RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

Signs of progress on some topics I follow.

Earlier today (Australia time) three Topics I know well were empty of photos back to their start 2012, 2015 etc. Now 12 hours later I've rechecked and two of them are well populated with the OP's pics, another is getting some back others still missing.

It's happening, slowly as might be expected given the TBs involved.

Given the enormity of the tasks involved it's not possible to heap too much praise on Andy and his co-workers so I add mine to all the others who have given thanks.

Colin

I've noticed that, when I'm posting  I've seen some missing avatars suddenly re-appear.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I've noticed that, when I'm posting  I've seen some missing avatars suddenly re-appear.

I'm working on various ones bit by bit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Password Reset not working?

Likely another for @AY Mod's list (much belated praise for the effort in rebuilding - I have been somewhere similar but not on such a public scale!)

I am sending this from my work laptop which is logged into RM Web, but my home laptop isn't logged in. Since it appears that I have forgotten my password, I have made several attempts to use the 'Forgotten Password' link from that laptop but have not received any emails with the reset link. I have checked both inbox and junk/spam to no avail and that my account settings really does use the email I am using so I think it must be a system thing!

All the time I have one laptop logged in then I can still contribute but it would be nice to be able to use my home laptop too!

Many thanks

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Andy Vincent said:

All the time I have one laptop logged in then I can still contribute but it would be nice to be able to use my home laptop too!

Yes, there's still a system email issue which won't be fixed until next week. PM me if you need to do a password reset (even I can't see existing ones).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Andy Vincent said:

Password Reset not working?

Likely another for @AY Mod's list (much belated praise for the effort in rebuilding - I have been somewhere similar but not on such a public scale!)

I am sending this from my work laptop which is logged into RM Web, but my home laptop isn't logged in. Since it appears that I have forgotten my password, I have made several attempts to use the 'Forgotten Password' link from that laptop but have not received any emails with the reset link. I have checked both inbox and junk/spam to no avail and that my account settings really does use the email I am using so I think it must be a system thing!

Many thanks

Andy

If your on Chrome or Firefox you can look up your saved passwords (I'm not certain about other domains). Obviously your password is saved on your work laptop so perhaps you can find it there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Andy and team for working through what are very frustrating and annoying issues to get RMweb back up and running.

I've been doing a bit of picture restoration for my S&P blog, and it seems that the missing images are a bit random in terms of time. There's a posting from Feb 2020 that is missing images, but there are later ones complete, with some missing in between. Is there an indexing process working away in the background at getting links to images corrected, or am I going to have to go through and fix all images, even before March 2021?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad RMWeb is back but it looks like photos from more than a year ago are gone…

69FCDBCE-9F1A-45FD-85A1-7F1D70F6294A.jpeg.546b2e76c4406c3d34d2812c6d7f4587.jpeg

This is what I see on several of my old posts - no picture, just an outline with this picture reference.

I guess we can’t look back for now, but presumably the backup process will catch up with these images in due course.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done and thank you to Andy and the RMWeb team.

Onwards and upwards...must have been a heck of a lot of modelling done whilst the site was down...😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, westerhamstation said:

My Gold Membership seems to have vanished, or is it something that I just need a bit of patience with and it will reappear in due course

when everything has settled down. All the best Adrian.

Temporary gold-plating applied pending proper fix. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Calm down mate - whilst you were getting all sanctimonious, I edited my post to mention the backup process.

Err... OK - I don't know how to answer that without appearing rude (I'm not trying to be, I promise!), and I'm sorry you saw it that way and that I didn't see your edits before I posted my reply. In the interest's of everyone's sanity, let's just enjoy the fact we have a fast-running forum now! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

34 minutes ago, bcnPete said:

Well done and thank you to Andy and the RMWeb team.

I'll second that.

I was in IT support in some role or other for 20 years. It is horrible when systems go down. The users/customer sees nothing but you are working extra in the background (sometimes all night after a full day). It is not unusual to try the least invasive solution first, but it has taken you a day or more just to find that out before moving on to another possibility.

I think I read earlier that you used the opportunity to migrate to AWS? That should take care of future hardware issues.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have joined world of railways in order to get RMweb gold, but unfortunately the link from WoR to link your accounts is broken. It points to https://www.rmweb.co.uk/rmweb-integration/rmweb-integration.php but that says “Sorry, the page doesn’t exist”. Sorry to add to your list of woes Andy, but I would like gold status as the ads really make my (rather ancient) iPad creak and groan. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Well done Andy for sorting this potential (or was it a real) IT doomsday scenario. You deserve every credit for restoring the forum which gives so many of us a fantastic resource. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I have joined world of railways in order to get RMweb gold, but unfortunately the link from WoR to link your accounts is broken. It points to https://www.rmweb.co.uk/rmweb-integration/rmweb-integration.php but that says “Sorry, the page doesn’t exist”. Sorry to add to your list of woes Andy, but I would like gold status as the ads really make my (rather ancient) iPad creak and groan. 

We should have that operational again next week. Please hold fire.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great job Andy. I love this site as it provides a nice escape from the "real world." Perhaps I take it for granted and do not fully realize what it takes to keep RMweb running. I do promise, no more griping about the ads, no more complaining when things seem to slow down a bit. Thanks!

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It would appear that, in the few days the forum was down,

some people have forgotten about checking previous posts,

before duplicating requests/observations that have already

been made.

Andy & Co have enough to deal with, without reading through

unnecessary posts.

They have worked hard over the last week, and are still

plodding away on our behalf.  Let's do our bit and not add

to their workload.

Edited by rab
  • Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Checked them out...https://www.linkedin.com/company/invisionapp and of course using Amazon cloud data hosting should be much more reliable.

From my old days in the software business  (Cognos before IBM bought it and before we had cloud hosting) they seem to be a reasonable choice. 

Performance from this remote location is extremely good even with limited 50 MBPS ATT DSL service (they won't upgrade to fiber in my neighborhood as they are waiting for 5G WIFI/ Home Internet towers to be built and they can market that for more money without the higher capital outlay of laying fiber in older (1975) neighborhoods.)

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I've restored some of the more recent photos by deleting the image and providing a link to Flickr. To be frank, I'm not sure I'm going to bother restoring all images I've uploaded-if anyone desperately wants to see one, they can ping me a message, and I'll restore on an on demand basis.

I guess I could edit any posts with missing images with words to that effect.

Or easier still - add a note to your signature file. e.g.

"If any images are missing from this post, which you wish to see, please message me and I will try my best to restore them as time permits."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Or easier still - add a note to your signature file. e.g.

"If any images are missing from this post, which you wish to see, please message me and I will try my best to restore them as time permits."

That is a good idea, thanks!

• Like 2