RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

You also need to take off the 'index.php':

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/106732-4digit-dcc-address-problem/

You will find that neither the edited link that I've posted OR the edited link you have posted will work  (the original link is still embeded underneath) but if you click on either of them, you then get the broken link page and THEN editing the Community/     out. . It will work. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Simple bookmark fix is to open another browser tab and delete the old bookmark, then close that tab and add the homepage or whichever RMweb page is preferred as new bookmark from this page. It can be dragged back up in your favorites list. In my case to the top😀

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Performance seems to be good tonight, taking some getting used to as for the last month of the old server I could go to the coffee machine and get a brew whilst waiting for the next page to come up.

6 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

My gold membership seems to have dropped off but I am assuming that is something unrelated as the payment was due today.

Re-appeared as quickly as it went off, must have got notification that the DD had actually worked.

3 hours ago, rocor said:

most of those earlier than this are also non-visible, but those that do exhibit themselves, are in blocks of four to six that were originally posted in date order.

Unfortunately, I can not offer any explanation for this.  

All of the one of mine that have come back so far have been in one month blocks, for example in 2020 all images are missing except for those posted in May and December. Hopefully some more will gradually reappear, and I have only put up about 50 items since the most recent that are showing now which is the ones uploaded in May 2021.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Re-appeared as quickly as it went off, must have got notification that the DD had actually worked

I did a quick temp fix pending a proper solution.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Probably as a result of something I've done..........or not done most likely, I can't see my own thread in my activity stream. 

Ticked content I started and content I've posted in but it doesn't appear. Other threads I've posted in are there. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Probably as a result of something I've done..........or not done most likely, I can't see my own thread in my activity stream. 

Ticked content I started and content I've posted in but it doesn't appear. Other threads I've posted in are there. 

Rob. 

Are you getting this message? 

FCE49961-E69E-464B-B890-F7644F726ED7.png

If so, then remove the /community part of the URL and it may do the job. Think browsers are caching the old URL in some way for a period.

E.t.a. You only need to remove the /community part of the URL. The rest gets sorted as the page loads.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Sorted. No idea what I've done but it's working now..........

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It is absolutely zipping along now. Wish the UI on the system I am responsible for at work was as quick!

I have to admit to a dirty little secret- I dabbled in the dark side while RMWeb was in life support, using a well known railway forum whose name consists of four consonants. It's a darn sight quicker than the old RMWeb was, but I think the resurrected RMWeb is quicker still.

Whilst the dark side is alluring and powerful, and certainly full of interesting gen, it's somehow not as fun, broad ranging and easygoing as here.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Sorted. No idea what I've done but it's working now..........

Bits and pieces seem to be coming back on stream as time progresses.  I believe Andy did say this is a work in progress.  It took me several attempts to upload a new avatar image for example because the old one (which had been used for many years) was apparently very much too big but was accepted at the time.  All it took was to (a) understand that a re-size was required and (b) locate and resize a suitable and up-to-date image.  The old one dated from 2005.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ISW said:

Andy,

I've noticed on my Layout topic that I'm 'missing' photos / attachments that go back as far as 2018, not just the last year. The 'links' are there, but not the contents. Am I correct in thinking these will reappear in the coming days as the 'system' sorts itself out?

Ian

Wot ee sed :)

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There seem to be a lot of queries about if/when/what photos will reappear.

i can understand the concerns of those who have loaded photos over the years, but rather than continually questioning this, would it not be better to wait a few days until the restore operation is complete.

In other words: Don't panic Mr. Mannering, don't panic!!!

Edited by rab
Fat finger syndrome
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

But... spark plugs work off electrickery, don't they?

St Enodoc BSc CEng FIMechE

Mechanically attached to the engine block and electrical connection by external threads.

Fired by high tension electricity.

Possibly one of the first mass produced solid state devices, so is it maybe covered by electronics?

Whatever it is, it doesn't change the fact that you won't be able to rely on clean hands engineers come the apocalypse.

R. Kitts-Wolf BFA (Hons) BSc Chasing girls and falling off  motorbikes (or possibly the other way around)

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

It is absolutely zipping along now. Wish the UI on the system I am responsible for at work was as quick!

I have to admit to a dirty little secret- I dabbled in the dark side while RMWeb was in life support, using a well known railway forum whose name consists of four consonants. It's a darn sight quicker than the old RMWeb was, but I think the resurrected RMWeb is quicker still.

Whilst the dark side is alluring and powerful, and certainly full of interesting gen, it's somehow not as fun, broad ranging and easygoing as here.

Do tell me where. It doesn't start with a "Y" by any chance does it?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy, any chance the "ignore thread" feature can be switched back on? I think it went when you switched to basic mode?

I'm a dog person, you see 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Oh. That's a bit of a spanner in the works.

Andy - do you have a date more accurate than 'about a year ago' after which the lost images will not be shown?

My plan is to start with the most recent and with a bit of luck somewhere along the way I'll meet myself coming back, so to speak.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1