Ffarquhar planning!

Hi all,

started this thread under micro layouts originally however I think this thread may be a better outlet. 

To summarise;

I am creating a layout akin to that of Ffarquhar Mk. II created by the Rev. W. Awdry. The catch is that this will not be exhibition style like the original, as well as being shrunk to 5ft in length (including fiddle yard) as opposed to the originals 6ft with back fiddle yard. 

See digital plans for the original here:

3C1ED2D3-E2E8-4BFC-B312-9D2BE33DA926.jpeg.2eb3572e83da1445683df47bb37108d1.jpeg

My revision would be as such:

C5DB3E9B-E0C7-47AC-AF1B-1DFAC9F75694.jpeg.c42da91c802c056af5540f0cbfe6719b.jpeg

Not 100% to scale however it does get the job done for ideas…

Each square is about 1ft x 1ft. Upper section is 1ft x 9 in. (Cut of wood I have to use is 5ft 5inch x 1ft 9inch) The fiddle yard will allow for cartridges of about 13 in. Scraped the behind exhibition style as it doesn’t work with the space. Hence a cutaway to allow easier access to those elements is the best option. I think 13in should be fine for light branchline traffic. I believe the curved platform would allow for some more operational wiggle room as well.

As a beginner I’m looking for any thoughts or comments.

Thanks! 

Edited by splodgestudios
typo

Is this 00?    13" will barely take a GWR 14XX and Auto coach.    Engine and two coaches is usually 22" plus.  
Its just not enough space.   The scenic is tight but you need an extra 10" of the FY

I would use a sector plate feeding hidden sidings behind the layout as per Rev W Awdrey,  But you could get a nice N gauge layout in that space....

1 minute ago, DCB said:

Is this 00?    13" will barely take a GWR 14XX and Auto coach.    Engine and two coaches is usually 22" plus.  
Its just not enough space.   The scenic is tight but you need an extra 10" of the FY

I would use a sector plate feeding hidden sidings behind the layout as per Rev W Awdrey,  But you could get a nice N gauge layout in that space....

In retrospect I’ll definitely have to do some play with the fiddle yard. Sticking with OO as that’s most of collection and I’m not looking to switch at this point; although N comes with its benefits. 

I’ve considered a sector plate but I’m hesitant given that hidden sidings will eat up a lot of the scenic space I’m after. Perhaps 20” cartridges? 

• RMweb Premium

To extend the fiddle yard I would ditch the point at the left of the loop and replaced it with a 3 road sector plate. Disguise it with an overbridge. That way you might squeeze in a tank engine and coach. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyB said:

To extend the fiddle yard I would ditch the point at the left of the loop and replaced it with a 3 road sector plate. Disguise it with an overbridge. That way you might squeeze in a tank engine and coach. 

This is a pretty good idea, tried this plan allowing for 20in cartridges. Should allow for some more play in operation 

4E1D27F2-CA35-4EDF-900F-966CB45492AE.jpeg.593870d040ca3523499372eed4e5c212.jpeg

I’ll only be running short trains and a 1 car DMU so it should be alright 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, splodgestudios said:

This is a pretty good idea, tried this plan allowing for 20in cartridges. Should allow for some more play in operation 

4E1D27F2-CA35-4EDF-900F-966CB45492AE.jpeg.593870d040ca3523499372eed4e5c212.jpeg

I’ll only be running short trains and a 1 car DMU so it should be alright 

Reminiscent of a simple plan by Iain Rice.

Also worth taking a look at a 6' x 2' plan called Bayards Dock (Bob Haskins), where the sector plate handled the loop, a bay platform and 3 kick back sidings. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyB said:

Reminiscent of a simple plan by Iain Rice.

Also worth taking a look at a 6' x 2' plan called Bayards Dock (Bob Haskins), where the sector plate handled the loop, a bay platform and 3 kick back sidings. 

Haven't been able to find this online but that layout sounds impressive. And thank you Iain Rice is incredible