Flocked Off! The North Eastern splinter group of the Ovine Popular Front !.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see Sheep Lane still giving sterling service, Mike. 

Must be getting on for eight years since I first stumbled across that shelf ! 

Rob

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Lovely to see Sheep Lane still giving sterling service, Mike. 

Must be getting on for eight years since I first stumbled across that shelf ! 

Rob

Still going strong Rob, a tribute to your initial vision and skills. Hopefully going further afield next year, it is always set up in my workshop at home ready for an session of de-stressing shunting.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2023 at 11:24, durham light infantry said:

(Sheep Lane)

Still going strong Rob, a tribute to your initial vision and skills. Hopefully going further afield next year, it is always set up in my workshop at home ready for an session of de-stressing shunting.

Mike

Morning Mike, 

Thank you. That's exactly what Sheep Lane was designed (?!) for. Great to sit down with after work and lose yourself in for a little while. 

11 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Mutton is loaded in the car, ready for a 7am departure tomorrow for Thirsk show. Hope to see some of the sheep collective at this excellent 1 day show.

And it's great to hear that Mutton is off out and about. 

Have a lovely day at Thirsk. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Mike, 

Thank you. That's exactly what Sheep Lane was designed (?!) for. Great to sit down with after work and lose yourself in for a little while. 

And it's great to hear that Mutton is off out and about. 

Have a lovely day at Thirsk. 

Rob

And of course it being Thirsk there's always a vet nearby for any sheepy ailments. 🐏🐑

• Funny 5

Good news for the Ovine collective, the Sheep layouts are appearing at exhibitions further south. Sheep Lane is a late addition to a 1 day show at Harrogate on August Bank Holiday Monday. Even better Sheep Lane will be at the always excellent Normanton & Pontefract show on 27th/28th January 2024, followed by Mutton in 2026 at the same show.

IMG20230803114957.jpg.a0ff4371584d3aebc92546ab85bffb1e.jpg

IMG20230803151828.jpg.38a508afdd9df208de687998a80d1d31.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

A very definite senior moment today at Harrogate. Layout with all the accessories and stock, loaded in the car last night for an early bed time. 7am departure for a bang on arrival at the hall 8.15, car unloaded and layout set up in 20 minutes. Last thing transformer out of box, no controller ...

A seemingly nonchalant browse of the trade stands followed. Surely someone must have a controller. Finally on the club stand a Triang P5 controller older than me but with a new mains cable £10, no plug...  A further nonchalant stroll back to the layout to scope out the electrical items that I had brought with me. All with moulded plugs, apart from the 4-way. Result, and I did have electrical screwdrivers in the toolbox.

10 minutes later and I had power to the tracks. Downside my Kernow and EFE Beattie Well tanks were uncontrollable, and the Bachmann USA and Heljan 07 like jack rabbits. The Dapol B4 was the best of the bunch but still needed taming. 

I had an idea! Use the USA and 07 like a load bank, so they were chocked against the end of the fiddle yard with blutac.

IMG20230828145106.jpg.b012259b3f842b5416a001084f94bd90.jpg

IMG20230828144226.jpg.d7f4cf14cc922ebdd2d6ea37f6ddb3f4.jpg

IMG20230828145115.jpg.6a1c92715f3542b282a1f39f037436c9.jpg

I will definitely remember the transformer and controller in future, and probably aquire a spare to be packed seperately in with the layout bolts and curtain.

• Friendly/supportive 9

And it was jolly good to meet you too, much was discussed, some of it even relevant to railways and I shall be putting your weathering advice to use in the very near future.

Actually seeing Sheep Lane in the wool has surprised me. I knew it was small, but I didn't realise how small, yet there's so much to take in and so much operating potential.

I have a follow up project for Aston already on the drawing board and I'm already thinking it could easily be smaller. I won't know until I get the bench of bodge cleared to shuffle a bit of track around.

