5'3" Broad Gauge Modellers

VRBroadgauge

• 2 weeks later...

Finally sorted out the worm for the VR T class 0-6-0. After the initial problems with the bore of the worm being too large for the 1.5mm shaft, I sourced a 1/16 piece of material and cut a new one  The worm had to be slightly broached out to accept said shaft as did the bearings in the gearbox. I popped out one of the bearings during this process and soldered it back in - backwards. It turns out that this was a happy accident. The worm is a much better fit in this configuration and I don’t need to install the agricultural washers that I made.
My mathematics are still working. The motor lines up with the shaft and the tender with the loco.
2mm finescale 10.5mm broad gauge VR prototype .

IMG_4896.jpeg.5fb0572b7d0fb939514c7450947ec7d8.jpeg

IMG_4897.jpeg.0b46bfed9fb42305a8a6643ab530c6ab.jpeg

IMG_4898.jpeg.1e79c31f392597c1c84bd05666c95d5d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

5 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

So why does an 0-6-0 diseasal shunter have a tender?  🤔

Jim

Cause it aint. If you look in the background you'll see the diseasel's chassis which is an Association class 11 kit...

The T class (Beyer Peacock 1874) is quite a bit shorter than the English Electric beastie.

I didn't think about what was in the background when I took the pic. You were'nt the first to point this out Jim.

I should've put the my agricultural body on it.

:)

Edited by VRBroadgauge
Old age...
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Little has happened in the 2mm world (moved house, sold a house, building a house c/w modeling room for impending Cudgewa). 
I managed to get a couple of 3DP bodies (U van and UB van) epoxied in place. 
Still a big fan of my tri-axled stock. IMG_5008.jpeg.1def549981b612a48010eb92fcd80e63.jpeg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

The 2024 2mm Supermeet is done and dusted. The attached photos of Wansbeck Road don’t do it justice. If you get a chance to see it at an exhibition make sure you have a good look. Superb modelling by Mick Simpson. Great foresight by Kev and Dave to save it from a bonfire and preserve it. 
It’s a bit cheeky to pose my VR rolling stock on it but that’s how we roll in oz. 
A big thanks to Phil Badger for hosting and to Steve Curry for his talk and display of his scratch built (N scale) locomotives. 
See you all next year - hopefully in Yackandandah.

IMG_5033.jpeg.7bfb441a969f9a3f8849984d6c465861.jpeg

IMG_5035.jpeg.dfb3b54df17efea74539936bf4afcbf1.jpeg

IMG_5034.jpeg.2c402a45154f90f0e39ef755e29b992a.jpeg

IMG_5031.jpeg

• Like 9

A holiday at the coast. I managed to sneak a box of 2mm M wagons into the back of the car. I soldered one chassis (10’6”) together but because I forgot to pack the hold and fold I wasn’t entirely happy with the result. I’ve spent my time preparing about 20 chassis broaching out the many holes and cleaning out the appropriate slots. The etches are my own work as you can see in the photos. 
2mm Finescale 10.5mm broad gauge VR prototype

IMG_5055.jpeg.b81b3f6ae9332e5ae4afb48595464933.jpeg

IMG_5056.jpeg.1b5f876d060c56a7a49d759ae6fb4726.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

At the recent Australian Supermeet I was surprised to receive a lathe (!) on a long term loan (Mikey said the if he out lives me he’d like it back). Challenge accepted. 
I’d always intended to have turned funnels and domes on my locomotive fleet. I may now even have a crack at splashers and air pumps ala Tim Watson. 
Thanks Mike. Our 2mm family is all kinds of awesome. 

IMG_5037.jpeg.379c2730df2de02d1b2b6f6352c271ce.jpeg 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, VRBroadgauge said:

At the recent Australian Supermeet I was surprised to receive a lathe (!) on a long term loan (Mikey said the if he out lives me he’d like it back). Challenge accepted. 
I’d always intended to have turned funnels and domes on my locomotive fleet. I may now even have a crack at splashers and air pumps ala Tim Watson. 
Thanks Mike. Our 2mm family is all kinds of awesome. 

IMG_5037.jpeg.379c2730df2de02d1b2b6f6352c271ce.jpeg 

That looks like one of the little early Unimat lathes. An excellent machine and perfect for 2mm work.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

The National N Scale Convention was held over the weekend. Three 2mm Association Members attended and flew the flag.

I entered three 2mm broad gauge wagons in the Rolling Stock modelling Contest (more to show what the 2mm Association is about).

I won - well WE won.

Much thanks to Kevin Knight and Steve Bigelow who were more than involved in this process.

I just goes to show that what we're doing is awesome. If we can win a national competition with a Victorian Railways wagon with Mick Simpson's name on the side then the sky's the limit.

MarkJesser-DSC_0939.jpg.ec4ccf77699a59e45a0b56fc729adec7.jpg

That's me on the left looking smug.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, VRBroadgauge said:

If we can win a national competition with a Victorian Railways wagon with Mick Simpson's name on the side then the sky's the limit.

Congratulations! Hopefully you'll be winning with an LMS Crab next year...

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

World Famous Simpson Springs for the win....

Pic didn’t load but there’s one further up the post. Yellow sided billboard wagon. 

Edited by VRBroadgauge
Getting old
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had to write up a little blurb for the N Scale Convention Contest aftermath.

As both Kev and Steve know I hate contests. I entered three wagons simply to display some 2mm Association work. I didn't think we would win. It doesn't sit very well with me but it's got the Association out there in amongst the other stuff.

The blurb reads:

UB61 was a joint effort with myself, Kevin Knight and Steve Bigelow involved.

The chassis and bogies were designed by me and manufactured in nickel silver by PPD in Scotland. Wheel sets are by the 2mm Association that have been regauged to 10.5mm broad gauge. Couplers are Microtrains Z scale body mounts. Steve Bigelow designed the 3DP body. Decals and paint are by Kevin Knight.

This is but a fraction of the work done on my wagon roster by Kevin who has helped me greatly. 

I gratefully accept this award on behalf of myself and my friends.

• Like 6