BR(S) Central Section Signalling Semaphore to CLS and centralised signalling - timelines?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what point semaphore signalling (ideally) or local colour light signalling and local control was still extant for provincial stations and secondary routes in the central section of BR(S) -  I'm thinking of places like Littlehampton, Eastbourne, Uckfield, East Grinstead, etc. rather than the BML.

More specifically I'm trying to figure out if I can justify a signal box, lever frame and ideally semaphores for a medium-sized station set in the Sussex weald around the late 70's to mid 1980's. I'm not fussed about 100% accuracy around dates, but if it was all cleared out by 1955 then it'll be too much of a stretch!

Thank you

Edited by Lacathedrale

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Lacathedrale said:

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what point semaphore signalling (ideally) or local colour lishgt signalling was still extant for provincial stations and secondary routes in the central section of BR(S) -  I'm thinking of places like Littlehampton, Eastbourne, Uckfield, East Grinstead, etc. rather than the BML.

More specifically I'm trying to figure out if I can justify a signal box, lever frame and ideally semaphores for a medium-sized station set in the Sussex weald around the late 70's to mid 1980's. I'm not fussed about 100% accuracy around dates, but if it was all cleared out by 1955 then it'll be too much of a stretch!

Thank you

Yes, you can.  Others will be able to provide accurate dates, but, for example, Eastbourne's semaphores were removed only in the early 1990's, I think.  Don't forget those glorious strings of telegraph wires that were such a joy to watch from the train, when I was a child, rushing along the 'Coastway West' route in the 1970's and early '80's...

Edited by C126
Can not spell "semaphores".
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Portslade - Angmering resignalling was authorised in 1984, I think, while Chichester - Havant was about 1987. ISTR I had heard through NSE HQ that the latter had passed BRB Investment Committee, and bumped into GM Gordon Pettit in the corridor and told him the glad news within the hour.

Plenty of scope for semaphore etc operations until at least 1990.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, 4069 said:

And of course Littlehampton and Bognor Regis are  still semaphore.

For now….

(says the person that’s just finished the design for converting Littlehampton to colour lights!) :)

Simon 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Semaphores were removed from the Arun Valley (Billingshurst to Amberley inclusive) with the boxes at Billingshurst, Pulborough and Amberley (only open on specific times where the traffic required it) abolished about 2015 if I recall correctly.

Pulborough box is still in situ, Billingshurst was relocated to the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum not long after closure and Amberley box itself, a knee frame on the station platform is still sealed off to this day.  Christ's Hospital lost its box when some passing loony set light to it some years earlier.

Semaphores only exist now at Bognor Regis (1930's art deco type signal box, slightly shortened at the station end when an ECS decided to wander out of the sidings one morning whilst its driver was in the mess room filling his flask) and Littlehampton but they should be gone soon.

I for one will be glad to see the back of the disc shunting signals at Littlehampton, trying to see the damm things from half way down the platform in the dead of night whilst the rain is hammering down is a right PITA as I found out the other night...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Kubes said:

No!!!!!!!!!

Yes!!!

[Says the guy who has to drive via the ruddy things at night when they are barely visible.]

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be and at the end of the day it is a working modern railway, not a heritage line.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1