Midland Railway Wagon identity.

Aire Head

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't think it's Midland. ISTR MR 5 planks were either strapless, had one diagonal and a vertical one, or two vertical straps.

LMS I reckon. Probably D1666.

Jason

It's only strapped on one side and has 4 planks which is why I don't think it can be a D1666. It might be the angle but it also looks too short for a 17'6' wagon. The page I found it on also states it has Midland Axlesboxes.

Edited by Aire Head

It's almost certainly been rebodied at some time, probably by the Dockyard given its location. The ironwork will be original but wasn't designed for four planks, the giveaway being the extent to which the bolts don't fit the planking.

It probably is of Midland origin, but axleboxes can be deceptive, being interchangeable to quite a high degree.

• Like 2

Chatham Dockyard seem to have had form on this sort of thing.  See a discussion in 2018 on RMWeb about an ex-Chatham Dockyard goods van now at Tenterden Town (K&ESR).  The consensus seems to be that it was originally a Midland vehicle that had been heavily altered once the Dockyard chippies got their hands on it...

• RMweb Premium

I'm fairly sure the underframe is Midland, the 9' 6" wheelbase / 16' 0" over headstocks type used on 5-plank 12 ton merchandise wagons, D302 and later D663A, also 12 ton mineral wagons such as D607. There are lots of things that match, down to the circular pads between the headstock and the buffer guide castings. But as others have said, the body has been rebuilt. Some ironwork has been re-used - the J-shaped washer plates for the bolts through from the side knees, though they've been shortened at the top, and probably the door hinges - the arrangement of the door fastenings is Midland. The oil axleboxes are the Midland pattern too.

A curiosity. I take it this is a photo from the 1970s/80s?

• Informative/Useful 1