Hornby Tornado Buffers-Repair or Replace with Sprung Buffers? (Big Update with Instructions!)

Hey all, I recently picked up an older Hornby Tornado train pack with a missing front buffer. Unfortunately along with the buffer missing, there is a section of the buffer housing gone. I am wondering about repairing this, either by repairing the current buffer housing and replacing the static buffer, or by removing and replacing the buffers entirely as a project. 

If I wanted to repair the static buffer as-is, is there a material I can use to fill this section? What are some good red paints for buffer beams? 

Now if I wanted to replace the buffers entirely with sprung versions, I am thinking the X6301R B17 buffers could work well as a replacement. Has anyone taken on this before or know of any good suggestions for sprung buffers? Are there issues with the front bogie if I installed sprung front buffers? It may also stand out against the otherwise basic detail, are there other buffer beam details that would help improve the front if I am going to be chopping it up? 

Would appreciate any feedback. 

20220527_183826.jpg

s-l500.png

Edited by GernBlanstonShow
change title for large update

• 4 months later...
On 30/05/2022 at 16:18, GernBlanstonShow said:

Hey all, I recently picked up an older Hornby Tornado train pack with a missing front buffer. Unfortunately along with the buffer missing, there is a section of the buffer housing gone. I am wondering about repairing this, either by repairing the current buffer housing and replacing the static buffer, or by removing and replacing the buffers entirely as a project. 

If I wanted to repair the static buffer as-is, is there a material I can use to fill this section? What are some good red paints for buffer beams? 

Now if I wanted to replace the buffers entirely with sprung versions, I am thinking the X6301R B17 buffers could work well as a replacement. Has anyone taken on this before or know of any good suggestions for sprung buffers? Are there issues with the front bogie if I installed sprung front buffers? It may also stand out against the otherwise basic detail, are there other buffer beam details that would help improve the front if I am going to be chopping it up? 

Would appreciate any feedback. 

20220527_183826.jpg

s-l500.png

I've not done this with a tornado. But on an older Bachmann V2. It worked out quite well. I see no reason that it shouldn't work on the A1. Good luck

Edited by davidw

• 2 weeks later...

Alright folks, got the B17 buffers in and have begun the job. I'll do a photo dump and description when I'm finished but in the meantime there are some nice updates!

Hornby B17 Buffers X6301R work well as an upgrade for a Tornado's static front buffers. They have very close dimensions to the static buffers.

I also would highly recommend AC Models Spares for your parts. Their shipping to the United States was very reasonable and Megan has been very helpful.

More soon...

Job's done, and turned out very well! The goal was replace the buffers with the B17 buffers, but I also wanted to keep the bufferbeam paint intact, making it a bit of a risky job. The B17 buffers have a square mounting on the back so the plan is to trim back the old buffer housings and make square openings in the bufferbeam centered where the static buffers were.

The first step was removing the other buffer to gain access to the buffer shaft holes in the housing. These holes make excellent, precisely centered pilot holes to drill into to open up the back of the bufferbeam to allow the sprung movement. I picked a drill bit size that was about the same as the shaft of the buffer but you can do a bit larger than that if you're brave or in a rush.

After that was our date with Mr. Dremel, I used a very soft, non-aggresive fibrous bit, definitely use that or a very high # grit sanding bit. Knock back the old buffers slowly. Once you get close to the bufferbeam, diligently tape the square edges of where the static buffer housing meets the bufferbeam. I used a fine Tamiya tape I got from my local shop.

This is where I then switched to using files, I used a set of 100mm files. At this point only use square surfaces of the files to do two things: file down the housing to as close as you dare to the bufferbeam, and make square openings from the pilot holes you drilled. Filing down the housing is simple enough, the challenge is using a square file surface to enlarge the holes in a square shape as parallel as you can to the edges of the static housing, you'll see I didn't get this 100% the first time on the left bufferbeam, it is ever-so-slightly crooked but still well-fit.

After test-fitting the buffers and touching up any marks on the underside of the body with black paint, I applied modeling glue to two corners of the square openings and installed the buffers, adding another spot of glue to the back of the buffers for a solid fit, but I still think it's light enough glue application to where the buffers will pop off cleanly, complete and intact in case of damage.

As I said I didn't get the left buffer 100% square but I am still very satisfied with the result. The job went nearly exactly as planned. I am pretty sure if any of you saw this model for the first time you would think the buffers were original to the loco, and that was a goal of mine in doing this. I would highly recommend this upgrade to any Hornby Tornado owners with damaged buffers as long as the B17 buffers are available! 

20221101_144210.jpg.31188d294f4706a46ddd5333ce6c4232.jpg20221101_144245.jpg.61ce7711b5d63eb3cb4c4824eae13ab2.jpg20221101_144259.jpg.29804ef45448a03c7607e2d202b6c142.jpg20221102_151824.jpg.bcad1c30f5462ded356b115170b0d207.jpg20221101_155259.jpg.dfe0686101182a690ea36b7555b0adaf.jpg20221102_150125.jpg.0424ff9a96b8329d7a2e51c86f3a89ec.jpg20221102_151313.jpg.bc285d9a49e08401477732ccd43f1e53.jpg20221102_151333.jpg.6cff34f2391d9cff7a2f220e2aab09f7.jpg

A very effective fix. I've wondered how 'easy' it would be to convert a Hornby A1 Tornado would be to an original build. I don't think there'd be many changes. Th biggest would be the tender mods.

• GernBlanstonShow changed the title to Hornby Tornado Buffers-Repair or Replace with Sprung Buffers? (Big Update with Instructions!)