Kudos also for the canvas tilt on the BR lorry, duly noted for when I can find my RAF Austin Utility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

A very definite senior moment today at Harrogate. Layout with all the accessories and stock, loaded in the car last night for an early bed time. 7am departure for a bang on arrival at the hall 8.15, car unloaded and layout set up in 20 minutes. Last thing transformer out of box, no controller ...

A seemingly nonchalant browse of the trade stands followed. Surely someone must have a controller. Finally on the club stand a Triang P5 controller older than me but with a new mains cable £10, no plug...  A further nonchalant stroll back to the layout to scope out the electrical items that I had brought with me. All with moulded plugs, apart from the 4-way. Result, and I did have electrical screwdrivers in the toolbox.

10 minutes later and I had power to the tracks. Downside my Kernow and EFE Beattie Well tanks were uncontrollable, and the Bachmann USA and Heljan 07 like jack rabbits. The Dapol B4 was the best of the bunch but still needed taming. 

I had an idea! Use the USA and 07 like a load bank, so they were chocked against the end of the fiddle yard with blutac.

IMG20230828145106.jpg.b012259b3f842b5416a001084f94bd90.jpg

IMG20230828144226.jpg.d7f4cf14cc922ebdd2d6ea37f6ddb3f4.jpg

IMG20230828145115.jpg.6a1c92715f3542b282a1f39f037436c9.jpg

I will definitely remember the transformer and controller in future, and probably aquire a spare to be packed seperately in with the layout bolts and curtain.

I think we've all been there. I certainly have - the first job after I got home was to make a list...

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think we've all been there. I certainly have - the first job after I got home was to make a list...

I have a list. Actually I have 2, 1 for layouts and 1 for demonstrations. I was trying to be clever and pack all the electrics into a new smaller box, instead of the aluminium flight case I normally use. Trying to cut down on the number of items to carry.

Back to the flight case...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Mike, 

I have a wooden box that I leave the essentials in. 

Easily done though and you have my utmost sympathy. I pack everything then find myself rechecking everything at least three times...... and still ponder when driving to the show.......

Rob

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Mike, 

I have a wooden box that I leave the essentials in. 

Easily done though and you have my utmost sympathy. I pack everything then find myself rechecking everything at least three times...... and still ponder when driving to the show.......

Rob

I used to go through the same self doubt whenever I went camping. 

I used to try taking the bare minimum, being on a bike, it seldom worked out! 😆

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a reminder that Sheep Lane will be at the always excellent Pontefract show this weekend  27th/ 28th. Rm webbers always welcome. I will be assisted by my good friend Martin Jones, provided I can deter him away from bargain hunting. A good weekend and a proper jolly boys outing playing trains.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, I saw the back of the t-shirt and a static Sheep Lane this afternoon .... not your fault I hasten to say, all my own doing as firstly I managed to get myself caught up in the Elland Road football traffic, was still in the exhibition before 2.30, spent a reasonable time looking at one of my favourite N gauge layouts, Sandy Bay, before heading down to the 'main' hall where I spent far too long talking to people than looking at the layouts ... it had got to nearly closing time when I realised what the time was and rushed over to take a peak .... at 5 to 5 I finally got to you as you were discussing and setting up for the morning's restart with a fellow operator so I contented myself to having a quick peak over your shoulder, all looked very interesting although the layout looked a tad smaller than I was expecting, which is not a bad thing.

There's an outside chance that I may come back tomorrow but otherwise I may just have to wait until a later date to satisfy my 'sheepish' curiosity regarding operation. There were 2 or 3 other layouts that also caught my eye within the vicinity of yours which I wished that I'd seen so maybe I'll just have to bite the financial bullet and drive back over, though I managed also to mess up my return journey home in trying to avoid getting caught back up in the now exiting footie traffic .... I hate to think how many unnecessary miles and petrol I used up by mistaking a turn off on the A1/M link road, so missed it and then making further errors trying to get back on course by a different route !

Anyway I hope that you had a good day, the layout looked good along with the sheep mascots, I hope that it and them behaved themselves.

Best wishes,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Correction.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1