Z scale modelling

47606odin

More minor points.

Marklin semaphore signals: really, really nice. But 5 of 6 have needed (so far) to be taken out and the bottom-bearing oiled. Woe would have been me if I'd glued them in firmly, and I'm dreading the awkwardly-sited one needing doing to make 6/6. I think designing-from-first-principles I'd say use the relay+lights signals options not the semaphore. But they are cute.

Coaches have a wider loading-gauge than the locomotives (steam basis). This has meant that light-engine testing of the track has to be followed by full-train testing. So far the difference has been that the carriages catch on the Marklin-design power pick-ups (etc. etc.) until the retention springs that are not in use are also folded down.

Busch flashing level-crossing lights. Very nice, and designed to accommodate one on each side of the tracks with supreme ease, but Busch also sell an infra-red-beam controller for them - don't bother. It's far too big and obtrusive even vaguely to fit into a prototype-look layout. I went with a Marklin relay and their circuit tracks to do on/off, and that worked well. This is probably a better option for level crossings than the Marklin half-barriers - I have much more confidence that the Busch system can run continuously than the Marklin solenoids holding the half-barriers can. However, one of each adds variety.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Well my winter Wunderland layout has had some more work done and is looking less wintery 

IMG_4908.jpeg.1a66f1e64113686d8d726a5c5789747e.jpeg

IMG_4909.jpeg.b3e48e192ab5fe9c4ca0732ed66f7bcb.jpeg

IMG_4910.jpeg.bf602e50be022ccc918e9c6bfa5182ca.jpeg

IMG_4911.jpeg.5a4fa3a4c61ed577ded423fec615cb36.jpeg

now I am waiting for some resin to arrive for the pond, then add a few plants and trees, the layout will then be ready for adding the snow. 

I thought by adding grasses etc the snow might look a little more real than just painting everything white. Hopefully it’ll be ready for Christmas, but it already looks better than last years plaster coloured layout…..and the trains still run too!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

well, there's a video uploaded up on my Patreon page, as well as some nice pictures of the completed scenery

here is a link to the photos, freebies 😉

https://www.patreon.com/posts/little-scenery-93932258?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 1

Probably salt into the wound (of cost) for Australians, but Z-Gauge items come up relatively frequently in UK auctions. As always with auctions, condition/running order is untested, and hammer prices vary from bargains to pretty rich. The real reason for this post is that the items on auction have an appreciably greater range than currently available from Marklin. I've just acquired a Rheingold set (steam loco, 4 coaches, baggage wagon), and have been outbid on a model of the propeller-driven railcoach. The site I use (www.the-saleroom.com - others may be available, I haven't checked) allows you to filter on brand but not scale, and country-of-auction.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, DenysW said:

Probably salt into the wound (of cost) for Australians, but Z-Gauge items come up relatively frequently in UK auctions. As always with auctions, condition/running order is untested, and hammer prices vary from bargains to pretty rich. The real reason for this post is that the items on auction have an appreciably greater range than currently available from Marklin. I've just acquired a Rheingold set (steam loco, 4 coaches, baggage wagon), and have been outbid on a model of the propeller-driven railcoach. The site I use (www.the-saleroom.com - others may be available, I haven't checked) allows you to filter on brand but not scale, and country-of-auction.

Hattons seems to get it in in batches second hand, and you have a retailer to fall back on if it’s not as described too. They have quite a bit at the moment

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2023 at 23:49, 47606odin said:

Hattons seems to get it in in batches second hand, and you have a retailer to fall back on if it’s not as described too. They have quite a bit at the moment

Currently heavily discounted in a pre-Christmas sale for anyone looking.

Rails of Sheffield also have some Z on their eBay Pre-owned site, but with more of an American emphasis (note: while the category is listed as “American Z” to reflect this, European items are included).

(I can’t comment on overseas posting personally, but everything I’ve read across RMweb suggests Hattons especially ship to customers in Australia successfully on a regular basis).

Hope this helps, Keith.

23 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Currently heavily discounted in a pre-Christmas sale for anyone looking.

Rails of Sheffield also have some Z on their eBay Pre-owned site, but with more of an American emphasis (note: while the category is listed as “American Z” to reflect this, European items are included).

(I can’t comment on overseas posting personally, but everything I’ve read across RMweb suggests Hattons especially ship to customers in Australia successfully on a regular basis).

Hope this helps, Keith.

being in Australia, I can confirm

• Thanks 1