Sand wagons

Does anyone here have any idea of BR sand wagon dimensions ? I have one or two old Hornby  27ton  iron ore tipplers which are I believe too low.  So they don't seem to be any use for anything else I wondered about cutting down the height of the bodies to convert them into sand wagons .  

Obviously new chassis would be needed. 

Thank you in advance.

Rob

Thank you Mike for your reply, I do understand that I can save time by buying them ready or almost ready to run, but i don't paticularly  need to save the time.  It's good to save the money though. 🙃

I had in mind to use Red Panda chassis, but I actually enjoy modifying existing parts.  Hence I have just completed a vanwide by stretching, narrowing and lowering a Hornby example.  I made the Oleo buffers, which also I could have bought. they took me a bit of time, but I enjoyed making them.  Brass bodies, steel heads. Non sprung.  I used a Parkside chassis and roof. It looks pretty good.I had no idea about vanwides until I bought the Hornby one, and was then showered with negative comments. 

I was told how ridiculous it was to even consider it, when I could go and pay getting on for £50 and save all the bother.

Very true of course, but if I hadn't already had the Hornby item, I wouldn't have bothered at all. 

All I need for the sand wagon is the height of the body sides. 

I am interested in wagons, and love building them.  Goodness knows what I will do with them all. 😀

Anyway Mike thank you again for your reply, I am very grateful.

I would post pictures if I could master the complexities of posting on here..

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, RobMG said:

Thank you Mike for your reply, I do understand that I can save time by buying them ready or almost ready to run, but i don't paticularly  need to save the time.  It's good to save the money though. 🙃

I had in mind to use Red Panda chassis, but I actually enjoy modifying existing parts.  Hence I have just completed a vanwide by stretching, narrowing and lowering a Hornby example.  I made the Oleo buffers, which also I could have bought. they took me a bit of time, but I enjoyed making them.  Brass bodies, steel heads. Non sprung.  I used a Parkside chassis and roof. It looks pretty good.I had no idea about vanwides until I bought the Hornby one, and was then showered with negative comments. 

I was told how ridiculous it was to even consider it, when I could go and pay getting on for £50 and save all the bother.

Very true of course, but if I hadn't already had the Hornby item, I wouldn't have bothered at all. 

All I need for the sand wagon is the height of the body sides. 

I am interested in wagons, and love building them.  Goodness knows what I will do with them all. 😀

Anyway Mike thank you again for your reply, I am very grateful.

I would post pictures if I could master the complexities of posting on here..

Rob

Here you go Rob

9E4A950C-568A-44AF-A017-C3E9886AEC9E.jpeg.9f01be0a4853db0a3d1c68cc41738cd9.jpeg 

This dimension is 11mm on the Bachmann 00 wagon

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

1 minute ago, Phil Bullock said:

Here you go Bob

9E4A950C-568A-44AF-A017-C3E9886AEC9E.jpeg.9f01be0a4853db0a3d1c68cc41738cd9.jpeg 

This dimension is 11mm on the Bachmann 00 wagon

Phil

Thank you Phil that is brilliant.  I will now go ahead with that little project, and see how I go . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RobMG said:

Thank you Phil that is brilliant.  I will now go ahead with that little project, and see how I go . 

Welcome! Have done something similar to get Coil Js….

47 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Welcome! Have done something similar to get Coil Js….

That sounds interesting. Any info you have re that would be useful for a future project. 

cheers

Rob  ( when I read Bob I chuckled,  My missus can't believe anyone called me Bob, But they did when I was a kid, but then for some reason people started calling me Rob 😄 )

What makes this more interesting is that BR seem to have converted iron ore tipplers to coil J's.

I just found a picture of one.

Maybe Hornby built those and BR weren't happy with them 😆

Rob 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RobMG said:

That sounds interesting. Any info you have re that would be useful for a future project. 

cheers

Rob  ( when I read Bob I chuckled,  My missus can't believe anyone called me Bob, But they did when I was a kid, but then for some reason people started calling me Rob 😄 )

Apologies! I was in two conversations at the same time, the other with RBage… who is Bob! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Those sort of basic dimensions are readily available in the diagram books (not scale drawings) at the Barrowmore site

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsand

Thanks for the reminder @hmrspaul… did search on line but couldn’t find that one, another valuable resource like your site…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing to consider, depending on how fussy you are, is that the end stanchions on the Hornby tipplers are incorrectly spaced.

A very cost effective way to make some different wagons whether you replace the stanchions or live with the compromise. 

Andy

20 hours ago, SM42 said:

One thing to consider, depending on how fussy you are, is that the end stanchions on the Hornby tipplers are incorrectly spaced.

A very cost effective way to make some different wagons whether you replace the stanchions or live with the compromise. 

Andy

Yes I remember reading that somewhere.

Unless I can find drawing or judge it from a picture, I will probably live with it.

Thanks for reminding me though.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Someone within a sand wagon from Bachmann could probably provide the dimensions for the end stanchions .

I would but unfortunately mine is 932 miles away at the moment

Andy

4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Someone within a sand wagon from Bachmann could probably provide the dimensions for the end stanchions .

I would but unfortunately mine is 932 miles away at the moment

Andy

I could ask, that is true .

Cheers Andy

Rob

On 21/04/2022 at 19:12, RobMG said:

I could ask, that is true .

Cheers Andy

Rob

I solved the problem. As soon as you had reminded me, I could no longer live with it.

I thought 'I wonder if I could get the measurements off a mineral wagon.  I had a squint,

and decided they look about right. So I have worked off that.

It was easy to do , no point spoiling the ship for ha'porth of tar eh....

Rob