BR (SR) BY Van

• RMweb Gold

Next two vans in the formation under construction.

F0A4C863-0423-4038-A73A-62E87E9A3568.jpeg.f59e4a3c2c8850e81c95fb0edf426ade.jpeg

991468F9-19BD-4B4B-B1BC-147656F327C3.jpeg.3bfc8c1c1e41f436411a68e407c40232.jpeg

Not sure if these LMS CCT vans ever made it into BR blue but, if not, they will be a rule 1 addition.  Got some LMS motor car van kits to build, which I know were finished in BR blue.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2022 at 12:18, Darius43 said:

Fancied a change from building Fish Vans…

0520AFA2-0DAD-461A-BAEE-1E0A8EDF0167.jpeg.0b53ab3c6373e2c9b25ead8ef4441058.jpeg

D6F8DD90-BD3B-4928-887E-C2B07DC1551A.jpeg.0d0884c0ec4483786f842a03985d3ad2.jpeg

C8584E2D-95A1-4800-B02F-BCEC4DF1881F.jpeg.3f925c26f9f2e74d252dbbf43d9060b9.jpeg

CDD52F4A-394A-464F-9055-A418C1A81C6A.jpeg.350ac9e8bd201f3fe882bf3d42427682.jpeg

01F93CAA-5063-4C99-9B23-F724711162BF.jpeg.4501579c5c2123db5f6512df25c842fb.jpeg

6255B81B-4AD0-45D5-9529-51C64B2734AF.jpeg.304b78e1a4cba1b52c46c52075039fd1.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

It could be an effect of the lighting, but the ex-SR vans look to be more of a military drab shade than BR(SR) green.

What paint did you use?

CJI.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I used Phoenix BR engineers olive with a touch of track colour mixed in, followed by some weathering mists of track colour mixed with some yellow.  It was very sunny when I took the photos.   

Cheers

Darius

Southern U vans seemed to pick up far more brake-block dust (which was a rusty orange colour) than other stock so they really do need to be thoroughly weathered. I remember in the late-1960s trying to work out whether one at Waterloo had been repainted blue or was still green. I eventually realised that I could just make out some of the lettering and that the type face used revealed that the vehicle was blue and not green.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

I used Phoenix BR engineers olive with a touch of track colour mixed in, followed by some weathering mists of track colour mixed with some yellow.  It was very sunny when I took the photos.   

Cheers

Darius

Assuming that the intention was not to represent departmental vans, why did you not use the correct BR(SR) green?

IMHO, the only way to convincingly represent weathered stock is to apply an ex-works finish and then weather it - exactly as per the prototype.

To my eyes, your ex-SR vans look like BR Engineers' vehicles.

Sorry - just my two penn'orth.

CJI.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at pictures on Paul Bartlett’s site and tried to get close to the basic “hue” as I perceived it.  

As has been mentioned, more weathering is definitely required - almost plank by plank, plus some chalk markings etc.

I’m just having fun building and painting kits.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Next two vans in the formation under construction.

Not sure if these LMS CCT vans ever made it into BR blue but, if not, they will be a rule 1 addition.  Got some LMS motor car van kits to build, which I know were finished in BR blue.

Cheers

Darius

Plenty went into blue, they lasted into the early 1980s 

as https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels/e1948338f and several others in that collection. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul - great  photos.  The vans I am currently building are the versions with the small top light windows and no external angle bracing.  I have kits of the CCT versions in your  photos to build though so these photos will be very useful.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Assuming that the intention was not to represent departmental vans, why did you not use the correct BR(SR) green?

IMHO, the only way to convincingly represent weathered stock is to apply an ex-works finish and then weather it - exactly as per the prototype.

To my eyes, your ex-SR vans look like BR Engineers' vehicles.

Sorry - just my two penn'orth.

CJI.

793AEE09-19D4-4796-8470-B5A310579618.jpeg.010716cb57cabdbbbe7ef0db623964b3.jpeg

You do it your way, and I’ll do it my way.

Cheers

Darius

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Darius43 said:

Thanks Mike.  They certainly do and they are quick/fun to build.  

Got a few more on the conveyor belt…

Cheers

Darius

Also, not that there's anything wrong with yours, form a good basis at the price for adding finer detail, eg more undergubbins, wire handrails/door handles, better buffers etc, so they keep everybody happy.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

On the Southern vans it's very easy to scratch the glazing bars onto the back of the clear plastic sheet with a blunt blade (best done before cutting out).

DSCF2877.JPG.bd794ff6fcf4fb18ac8967ee83970d71.JPG 

I paint mine with acrylic paint and wipe it off as it dries. On one older build I even made a second set of glazed windows and fitted those behind the originals, worked even better.

Lovely clean builds BTW Darius.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

793AEE09-19D4-4796-8470-B5A310579618.jpeg.010716cb57cabdbbbe7ef0db623964b3.jpeg

You do it your way, and I’ll do it my way.

Cheers

Darius

Fine - I just thought that, having seen hundreds of the real thing when they were an everyday sight, I might be able to assist you in creating more accurate models.

I know that there are advocates of painting models in a colour that comes close to their extremely weathered state - but I have yet to see one that convinces me.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Fine - I just thought that, having seen hundreds of the real thing when they were an everyday sight, I might be able to assist you in creating more accurate models.

I know that there are advocates of painting models in a colour that comes close to their extremely weathered state - but I have yet to see one that convinces me.

CJI.

Alas you did it in your customary acerbic and unpleasant way with predictable results.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

On the Southern vans it's very easy to scratch the glazing bars onto the back of the clear plastic sheet with a blunt blade (best done before cutting out).

DSCF2877.JPG.bd794ff6fcf4fb18ac8967ee83970d71.JPG 

I paint mine with acrylic paint and wipe it off as it dries. On one older build I even made a second set of glazed windows and fitted those behind the originals, worked even better.

Lovely clean builds BTW Darius.

Regards Shaun.

The great advantage I have in modelling late 60's/early 70's is that windows on Southern region wooden bodied parcels stock were so filthy as to be unrecognisable as glass, so the glazing bars are rarely needed!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

The great advantage I have in modelling late 60's/early 70's is that windows on Southern region wooden bodied parcels stock were so filthy as to be unrecognisable as glass, so the glazing bars are rarely needed!

Mike.

You beat me to it Mike.  I was about to say that I weathered the windows so as to be almost completely opaque.

Cheers

Darius

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Alas you did it in your customary acerbic and unpleasant way with predictable results.

Cheers

Darius

Having reread my post, I can see nothing at which to take offence.

Being Lancastrian by birth, I tell it as I see it - better than the flannel which is all to prevalent nowadays.

I post pictures of my models and accept any observations that are forthcoming as the honest opinions of those who make them.

If anything less than fulsome praise is going to offend - best not to post, perhaps?

CJI.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I don’t buy this Lancastrian (or any other region) straight talking excuse - being rude and unpleasant, as you frequently are on this website, is what it is.

I am happy to accept constructive criticism and have done on many occasions to the betterment of the models under construction.   When, as with your posts here, it is delivered in a back handed way then I am minded to ignore it.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1