BR (SR) BY Van

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Sometimes known as 'Aeroplane Vans'

15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Can you remember their (pi) lot number?

D2023, Carriage Lot 1051, Wolverton 1938, Nos. 44306-15 I presume.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Never model someone else's model - you never know whether it's right or not, and several on that site are not.

You may be giving sage advice but for some reason I don’t care.   At the end of the day I see modelling as creating an impression of the real thing rather than a photographic recreation.  That was my Grandfather’s* philosophy.  If that makes me a heretic in your eyes then so be it - again I don’t care.  In any event I like and enjoy that website  despite your kind words.

I hope you don’t mind me saying but someone appears to have stolen all the vowels from your name.

Cheers

Darius

* He was an artist and model maker who made dioramas for display in the Science Museum in London.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

You may be giving sage advice but for some reason I don’t care.   At the end of the day I see modelling as creating an impression of the real thing rather than a photographic recreation.  That was my Grandfather’s* philosophy.  If that makes me a heretic in your eyes then so be it - again I don’t care.  In any event I like and enjoy that website  despite your kind words.

I hope you don’t mind me saying but someone appears to have stolen all the vowels from your name.

Cheers

Darius

* He was an artist and model maker who made dioramas for display in the Science Museum in London.

I have to say that I agree with the advice not to model a model.

There really is no need when there is such a wealth of prototypical information available nowadays.

No one is saying that every model should be 100% accurate, or complete in every detail, but knowing what the prototype looked like can only result in a better model.

CJI.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Never model someone else's model - you never know whether it's right or not, and several on that site are not.

The key word is "inspiration",  (I cant see any mention of copy) in much the same way as the OP has "inspired" me to get my stash of van kits out.

I will construct them to the best of my ability, be it worse, as good as or better as the OP, ( the former being more likely) inspired by this topic, the EM70s websire, Mr Bartletts website, my own memories and various other sources, and the products, ie kits and transfers etc available to me.

As Mr Isherwood says there is a wealth of information available to all of us to attain our desired standard.

Perhaps as you have noted there are erroneous models on the EM70 site, and as this forum is a good place to share knowledge and tips for improving skills, you can share the errors with us ? 

As everyone can learn from others views, I presume you have pointed the errors out to the site owners, so they too  can improve their skills,  rather than just leaving cryptic statements here ?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

At the end of the day what I’m trying to create is a 1960s/1970s BR parcels train in all its grotty variety.  I am inspired* by the EM70s website because it reminds me of trips to London in the 1970s with BR Blue in its prime in a somewhat run-down environment.  I do make use of the fantastic resources made available on the web by Paul Bartlett and others to improve my modelling but when I’m happy with a model, I’m happy full stop, even if total prototypical reality hasn’t been achieved.  

Of course further improvement is achievable but, as you may have noticed, I get belligerent when being told what I should and shouldn’t do in what is supposed to be fun.

As Douglas Bader said: “Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men”.

Cheers

Darius

* hopefully not in the Hornby sense

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Its the name of several places in the UK. There are two semi-vowels in there [think 'y' in English, or 'j' in several european languages]. Cymru am byth.

11 hours ago, Simon Lee said:

Perhaps as you have noted there are erroneous models on the EM70 site, and as this forum is a good place to share knowledge and tips for improving skills, you can share the errors with us ? 

As everyone can learn from others views, I presume you have pointed the errors out to the site owners, so they too  can improve their skills,  rather than just leaving cryptic statements here ?

I assume sarcasm, as this would take several lifetimes, and I would get very little thanks for it. Some people are willing to learn, but it often just gets hostility in return, even from those not criticised, because they are unwilling to contemplate being wrong. The fundamental problem in most cases is lack of basic research; I remember the railways of the 1950s and 1960s, but would still want to check what I think I know. I have been caught out from time to time by kit manufacturers who got it wrong, have got it wrong myself, and have also been known to convert a wagon kit into a model of something other than what the designer intended. If you don't know what you are modelling, how can you produce even an impressionistic model of it which will look convincing when compared to reality?

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

As Douglas Bader said: “Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men”.

I learned that decades ago from my father who was an RAF regular. He was a senior NCO and sometimes commented that the problem was that too many people thought they were in the other category.

13 hours ago, Darius43 said:

You may be giving sage advice but for some reason I don’t care.

Your problem, not mine. I won't trouble you again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Its the name of several places in the UK. There are two semi-vowels in there [think 'y' in English, or 'j' in several european languages]. Cymru am byth.

I assume sarcasm, as this would take several lifetimes, and I would get very little thanks for it. Some people are willing to learn, but it often just gets hostility in return, even from those not criticised, because they are unwilling to contemplate being wrong. The fundamental problem in most cases is lack of basic research; I remember the railways of the 1950s and 1960s, but would still want to check what I think I know. I have been caught out from time to time by kit manufacturers who got it wrong, have got it wrong myself, and have also been known to convert a wagon kit into a model of something other than what the designer intended. If you don't know what you are modelling, how can you produce even an impressionistic model of it which will look convincing when compared to reality?

I learned that decades ago from my father who was an RAF regular. He was a senior NCO and sometimes commented that the problem was that too many people thought they were in the other category.

Your problem, not mine. I won't trouble you again.

I cannot help but wonder why Darius43 posts his builds here - unless he expects nothing but unsullied praise! One can come to no other conclusion, given that he admits to becoming "belligerent when being told what I should and shouldn’t do in what is supposed to be fun".

