Alternative magnetic couplings with new Hornby Maunsell diners

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Only problem is 'bellows' look totally wrong on Maunsell coaches (plus Greasley, Pullman and BR MK1 stock for that matter) as the side view of the 'pullman type' gangway simply doesn't have lots of folds in it (as opposed to the 'British standard' type favoured by the GWR / LMS / pre-grouping companies) .

As such to achieve a realistic look you need to ensure your couplings bring the Pullman type gangways so the rub up against each other rather than fill the gap with paper!

The genuine Roco couplers do this very nicely with Hornby's Maunsell stock - Any new fangled magnetic coupling needs to be able to so the same or otherwise it will be just as useless as the Hornby produced 'Roco clone' coupler

Don't care mate. Close the gap and I like that. Couldn't give a toss to be quite honest about it.

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

Here is what is being supplied in the new Hornby 3rd class dinning saloon.

They differ from the hunt couplings as the magnet are about 5mm lower than the plane of the NEM socket.coupling.jpeg.57e30e60ed6ef9b157f94218d69b587b.jpeg

Thanks Tony for the pic to explain things

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ELTEL said:

I am just in the process of fitting the Wells Wagon Works close couplings on to my Maunsell  coaches for use on my layout Camel Quay.

I think/hope you mean West Hill Wagon Works i.e. the Hunt couplings that have been referred to elsewhere in this thread.  When I first read your post I thought for a moment that someone had come up with yet another coupling that was incompatible with everyone else's - just what we need!

• Funny 1

• 7 months later...

These cannot be patented as they are not broadly original. I produced magnetic couplings some years ago using Bachmann combined NEM coupling, cut in half with 3mm diam. magnet initially glued with Super Glue held I in position, then a short length of heat shrink tube to hold in place.

An article and photo appeared in the model press some years ago. I have a few seconds of  video which shows it but your site does not allow me to copy it. These have since been copied.

I have also produced invisible magnetic couplings for non fitted trucks. Again I cannot copy photos showing this. Should there be interest contact me at akeithmurdoch@gmail.com

Keith

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Keith Murdoch said:

I have a few seconds of  video which shows it but your site does not allow me to copy it.

That sentence doesn't make sense but, no, video cannot be directly uploaded. Please upload to YouTube and paste the link here.

Which magazine (and issue date) published the article?

On 05/05/2022 at 09:31, Michael Hodgson said:

The last thing we need is further proliferation of different designs of couplings all incompatible with one another.

I refer my honourable colleagues to the minutes of the last convocation of the Elucidated Brethren of the Counted Rivet. A proposal to adopt "The One True Universal Coupling" was rejected by a vote of 665 to 1.

The Grand Master of the EBCR was heard to comment : "This is the thin end of the wedge. WTF are we going to be able to complain about if things like this are allowed?"

I can neither confirm nor deny whether brethren from Hornby, Peco, Bachmann were in attendance, or whether Bearer Shares in Hornby were seen to be changing hands.

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone having issues on long rakes with these new coupling?  The coupling seems to allow a modest amount of offset but to allow more swing the coupling seems to lower slightly on a cam and then swing back up and out.  They click going from opposite lock to opposite lock.  This seems to cause some problems going through 3rd/4th  radius reverse curves even with a 6” straight between them.  I do not recall this with the older Roco style coupling.

regards

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was just experimenting with a pair of the buckeye version.

They were working well between 2 Hornby Gresleys.

Pulling 9 coaches behind with no derailments, (on 34 inch minimum radius and no gradient).

Nice close coupling on the straight.

They also connected up fine to some Hunt coupling I have installed already, provided the Hornby coupling is used with the central pip on the down side.

I don't have the other Hornby kinds yet to know if that is the way up they are designed for. 

I also tried them in the Genesis coaches, and they seem too short for those on 34 inch radius, they don't look right for them anyway.

• 6 months later...

I've just fitted the 'magnetic' buckeyes to a Castle HST rake - with new power cars so all vehicles are fitted with CCM pockets. They really are rather splendid, the best 'plug and play' coupling solution I have found. They are a smidgen longer than the 'true' NEM362 couplers such as Roco but still commendably close whilst ensuring that reverse curves etc can be negotiated.PXL_20230923_161057876.jpg.ba1fab4864e0eea682ecbfe253afd95f.jpg

PXL_20230923_161107883.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

Just for comparison here is a pair of Mk3s coupled using Roco NEM362 couplers. The coaches need to be lifted slightly to ease the couplings to lock and the result is 100% corridor mating on the straights. They work round 3rd radius curves but the tolerances are a bit too tight to guarantee fault free operation over reverse curves (crossovers) etc. The effect is superb though!

PXL_20230923_160859904.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1