SR 8 Plank Wagons - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

LMS and GWR vans would be the way to go next in my view. Bachmann have a good range of newer tool LNER vans and the SR are well covered with the Rapido SECR van and the Bachmann plywood and 2+2 planked vans which still hold up quite well.

LMS vans in particular were very numerous. The ventilated D1832 totalled 3,450 and the unventilated version (D1663) totalled 1,600. That’s over 5,000 very similar vans that could be done with one tooling suite. 

For the GWR, you’ve got to go with a classic Mica Mink van. Probably a 10ft wb diagram like a V23 (handbrakes) and V24 (vacuum braked), which were very numerous.

Bachmann has also done even-planked fitted SR vans, but nobody has (yet) done any of the 9' variants.

Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby have all done various GWR Minks/Mogos/Fruit vans but all have inherited excessive width from previous incarnations under other brands.  

I think manufacturers have fought shy of LMS vans simply because the LMS kept playing about with the bodywork. Almost every new order seemed to be different from the one before. Which do you pick?

Hopefully that will change soon. 

John

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

the goods wagon stock changed radically over the 1950s.

When you get to the retrofitting of vacuum brakes on stock by BR as part of the modernisation plan you can even pin things down to approximate individual years by the types of buffer replaced*.  The change appears to be roughly annually from late 1955 to late 1959, with Spindle with collar, longer spindle, self-contained and the hydraulic/pneumatics.

From a modelling perspective (and to stay on-topic, assuming retrofitting of a 10ft wb wagon), it means that for late 1955, you'll have no refitted wagons, late 1956 any refits would have spindles with collars, late 1957 1ft8" replacements, 1958 might have a few with self-contained buffers and then by 1959, Dowty/Oleos.

For me, it can really help 'sell' a year modelled in the late 1950s, with just the one relatively small detail.

*(details in Wagons of the Middle British Railways Era by David Larkin pg14 & 54)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 41516 said:

When you get to the retrofitting of vacuum brakes on stock by BR as part of the modernisation plan you can even pin things down to approximate individual years by the types of buffer replaced*.  The change appears to be roughly annually from late 1955 to late 1959, with Spindle with collar, longer spindle, self-contained and the hydraulic/pneumatics.

From a modelling perspective (and to stay on-topic, assuming retrofitting of a 10ft wb wagon), it means that for late 1955, you'll have no refitted wagons, late 1956 any refits would have spindles with collars, late 1957 1ft8" replacements, 1958 might have a few with self-contained buffers and then by 1959, Dowty/Oleos.

For me, it can really help 'sell' a year modelled in the late 1950s, with just the one relatively small detail.

*(details in Wagons of the Middle British Railways Era by David Larkin pg14 & 54)

Generally true, but I understand that not all wagon works switched buffer types at the same time. Some were still fitting collars when others had moved onto new longer spindle buffers and the latter continued to be fitted after Oleos/Dowtys were being used elsewhere.

In particular, photographic evidence suggests the self-contained type to have been relatively rare, suggesting that some works may have skipped them altogether.

The rate of change varied not only from using up stocks of the previous type, but how long it took before production of the next ones would match total demand.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes, it's very much a generalisation, but the idea is for a model set in 1957, you shouldn't have anything retrofitted with Oleos, for example.

Observe your prototype is always the best guide!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby have all done various GWR Minks/Mogos/Fruit vans but all have inherited excessive width from previous incarnations under other brands.  

The Bachmann Mogo is also longer than it should be.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29/11/2022 at 18:11, County of Yorkshire said:

The ventilated D1832 totalled 3,450 and the unventilated version (D1663) totalled 1,600. That’s over 5,000 very similar vans that could be done with one tooling suite. 

One tooling suite is a bit of a stretch. The bodies would require separate tooling so while admittedly there is saving on the underframe it wouldn't be absolute. The underframes are actually slightly different in terms of some details too which might deter a manufacturer concerned about making them 100% right.

Edited by Aire Head
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have some pages torn from an old edition of MRC with plans of what to my inexperienced eyes are similar to these. One of the photos accompanying the article is of 36639, which is described as a 9' wheelbase but fitted for the continent with vacuum pipes, air piped and extra safety chains. Will an example like this feature in a future run, please?

Thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2023 at 20:34, rapidoandy said:

They are just about ready for collection from the factory so will be our next release!

They are imminent according to the Rail's news page today.😉

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I have spoken to my credit card in soothing tones, as I gather the Accurascale Siphons are getting fairly handy, too.😃

I think stuff will be coming thick and fast from several manufacturers over the next few months.

• Agree 1