalgar Street your station is placed you could go for,

Brighton - St Peters

Brighton - Pelham Square (or Street)

Brighton - London Road

I do like Trafalgar but I feel like it's missing something.

I quite like something with Chain Pier or Marina but they're not quite in your area of interest.

Kind Regards,

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Your tentative name has already been used by an RMwebber called Kipford for his model, based on Kemp Town, which has had success on the exhibition circuit. That may or may not matter!

If you can't use Brighton East, can you use East Brighton?

• Funny 2

You could always take a leaf out of the Brighton’s Croydon book, where there was the boring East, West and South, but the added zest of Central and New. New Brighton sounds good, but it might upset the citizens of the Wirral, but duplicate station names did exist, and it might provide an excuse for some interesting northern visitors!

• Like 5