RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

9 hours ago, john new said:

Wayback doesn’t always copy images. I take your word that for RMWeb it has, as I haven’t checked, but in the past I have tried to reload images from other sites and the text is all there but with gaps where the images were.

yes I agree.

It is case specific though -  I was just going by what barnaby had sound for the postings he’d checked of his own.

In general it depends on how a website presents itself to web crawlers as to whether wayback collects images.
It is likely to have other rules about what imagery it gathers as well.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, steve howe said:

When this site first went down and then came back up again, I spent a considerable amount of time re-loading all the images to my current layout thread https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/137565-sandsifters/ thinking all was well.

I have just looked again and am "disappointed" to find that virtually all the images all but a few on the last page have once again disappeared. This is so frustrating as non-modelling friends frequently like to check in on what I've been doing, and the thread is the only record I have of the project from start to finish. My other long-standing construction thread https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/95206-lower-rose-goods/#comment-1755373

has also suffered the same fate. 

I don't suppose it matters to Warner's or RMWeb management that hours of people's work has been lost here, but it leaves me saddened that several years' worth of carefully documented work can no longer be accessed.

That's a bit unfair. At the time of the problems, and the initial attempts to recover images, there was quite a bit of talk of the site being in flux and it not being a good time to do any image reloads. That remains true even today.

As for Warners/RMweb, if the images can't be brought back then that's a big problem as there are many threads where the lack of the images destroys the value of the thread and means fewer people likely to want to use the site, which consequently would lead to loss of income. So it's very much in their interests to try and get the images back.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Administrators
22 hours ago, steve howe said:

I have just looked again and am "disappointed" to find that virtually all the images all but a few on the last page have once again disappeared.

Having been on the receiving end of your barbed comments yesterday I thought I would investigate further your point about images you re-uploaded not appearing.

I looked at a sample post, the last one before the server move, https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/137565-sandsifters/?do=findComment&comment=4773813 and went into the edit function.

The images were there but the new images hadn't been embedded in the text; I simply removed the links in the post and clicked on each uploaded image to get them to show correctly. If you had asked for 'assistance' rather than unnecessary comments it would have been better for all.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Having been on the receiving end of your barbed comments yesterday I thought I would investigate further your point about images you re-uploaded not appearing.

I looked at a sample post, the last one before the server move, https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/137565-sandsifters/?do=findComment&comment=4773813 and went into the edit function.

The images were there but the new images hadn't been embedded in the text; I simply removed the links in the post and clicked on each uploaded image to get them to show correctly. If you had asked for 'assistance' rather than unnecessary comments it would have been better for all.

Andy,

Well done, that is very kind of you considering what was said.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
Just now, ChrisN said:

Well done, that is very kind of you considering what was said.

Thanks Chris,

In essence I'm here to help; not to have unpleasantries lobbed at me, particularly outside of normal working hours.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks Chris,

In essence I'm here to help; not to have unpleasantries lobbed at me, particularly outside of normal working hours.

So during working hours is not so bad then?

If I were you I’d have just deleted the images…..oops 🤣

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Could the new hosting company assist in providing some progress reports on the restoration process? That might take some of the heat off. 

We've all become so used to the RMweb image firebox being fired little & often with pictures that it's easy to forget how many terabytes of data there is behind it, all needing shovelling back into the tender.

Mark

• Like 2

• Administrators
Just now, 2mmMark said:

Could the new hosting company assist in providing some progress reports on the restoration process?

Let me just say it's proving difficult.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Let me just say it's proving difficult.

From experience, data migration is hard enough when everyone is co-operating - it must be a nightmare when one party isn't...

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Nick C said:

From experience, data migration is hard enough when everyone is co-operating - it must be a nightmare when one party isn't...

The more so if the migration has to be done without pre-planning.

• Agree 4

32 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

oy! Leave access alone, I’ve built entire document control systems based on it ;)

Access is fine with a very small number of concurrent users. Once had to sort out the mess of a user who deployed Access database which ended up with 20+ users - it wasn't pretty 😀

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Following a tip from Andy, I've just reloaded the missing pictures on my Exhill Works topic by going into the edit section of each post with missing pictures and inserted them again as they are all there waiting to be reloaded.

Many thanks Andy for your tireless service to correct a problem caused by a third party 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Following a tip from Andy, I've just reloaded the missing pictures on my Exhill Works topic by going into the edit section of each post with missing pictures and inserted them again as they are all there waiting to be reloaded.

Many thanks Andy for your tireless service to correct a problem caused by a third party 

It's still pot luck, it won't work for all posts I'm afraid.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

oy! Leave access alone, I’ve built entire document control systems based on it ;)

I've earnt a living of sorts by it, on and off since 1994. That's how I know it's pros and cons (mainly cons these days)...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Apologies if this has been answered before but since the outage iam unable to visit several topics including layout topics & prototype discussions to name but two.

I get a message saying 'Rmweb cannot handle this request'

I tried logging off to no avail. I mostly view on my smart phone using Samsung Internet browser and have had no issues with other sites.

Regards Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Same here. If I click "Layout topics" either at the top of a thread screen or directly from the menu, all I get is "Cannot complete this request". It doesn't matter if I use a different browser, log out or use a browser that someone else is having no problems with or use a totally different device.

I can read the topics I follow, plus any topics linked therein.

This has been ongoing since the crash.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Same here. If I click "Layout topics" either at the top of a thread screen or directly from the menu, all I get is "Cannot complete this request". It doesn't matter if I use a different browser, log out or use a browser that someone else is having no problems with or use a totally different device.

I can read the topics I follow, plus any topics linked therein.

This has been ongoing since the crash.

I have the same - including both the abovementioned fora (Layout Topics and Prototype Discussions). I think I've mentioned it already, but might not have!

• Like 2