Network Rail Strike Map(!)

Boris

So this is the official Network Rail map of lines open and lines closed during the strikes next week.  Blue is open, red is closed.

Now, look closely, how many heritage railways can you see outlined in red!!!!!

s1.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Boris said:

So this is the official Network Rail map of lines open and lines closed during the strikes next week.  Blue is open, red is closed.

s1.jpg

Typical network rail not going into proper detail with things 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RailroadRich said:

Still not good enough,  got wenslydale and  weardale on it and show Leamside and raisby Hill lines which are long gone and that's just a quick glance  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, StephenB said:

The strike is scheduled for 21/23/25 June. Does the map apply for 22/24 June?

Stephen

It depends. The strikes cover shifts starting within the 24 hour period, so affects night shifts running into the next day, which will have a huge impact on maintenance depots which are busiest overnight. Even if all the guards, signallers and station staff are back at 06.00 on 22nd, any units which have not been fuelled and serviced overnight won't be running. The impact of that will get worse through the week as each successive strike creates more displacement. 

Individual TOCs have emergency timetables for the 22/24/26 based on what they think they can guarantee to have available, which isn't necessarily as much as you think, hence the 'Do Not Travel' advice from some covering the whole week.    

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, russ p said:

Still not good enough,  got wenslydale and  weardale on it and show Leamside and raisby Hill lines which are long gone and that's just a quick glance  

Err, it looks like every preserved railway in the country is on it.  Doesn't surprise me at all if this comes from a national newspaper.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Err, it looks like every preserved railway in the country is on it.  Doesn't surprise me at all if this comes from a national newspaper.

It's supposed to be network rail issued 

I'm absolutely seething that the Lincolnshire wolds railway and the derwent Valley railways are on strike! 

• Funny 5

15 hours ago, russ p said:

It's supposed to be network rail issued 

I'm absolutely seething that the Lincolnshire wolds railway and the derwent Valley railways are on strike! 

I know a couple of chaps involved in the Lincolnshire Wolds Rly, and I think they deserve a pay rise!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 16/06/2022 at 21:53, Boris said:

s1.jpg

Perhaps amusing to see Network Rail mess up, however not funny if the private heritage lines shown loose custom when they are open on Saturday because NR map shows them closed.  Perhaps NR need to think a bit harder about what they put out.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

At least one of those heritage railways holds its line on a 99 year lease from Network Rail. I've no idea about the others and I've no intention of finding out, but if Network Rail has any sort of residual responsibility for a route, even if it's only for maintenance of certain structures, then it will appear on Network Rail asset maps. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

It's occurred to me that the "blue" map is remarkably close to the map of the BR network, had the Serpell report's recommendations  been implemented.

Yes Serpell report has been dusted off ready for the rural rail review for leveling up to ground zero... With the idealised loss of 2500 track workers if main lines are to be kept safe - even with advanced MARPLAN techniques then closing rural passenger only lines in England will be a possible get of jail card with moving remaining staff to keep mainlines open without crippling speed restrictions,  Wales  and Scotland have differing funding machines so unless pressure from the Department of fuffy thinking is applied Kyle and Cambrian might survive. Could well be good night to rural Norfolk, Lincolnshire , Devon, Cornwall and Parts of Middle England..

Robert    

• RMweb Gold

As a less than humorous aside I wonder who the private railways adversely affected by this disinformation should contact -well perhaps their favourite pro bono QC friend should contact for compo after loss of revenue. I would have thought going to the top would be a good place to start  somebody like Sir Peter Hendy would seem to tick a few boxes.

https://www.google.com/url?esrc=s&q=&rct=j&sa=U&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hendy&ved=2ahUKEwj0sdeowL_4AhUYt4QIHYqCBV0QFnoECAMQAg&usg=AOvVaw1xLFbWvi0fwV6-JV_R5l9l.

Robert 

• Like 1