Hornby Toby The Tram Engine Wheel Diameter

I always assumed they were the same 16mm non see through disc with plastic spoke inserts  as Smokey Joe at 16mm dia the same as "Polly/Nellie and the Dock shunter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, DCB said:

I always assumed they were the same 16mm non see through disc with plastic spoke inserts  as Smokey Joe at 16mm dia the same as "Polly/Nellie and the Dock shunter.

Well I had thought the same as you DCB but I have read that Toby utilised a unique chassis that was probably from the Hornby Continental range. Many thanks to sawyermodels, I appreciate your help.

Geoff

Its a nice chassis. It runs well because it has two stage gearing and the worm drive side thrust is taken on the layshaft, instead of forcing a driven axle sideways.  I would like a few but they are a bit pricy for my ultra low budget operation.  The chassis would be great under a "Nellie" and the body would make a nice lineside shed.    However Those wheels are truly horrible. Triang phased out non see through in the early 60s only for Airfix to bring them back in the 70s and Hornby in the 80s (?) with the Caley Pug,  smoky Joe. I have ruined many of them trying to cut away the disc behind the spokes, I lack the patience only having at most one lifetime,    I have a cunning plan to fit Romford 16mm tyres if I can find some Romford 16mm wheels.   Why not fit Romford wheels Per se?  you ask. 1) Because I'm David Not Percy,   and 2) I suspect a different axle diameter might make fixing the drive gear difficult.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your replies especially sawyermodels for taking the time to photograph the chassis. It is a lovely chassis and, as commented by DCB, has reduction gearing to get better slow speed running. Alas it is not what I am after, I require 14mm spoked drivers for an old Playcraft North British 0-4-0 diesel hydraulic shunter I am , ahem, "improving". I have a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis for it but need the smaller wheels. I know Romford do them but this was meant to be a budget project so it looks like I will have to locate an old Mainline 03 chassis/wheels from somewhere, and my next question......"anyone out there with some Mainline 03 wheelsets I could purchase?"

Geoff

Mainline 03 chassis are split chassis/ split axle  with a wheel and stub axle cast as a single piece which fit a plastic axle muff.

I believe the Bachmann ones are the same but with a square axle which can't slip round instead of a round one which does slip.

Basically they are only of use for split chassis, I did try to drill one or two out to fit to straight axles with plastic bushes but there was not enough "Meat," in the wheel seat to make it work.  I had a Bachmann 03 which burned out its motor so I bought a very cheap mainline chassis and fitted pickups from the chassis halves to the backs of the rear wheels and it has run relentlessly for the last ten/ fifteen / twenty years.   

Triang TT Jinty wheels might be worth a look

• Informative/Useful 1

Many thanks for the info DCB, I will have a look at the Triang TT Jinty wheels but I suspect they will be rather course and solid. I may end up using the 0-4-0 16mm wheels but with the flanges ground down a little.

Geoff

Tri-ang TT driving wheels  have 1/8" axles and are normally solid*. See-through spokes did appear in the range, but not long before they ceased production. The wheel standards are something between Hornby Dublo and BRMSB. Mine are packed away at the moment, so I can't check....

* and made of zinc alloy!  IIRC the Jinty chassis is 24mm + 24mm with 14mm diam. wheels.

Thanks # Il Grifone     That rings a bell.  IIRC the treads are as you say between 00 gauge Hornby Dublo and BRMSB,  and much finer than 1970s 00 "Triang-Hornby."  My TT Jinty chassis came with a job lot of 00.  They have single start worms and take 1/8" axles on a 24 +24mm  Wheelbase.  which is 6ft + 6ft in 00.

On 03/06/2022 at 13:49, exet1095 said:

It’s the same chassis as Hornby uses on the ex-Dapol Austerity tank engine.

Paul

Does the Austerity have the same non see through wheels?