SR 8 Plank Wagons - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

In stock at some retailers.

940016.jpg.c97932f36ad05574720cc765ce6ca0eb.jpg

Home from my holiday and my Hatton's trunk has been evacuated as one of my first tasks.

Two Siphons, two brake vans and four 8-planks, the thick end of three hundred quid and nary a motor between them!

No complaint over the cost from me, though, I can hardly keep my anticipation under control...

John

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Home from my holiday and my Hatton's trunk has been evacuated as one of my first tasks.

Well, my Hattons trunk has just acquired a diag D1379 in BR grey. But I won't be evacuting it yet as I have five more items waiting to enter it, and I'll leave it until it also contains at least a couple of the other the single wagons I've got on order (Dapol and Rapido) or the Titfield Thunderbolt train pack, whichever comes first. I'll also try to time the release for when I can be at home to take delivery while my wife is out 🙂

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I received 3 of the new Rapido 8 planks yesterday. First up is 30004 which is preserved on the Bluebell railway. And what better way than to have her running behind Bluebell with other Rapido wagons that are based on preserved prototypes (SECR 7 plank, 2 plank, van and 6w brake van).

SR8_01.jpg

SR8_02.jpg

SR8_03.jpg

SR8_04.jpg

SR8_05.jpg

• Like 10

The other two 8 planks were BR ones. Again a batch of photos showing these by themselves and on a BR train where the only item that is not Rapido is the loco, an O1....

All other wagons being former SECR stock made by Rapido.

These 2 8-Planks show differences between the 9'6 and 10' wheelbases of the respective prototypes.

Over the past few years, I have been gradually replacing old Mainline and Airfix mineral wagons with new stock (admittedly the old ones act as a reserve just in case I want to do a really big train... but I digress), and the Rapido ones allow me to add a more southern feel to that train.

SR8_06.jpg

SR8_07.jpg

SR8_08.jpg

SR8_09.jpg

SR8_10.jpg

SR8_11.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to Rapido for making these vehicles - they look very good and run even better!

They feel as though they are sturdy enough to withstand the occasional accidental drop or knock but still retain very good detail.

I have four examples in a mix of diagrams and running numbers.

Brian

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 22/06/2023 at 14:44, gwrrob said:

A review of these by @AY Mod will be in the August BRM issue. Meanwhile my two post war versions have been weathered by @toboldlygo

31364Rapido8plank.jpg.34f8480ff3c97f67e91cdfb2d7f306e5.jpg

36359Rapido8plank.jpg.a11c3c4b27d9f5f0f77df7001fc03ec6.jpg

Following a discussion with @BenL a fellow post war modeller , 31364 has now been upgraded to 13T.

31364altered.jpg.eaf2fe782a090d7f3152f3b61f3f37e9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Any suggestions, again, on suitable loads other than coal for these wagons .

General merchandise, sheeted. Hay or straw, sheeted. Timber - sawn or planed boards - sticking out over the end but again, sheeted. You want to get some suitable sheets! (They were common user, so they don't need to be SECR / SR ones.)

Bricks, not sheeted, but not loaded anywhere near to the top, owing to the density of the load.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

General merchandise, sheeted. Hay or straw, sheeted. Timber - sawn or planed boards - sticking out over the end but again, sheeted. You want to get some suitable sheets! (They were common user, so they don't need to be SECR / SR ones.)

Bricks, not sheeted, but not loaded anywhere near to the top, owing to the density of the load.

Same goes for coal; although the stuff did vary in density, I'll not be making the load for the one I'm adding to my coal rake any higher than the top of the drop-flap.

These wagons were of considerably larger internal volume than a 16t steel mineral, but only of 12/13t carrying capacity.

John

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Cable drums, liquids (various) in barrels or steel drums (or empty, either new or for refilling) empty barrels sometimes being loaded differently from full ones).

Anything you can imagine (and a few things you might not) in boxes, crates or sheeted over. 

Stuff in sacks, usually sheeted, but very occasionally not if the contents were not vulnerable to weather damage or pilfering.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally, if anyone's wondering what's happening in the above photo, the beets are being unloaded by means of water poured into the wagon from above, which then flows out of the open side door and into a channel alongside the track, carrying the beets with it. Sugar beets float, so this was a quick and simple means of getting them from the wagon into the factory.

The photo was taken at the then state-of-the-art BSC sugar factory at Cantley, Norfolk. The factory is alongside the River Yare, so there was a ready supply of water for the beet-washers (and the other main source of inbound beet would have been by barge).

There are three wagons visible in the photo. The nearest, with "N E" markings, is yet to be unloaded. The centre wagon, marked "L _ S" (presumably LMS) is being unloaded, and then beyond it is a now empty wagon, on which only a single letter R is visible, albeit very faded. So you've got three out of four of the Big Four represented in a single photo taken in the northeast corner of East Anglia - a very good visual illustration of the effects of the common pool.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6