Well, we did say it would be nice to see the E2....

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, jamieb said:

If Hornby did it in LBSC livery,they would be accused of creating a coarse model which was incomparable to other locos such as the E4,Terrier and Marsh Atlantic's,whereas this livery defines it as intended as a toy for kids 

Some people would respectfully point out that the price does nothing of the sort.

Yes - I'm fully aware that this might sound like implied criticism.

Don't worry - when criticism is valid and justifiable, some of us see no point in wasting our time implying this ... .

What's the bloody problem? It's a railroad model in a bright colour. Some young lad (or girl) is going to see that and possibly start on a journey that could last a life time. How is that in any way a negative? Some people take this hobby far too seriously. Whether it's a railroad E2ish thing or the latest hush hush model, we are playing with toy trains. It's supposed to be fun above all other considerations. 

The end. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 3

What might be nice, I suppose, would be some bodies for the Railroad mechanisms (a little more "likely" than Bachmann Junior) that either don't date back to the 70s, aren't Th*mas with minimal changes, or are a bit closer to scale. Not being one-off would be good, too. Black paint can deal with the liveries...

• RMweb Premium

What really gets my goat is the astounding comments on Hornby's Facebook threads which seem to consist of rose tinted glass wearing sycophantic Hornby Apologists who think that Margate can do no wrong and the light shineth from their proverbial orifice....

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

What really gets my goat is the astounding comments on Hornby's Facebook threads which seem to consist of rose tinted glass wearing sycophantic Hornby Apologists who think that Margate can do no wrong and the light shineth from their proverbial orifice....

The Internet has given rise to the concept of the vociferous fanboy. If you think Hornby supporters are sycophantic, those who worship Nikon, Sony and Canon are often truly fanatical about rivals' inferiority, when all logic says - and many tests prove! - all three companies produce splendid products. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Maybe thats because they've deleted/hidden the critical ones?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

"...and by the early 1900s they had become a mainstay of branch lines and shunting yards from Penzance to Poolewe."

Poolewe?

Perhaps there is such a thing as Alliterative Licence, akin to Poetic Licence.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

I still see references to Titfieldgate in answers at their FB-posts, and lots of complaints about the higher prices. 
I also answered some of their posts, some positive, some corrections of their statements, sometimes a question. I don't know if that qualifies me a Hornby Apologist? 

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

I suppose it is a bit unfathomable for an entire group of people all to share the same vocal opinion about Hornby. Their Facebook comments are the only place I ever see such a thing 😉

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

What's the bloody problem? It's a railroad model in a bright colour. Some young lad (or girl) is going to see that and possibly start on a journey that could last a life time. How is that in any way a negative? Some people take this hobby far too seriously. Whether it's a railroad E2ish thing or the latest hush hush model, we are playing with toy trains. It's supposed to be fun above all other considerations. 

The end. 

Fair comment. My guess is someone suggested a run in LBSCR umber, but marketing thought that was a little dull so they looked nearby for something prettier. It won't go with Grandad's Terrier, but it will sit nicely alongside his H. If a few adults like it there's no harm done and it funds the stuff we do like. 

The sales copy is a bit daft, but it's no worse than the kind of breathless prose I remember from Triang Hornby days and that never did me any harm.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1