No-one here tells others what to do - they offer their personal perspective on what is displayed; it is for the OP to decide whether to take notice.

I suspect that the majority of members will continue to make honest comment - praise or criticism - concerning any model images posted here. If Darius43 objects to the latter, it might be better not to post in the first place?

CJI.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2022 at 21:08, Darius43 said:

For the BY van, I took my inspiration from the example on this website.

You could ask them the same question…

I plan to give it a further dose of weathering to really obscure the transparency of the windows.

Cheers

Darius

There may be some who aren't inspired by that website, if so their modelling quality must be off the scale compared to anything I as a humble peasant might dream of doing.

I'd defy anyone who has seen either Wibdenshaw or Hornsey Broadway not to be seriously impressed, and go home from the exhibition determined to build something!

John.

P.S. Both those layouts also demolish IMHO the idea that you aren't a real player unless you're modelling an actual prototype, even without any buses or labelling I could tell you where Hornsey Broadway is just by looking at the architecture, it is that convincing.

Edited by John Tomlinson
added P.S.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Darius43 said:

I post on here because I enjoy modelling and people like Mr Isherwood and Mr Consonants are in the minority.

Cheers

Darius

In which case, perhaps a note in your thread title that critical comments will be ignored might save the time of the minority.

CJI.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Chivers Finelines 6-wheel LMS Fish Van kit assembled as a BR Stores Van.

ADDAD195-796C-4361-88D1-690F3083E5B5.jpeg.ce52db93769ef34dd49d221789ea83ac.jpeg

1A7A279E-B0F7-44AA-B2E8-49846C1BD66D.jpeg.45364ad03c40592f549f9a5c31711182.jpeg

474F3048-5C67-4AD4-9BFD-A516214F4475.jpeg.c6cc1fe191083c776f21a6c0d01f406a.jpeg

I wasn’t keen on the dummy cut-off centre wheels that came with the kit so I removed the “pinpoints” from some 14mm dia. wheels and fitted them to a scratch-built (from plasticard) “caddy”.  This allows the centre wheel to move transversely and the wagon happily negotiates 3rd radius curves.

03A41126-B05B-4742-B4C6-D5FFE37656D9.jpeg.e0dbb5a0f3ad3d8987e5bfc19283fb29.jpeg

A7A3B87B-4994-4C6E-A41A-2372304AD25A.jpeg.6330dd018dc77996c0a0020a0ab7257b.jpeg

82E41C36-A9C7-428F-AD15-C2F21D15E551.jpeg.38bc2f058ee1b7337edcfb16778520dd.jpeg

CB3B61EB-B37A-4A1D-BA66-835B58F11C61.jpeg.9a127448d1d809d9c54126c5fdb084d8.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Will that caddy last OK with usage, compared to the brass bearings?  I think I would have tried to use a length of brass tubing, although I never like removing wheels from axles to fit inside bearings or to remove the points in case the wheel doesn;t want to go back on true.

I like your Parkside CCT with  vents in RTC livery, though I don't recognise it -  is it a generator van, "freelance" or did the running number just get used again ?  https://departmentals.com/photo/adb975973-2

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michael,

Firstly the generator van should be RDB not ADB - Well spotted - I will replace the “A” with an “R” tomorrow.

The Stores Van is unlikely to get too much usage.  I may enlarge the caddy ‘slots’ and line them with brass etch strip - horseshoe style.

Cheers

Darius

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Stores Van completed.

30883F6B-9139-4857-9B79-3E4C7AED2C34.jpeg.16b1b94c591a4f8dd938315de7e066c4.jpeg

6EEA219B-D20E-4C61-8DF8-0740D686AD1C.jpeg.0a27f2712e6d235b0d4c7e9051b88abb.jpeg

4EB9561A-423D-4742-932C-27A39E0ED054.jpeg.4f72d34e6f1a316385be41d332ea4a40.jpeg

28B8895A-8159-41D1-BA48-02F0E86E621B.jpeg.5a4e7ed0eac11ec5b431ccba24da2f87.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

I remember seeing these vans passing Alsager on their way between Crewe Works and Derby Loco, conveying stillages of loco spares, back at the beginning of the 1980s. Later, I would see them working to Gateshead depot; I think they lasted until the end of that decade. These workings had a real mixture of stock, with Flatrols, Lowmacs, amongst other types. The flat wagons   would be carrying diesel engines and generators, along with bogies and sometimes even replacement cabs. The vans would originally have been regulars in parcels services, but were subject to speed restrictions in later years.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

RTC Generator Van with corrected “RDB” prefix.  Also took the opportunity to paint the handrails white.

D52A4593-3763-4942-8C06-996ADD16443A.jpeg.a0095b89e7f9da6406ece41582d7b3d1.jpeg

275F2939-180E-4588-9F48-7E3CAD28D2E0.jpeg.66791ec568590def915774799285aeff.jpeg

1C47A0DD-9D72-47F3-AE31-397827E93F5F.jpeg.6fd5a0788d9fb2f85c067a6ffa2d3257.jpeg

19F02F82-9C75-4028-823B-41905A2F299F.jpeg.779dc5f4c62d0776d47062333834d7c2.jpeg

Interesting contrast between the Phoenix Rail Blue on the Generator Van and the non Rail Blue shade on the Hornby RTC wagon on the right.  Perhaps Hornby’s contracted factory in China has the wrong colour codes…

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 3